What size fish/freezer box for processed White-Tailed Deer

KTMSteve

FNG
Hey All,

Getting ready to do a deer hunt in Illinois and my plan is to have the deer processed there and bring it back frozen in fish/styrofoam cooler boxes via a two hour airplane ride to Denver. Just wondering what size boxes any of you have used for this same purpose. Talking to the processor today I was told to expect 50-60 lbs of processed meat. Planning on using two boxes to keep it under the checked baggage weight limit. Appreciate any replies.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Polar Bear 48qt soft cooler. I use one to bring processed whitetail home from Massachusetts to Florida. An overnight freeze and it stays frozen for the 6 hours it takes get to my freezer at home. Holds right at 47-49 pounds perfectly. I did wrap an extra 5 or6 pounds in a puffy and put it in my carry on one year, it worked out okay.

OP
K

KTMSteve

FNG
Polar Bear 48qt soft cooler. I use one to bring processed whitetail home from Massachusetts to Florida. An overnight freeze and it stays frozen for the 6 hours it takes get to my freezer at home. Holds right at 47-49 pounds perfectly. I did wrap an extra 5 or6 pounds in a puffy and put it in my carry on one year, it worked out okay.
Great info thanks for the reply. I’ll have a look at that.

Kurts86

WKR
In simple math 2 lbs of meat = 1 quart if it’s packed 100% efficiently. I’ve never had issues flying home with a cheap 48 quart cooler and a deer boned out.