Which WM bag for me?

Adubs

FNG
I’m 6’0” and 185 lbs. I’m going on a mtn goat hunt with my brother in Montana this sept/oct (he drew a NR tag!) and we’ll be going on a sheep/caribou hunt in the NWT in 2020. I’m considering the badger, versatile and possibly the sequoia. Is the gore windstopper worth it? Thanks for any feedback.

Adubs

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
I have the badger with the GWS. Personally, I love it. I have spent a few nasty nights in it under a floor less shelter and with the high winds, heavy rain, and with condensation it was literally raining inside. That gws shell held up flawlessly. Some people say that it doesn’t breath well and I have about 60 days in the bag but have only had 2 consecutive days of really wet weather before the weather broke and the sun came out so I can’t speak for long term exposure to moisture. No negatives from my end though and this bag will see 20 more days this fall in AK and have complete confidence it will perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Versalite for me. You could get a versalite + Bivy for less weight than a GWS badger and definitely the sequoia in either shell.

Congrats on the goat tag! I had a buddy draw in MT as well and I'm nagging him for an invite to help.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
What are your thoughts on either the alpinlite (20*) or terralite (25*)?? I’m wondering if the 20/25 bag wouldn’t be sufficient knowing I may have to sleep in base layers or even a puffy on cold nights. Will be sleeping in a hilleberg nallo2gt...

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been a WM customer for years, but since we just became a dealer I've been researching the product line hard.

Extremelite is by far their best selling line. 12D shell with 1200 mm hydrostatic head. Microfiber is 20D / 2000 mm HH, Gore is 20D / 12,000 HH. The GWS won't breathe as well, so if you're above freezing a lot it could become an issue.

Here's what WM says about the differences in shell fabric:

Extremelite is suitable for all 2 season uses and ideal for weight conscious adventurers. The fabric is highly water resistant for the weight and can withstand most condensation summertime users encounter inside tents. Microfiber boasts high versatility due to its increased water resistance and breathability. Cow boy camping? Need something suitable for warm nights and wet nights? Microfiber is ideal. Gore Windstopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights.

We'll be carrying the Alpinlite and Terralite plus the Astralite quilt to start. The Alpinlite and Terralite are impressive, for different reasons.

I'm a fan of the alpinlite. A little more spacious than the versalite if you want to supplement with a puffy.

LandYacht

WKR
Huge fan of the Versalite. Have been running mine for 5 years and it’s always my go to bag. I have a Caribou that I’ll run if my kids are with me as they get the Versalite and I sleep in layers if needed.

Don’t sleep in layers. It’s 2 pounds of warmth easily down to 10 degrees. If it gets hot unzip the full length zipper and go quilt style with it draped over you. Don’t overthink a couple ounces of weight savings.

This is an easy choice, don’t make it hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ytlogger

FNG
WM bags are great, I have a Badger. It is a great bag but made for guys who are big around, or across I guess too. I am 5'11, 225, 49 chest. I would sometimes get cold in some of my bags then I realized that my shoulders were pressing the inside and outside of the bag together so, no insulation. If I was a bit slighter I might look at one of the other WM bags to save a little weight.

3forks

WKR
Huge fan of the Versalite. Have been running mine for 5 years and it’s always my go to bag. I have a Caribou that I’ll run if my kids are with me as they get the Versalite and I sleep in layers if needed.

Don’t sleep in layers. It’s 2 pounds of warmth easily down to 10 degrees. If it gets hot unzip the full length zipper and go quilt style with it draped over you. Don’t overthink a couple ounces of weight savings."

I agree with this... I've got a Versalite, and for me, it's the best option for 4 season use for its weight (I don't camp in winter often).

If anyone is worried about the fabric of the Extremlite series of bags being too much of a compromise between saving weight and durability/water/wind repellency - I don't think it is.

I use a floorless shelter and wondered about the Versalite being able to repel water/condensation. I'll make a long story short, but I tried spraying the bag with various amounts of water and it just beaded up. I finally just made a fist sized divot in the bag and poured a glass of water into the divot. Even after 30 minutes, the water did not penetrate the fabric.

Anyway, my point is I think you could easily buy way more bag than you need if you overthink it.

I've got an Antelope MF that I'm quite happy with. Might be a touch of overkill for your 2 planned hunts though. I don't personally have experience with the Gore bag - but can assure that the MF is very water resistant and can't imagine you'd want/need the Gore since you are planning on sleeping in a quality tent. I think how much you like or dislike the Gore to some extent also depends in the individual as well as conditions. I tend to get "clammy" pretty easily - whether in my bed at home or bag in the field, so I like stuff as breathable as possible.

C Bow

WKR
I bought 2 WM Badger Gore series a 6ft and a 6ft 6in. I use the 6ft I am 5ft 11 and it is perfect and has room to move which makes for a good night sleep. You will be happy with a WM bag

jolemons

WKR
I run a quilt when i can, but have a badger for late season when it's below freezing. Im 511 175 and i think it's perfect. I always felt restricted in a mummy but not in this one. I was afraid it'd be too roomy since I'm a moderate build, but it's just right.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m now following this thread as I’ve gotta get a bag for MT as well this year for rifle elk season in Oct. I’ve been looking at the WM Sequoia MF hard and have also been eyeing the Kifaru Slick Bag as well. I guess I’m hung up on synthetic vs down and leaning towards down because we’re gonna be staying in a large tent with floor and cot. I know I won’t like a mummy bag because I move around a good deal while I’m sleeping. That’s why the WM Sequoia MF interests me because it’s a hybrid bag. I’m 6’0” 230 pounds currently (losing weight fast) but I’m gonna go with a wider bag for sure.