Which 243. Ammo???

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Almost anything. Blade of grass. Twig. Clipped a piece of bone and tumbled. Any number of things.

The two longest tracking jobs of my life were made after “perfect” hits from a 250gr Nosler Partition fired from a .338 Win Mag at closer ranges. Found one of those critters a mile from where it was hit with both shoulders destroyed, both lungs destroyed and a hole through his heart.

What could have happened? Beats me, but it

Almost anything. Blade of grass. Twig. Clipped a piece of bone and tumbled. Any number of things.

The two longest tracking jobs of my life were made after “perfect” hits from a 250gr Nosler Partition fired from a .338 Win Mag at closer ranges. Found one of those critters a mile from where it was hit with both shoulders destroyed, both lungs destroyed and a hole through his heart.

What could have happened? Beats me, but it did.
whoever made that shot with a 338 win mag with a 250 grain bullet and it run a mile that deer must have ate some high speed chicken feed(drugs) to run a mile. i have never shot a deer with my 300 weatherby and had it run farther than 50 out of 4 deer. my dad shot i do not know how many with his 300 weatherby and i have only seen two run father than three steps. i am probaly gonna try some all copper barnes ttsx 80 grain shoot them right in the shoulder

Laramie

WKR
but when you shoot something in the hight shoulder or at least in my experince with 270win and 300 weatherby mag they are drt a 243 win in the high shoulder if it cant make it through a bone plate 1" thick maybe less then it should be a coyte or fox gun and not something you should shoot a deer with.i am not saying that to argue but that is my opinion and everybody has an opinion.
If you think a deer's shoulder is anywhere close to an inch thick or that it will stop a .243 bullet, please watch a few of the videos below. Have an open mind kid and spend some time researching.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I like the copper in my 243 for deer. In the event that bone is in play, that small fast bullet will just break on through. Now I’m going to go cue up The Doors.
what bullet do you shoot the 80 grain ttsx or the 85 grain tsx

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
If you think a deer's shoulder is anywhere close to an inch thick or that it will stop a .243 bullet, please watch a few of the videos below. Have an open mind kid and spend some time researching.

i know it shouldnt stop a bullet but the 2 deer i shot that should be dead was right in the high shoulder and they sure are not in my freezer or in my chili bowl.

Zimm21

FNG
Looking for a good bullet for my girls this year in 243. Not of them are pretty accurate shooters for their ages. They’ve both taken deer before with crossbows and this year I want to break them in with a 243. Most of their shots will be 50-100 yds. Mostly eyeing the sierra GK 100 grain, hornady interloks or the Barnes ttsx. For that distance what I’m yalls opinions would be a good bullet for expansion/penetration. Thanks
I’d recommend hornady

Laramie

WKR
i know it shouldnt stop a bullet but the 2 deer i shot that should be dead was right in the high shoulder and they sure are not in my freezer or in my chili bowl.
It can be hard to accept sometimes but failures are almost always on the hunter, not the rifle or bullets.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
It can be hard to accept sometimes but failures are almost always on the hunter, not the rifle or bullets.
3 drops of high lung blood no more track it 200 yards of right where it run and its my fault i hit a big doe in the lungs should have died. but i will take the blame even tho its my gun.

Laramie

WKR
3 drops of high lung blood no more track it 200 yards of right where it run and its my fault i hit a big doe in the lungs should have died. but i will take the blame even tho its my gun.
With experience will come wisdom... good luck to you

I’ve hunted with the .243 for a while and have never had a round NOT go through at least to the offside hide. I’ve used 95 grain BTs, partitions, fusions, and 100 grain soft points and I’ve put each one of those through a deer or hog shoulder at least once with no issue except for lots of meat loss.

Any big game bullet for .243 will blow through the near side shoulder and quickly kill a deer. Almost all of them will still have enough gas to break the offside shoulder too. If you really want an exit shoot a partition, fusion, or maybe an accubond. I’ve killed several deer and pigs with the 95 grain partition all were passthrough with a substantial wound channel

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how one can tell the difference between high lung blood and low lung blood. I’m guessing you just simply did not hit where you thought did. But on the other hand, who am I to get in the way of a good story?

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how one can tell the difference between high lung blood and low lung blood. I’m guessing you just simply did not hit where you thought did. But on the other hand, who am I to get in the way of a good story?
you canty people say you can but you cant but thats where it came from because thats where my bullet went.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
my gun shoots the 80 grain remington corelokt 4 shots 1inch at 100 yards vs the federal power shock 100 grain with a 1 3/4 inch group at 100

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a good bullet for my girls this year in 243. Not of them are pretty accurate shooters for their ages. They’ve both taken deer before with crossbows and this year I want to break them in with a 243. Most of their shots will be 50-100 yds. Mostly eyeing the sierra GK 100 grain, hornady interloks or the Barnes ttsx. For that distance what I’m yalls opinions would be a good bullet for expansion/penetration. Thanks
try the 80 grain core lokt they shoot a 4 shot 1 inch group in my gun and from everthing i have heard they kill really good