What ever happened to Tony Russ?

Htm84

WKR
Title wave in Anchorage has a few of the signed first editions. Kinda expensive in my opinion but they have them.
0FF830DA-4494-4683-B065-273194B9ED54.jpeg

Title wave in Anchorage has a few of the signed first editions. Kinda expensive in my opinion but they have them.
View attachment 520029

Ha thanks I just got off the phone with them after calling a bunch of local shops, I’ll be going in tomorrow to grab one.

My beautiful wife picked up “sheep stalking in Alaska” at the library for me, I’ll be starting that tonight. I’m still going to be on the hunt for my own copy.

Thanks for all the assistance everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ha thanks I just got off the phone with them after calling a bunch of local shops, I’ll be going in tomorrow to grab one.

My beautiful wife picked up “sheep stalking in Alaska” at the library for me, I’ll be starting that tonight. I’m still going to be on the hunt for my own copy.

Thanks for all the assistance everyone

You’ll find one. I see them on eBay fairly often. Never seemed like a rare book, sort of surprised I didn’t see one on eBay.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Years ago Tonye stopped promoting his sheep hunting book and bought the rights to republish a couple of other author's books like from Dennis Confer's Hunt Alaska Now. Back then people stopped reading books and the slow death of publishing hasn't stopped. I heard Tony was focused on family and drawing the few nickels from book sales within his publishing company.

About the same time that Chris Batin got old and faded out. He was living in Talkeetna and fishing more than hunting when Mike Strahan's book hit the market. Batin published Strahan's Float Hunting Book but didn't make much off sales and is not doing much business today.

Thanks again everyone for looking out. I’ll have a copy of “Sheep hunting in Alaska” in my hand today. I’m about halfway through “Sheep stalking in Alaska” and it has become very clear to me I will need a copy of my own. There is so much valuable information on each page I’ll need to reread it a few times, and I’ll be able to write in it.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not surprisingly you'll find those guys' titles and mine for sale in Anchorage going for $65+. Hunting books don't sell these days. World is changing and how-to information is cheap and devalued...audience can get educated faster and without reading books and the markets seem to support that movement. If it ain't digiatl you're losing.

From a publisher's perspective, the cost of printing in the US is comparably a rocket thruster compared to the cost of my first book in 2000. In fact, I can't afford to reprint 2nd Edition A Complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska because post-Covid MOQs, paper prices, tooling and reprint costs have price-pointed me out of the potential number of readers for that title. It doesn't make good business sense to reprint some good hunting books these days, so when you find the ones you like it might be worth grabin' them for posterity.

kaboku68

WKR
Larry, I would buy multiple copies of a book that you might write about how you were an industry innovator and designer who had all the great ideas that were then copied by copycats. You were always about three steps ahead of the rest of the industry.

Got a copy of “Sheep hunting in Alaska” and I was able to look through “Rampages 1-2-3”, I’ll be getting that also.

I’m going to keep stalking all the usual places for “Sheep stalking in Alaska”.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not surprisingly you'll find those guys' titles and mine for sale in Anchorage going for $65+. Hunting books don't sell these days. World is changing and how-to information is cheap and devalued...audience can get educated faster and without reading books and the markets seem to support that movement. If it ain't digiatl you're losing.

From a publisher's perspective, the cost of printing in the US is comparably a rocket thruster compared to the cost of my first book in 2000. In fact, I can't afford to reprint 2nd Edition A Complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska because post-Covid MOQs, paper prices, tooling and reprint costs have price-pointed me out of the potential number of readers for that title. It doesn't make good business sense to reprint some good hunting books these days, so when you find the ones you like it might be worth grabin' them for posterity.
Float draggin alaska more or less has a permanent spot on my table at work. Not even on the shelf, actually on the table. As far as my collection goes, I put your book easily in my top 5 (I have a great collection of hunting books) right there next to rampages 123 and bowhunting alaskas wild rivers by Jay Massey.

I have Stephan’s book, russ’ books and some others that I wouldn’t even notice for awhile if they disappeared.

Last edited:

cruzer17

FNG
Just a coincidence that my wife just picked this one up at a local thrift shop in Palmer today. I've read both of his sheep hunting books and looking forward to this one....especially since I drew a fall kodiak bear tag this year.

Attachments

• 20230225_135346.jpg
    20230225_135346.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 11
I picked up sheep Stalking off Amazon last summer. Just now cracking it open.
I drew Delta so refocusing and doubling down.
I plan to get Rampage as soon as I get a bigger Paycheck… or maybe if Barney’s still has a copy.
I’ll be down in the Wasilla area in July for a Pup Test so worst case I might have to reach out to Lew then.

I was looking for some seminars or more help- I couldn’t make it to Sheep University this weekend.
@MountainTracker if you can- Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation is doing seminars this Saturday. $20 for the day I believe.

I knew there was the banquet happening this weekend, sold out. I wasn’t aware there were separate seminars. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into it and see what the times are.

I knew there was the banquet happening this weekend, sold out. I wasn’t aware there were separate seminars. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into it and see what the times are.

334199185_177441981685165_3488219513555486500_n.jpg

I wanted to go really bad, just wasn't in the cards this year. Hopefully you can make it @MountainTracker !

Broomd

WKR
I'm close to you in Southern BC (have a PO Box in Idaho actually). I've never read the 'stalking' book from Russ but if you'd ever oblige that offer let me know. Glad to meet up sometime in Idaho and loan you a sheep book or two in trade if interested.
Sorry I missed this reply!
Lemme dig in the book stash and see what I can find. I think I have all the Tony Russ books still.

Did sell most of my mountain Goat hunting stuff--Duncan Gilchrist etc, a few years ago.