Which Leki's to get?

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into the Corklite anti-shock or the Micro Vario Carbon. I like that the micro Vario breaks down to be anout 10" shorter than the corklite for packability but which one feels better is the question? Anyone one with experience with both of these or either one? Also, it appears backcountry.com is selling just one corklite anti-shock for $159 where REI sells them as a pair for the same price. Maybe I'm just confused with how backcountry.com has them listed? Any pros and cons for either pole?

Thank you,

Drew

I upgraded my old super muklas to a set of varios. The super were bought in the late 90s and have the anti shock springs. Great poles. Literally thousands of miles on them. When I started hunting I realized how loud they were. Love the varios so far but don't have enough time in the field with them to really offer a review. I would just caution you to consider noise when buying. Spring based shock absorbers feel nice but a no could for sneaking around.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about noise being an issue with anti-shock trekking poles.

Weekender

WKR
I purchased vario ti after breaking my carbon poles this year. I'm a fan so far they break down small, adjust easy for hills and seem very sturdy. Doubt I'll go back to carbon a couple oz not worth a chance of breaking. It should say something when Leki gives carbon 1 year warranty and aluminum lifetime warranty.

tttoadman

WKR
I have always heard the anti shock is just a gimmick. don't waste money just to get heavier poles. Make sure and get the adjustable ones even if it is just the one at the top. It is nice to adjust the poles for uphill and downhill differently.

wyodan

WKR
Don't get twist lock ones. I broke a set of those, but Leki sent me a brand new set of ultralight ones on warranty. Excellent customer service.

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
I was set on getting carbon fiber poles until someone pointed out the difference in warranties. Says a lot about the robustness of aluminum vs carbon fiber.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Leki Corklite Trekking Poles (without shock) for the last 5 yrs. Absolutely no complaints, crazy how strong they are compared to the carbons that I had before. Always a but..... They are louder on the rocks compared to carbon.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses guys. I have some Vario TI's on the way.

Muttly

WKR
The Missus has a pair of Leki,s that mostly work great, anti-shock, cam lock top, twist lock bottom section. Never had a problem with the cam lock, the twist lock is problematic. Leki has replaced one twist lock section already, will probably end up replacing the poles with another pair of Leki,s, but will look for double cam lock. And anti shock.

Muttly

WKR
Little talking without thinking(posting, actually) on my part, just looked at the Leki site, realized it,s double cam-lock OR anti-shock, pick one.
Double cam lock it is..

16Bore

WKR
You might not care, but check the warranty on the carbon jobs. I broke the lower on an old aluminum set and had the replacement in about a week...