When will InReach / Zoleo / Satelite phones be obsolete?

cwpepper

FNG
Will modern day cell phones have satellite capabilities to meet the needs of the western hunter soon? From some quick google research I see that iPhone 14 and newer, and newer Android phones have the capability now... it seems it's just a matter of time before service providers such as Verizon have comparable and affordable options. What do you all think and know? Has there been any good articles out there on this?

I'm a new father and hunt typical of a western hunter about 15-30 days in the field so having an InReach or Zoleo does have its benefits. I don't currently have one but have been considering it. I'd really hate to drop hundreds of dollars and do the initial subscription plans just for 1-2 years from now have this technology readily available in your standard cell phone.

carter33

WKR
I have no special insight into any of the major cell providers but my guess is within the next 3 years or so we will see some sort of option where satellite coverage to call or text is available, at a price of course. After that it probably won't be long until data coverage is also available, that day will be sad in many respects but will of course be another tool also.

Holocene

WKR
I'm looking forward to the day when smartphones include satellite messaging and emergency distress, but hope Garmin and Zoleo etc. stick around so market competition keeps subscription prices reasonable.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Any one have any new updates on this? Are there cellular plans out there yet and has anyone had experience with the satellite capability on new phones?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Saw what I assume to be engineers looking at one of my favorite glassing knobs in NF to throw a cell tower on… super bummed me out. Where can we go to get away once we have cell towers all over the back country?

TaperPin

WKR
Coaches and secretaries all over the country will have a harder time taking vacations together when this happens.

In my 20’s while working for the Forest Service a request to track down a local outfitter and give a client a message came down the pike. Before you know it I was up on the hill at the high meadow the outfitter normally camps at and he was easy to find.

It turns out the message was about an assistant coach that died during preseason practice and the coach we were tracking down was on a fishing trip. Except the outfitter hadn’t seen him. lol

The coach and wife are probably dead by now so it’s safe to tell the story. It would do the secretary some good to know she wasn’t sneaky enough. I’m sure their kids know dad was a player. Lol