From new to trad to ready to go

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey guys!

I'm hoping someone can give me a short checklist of things to do to be ready to go with my new recurve. I've switched over from compound and need to know the sequence of events I need to go through to get my bow set up. I know I need to bare shaft, probably blank bale shoot, sight in, tune to shooting off the riser (I've got a RK1 so I can tune with a sideplate), etc.

Thanks!

Look up videos of people explaining the NTS system. This form of target archery shooting isn't what you will be doing in the woods (anchor probably too low and some other things), but the overall concept of a shot sequence and using the big muscles to do the work will help you get a good start. If you can, find an NTS coach that has some animals on the ground, or at least knows what hunters need. Listen to all of The Push episodes with Tom Clum Sr, and the coaching moments series. One huge key to form is to know what real back tension feels like.

Bareshaft tuning is probably a bit down the road. It's not going to be a fun experience if you don't have a consistent shot. It's good that you can tune with an adjustable sideplate because you can tune your bow to the arrow as your form gets better.

Don't listen to people that tell you there is absolutely only one way to do things. You may find that you are a great intsinctive shooter, or like most you will probably aim using the tip of the arrow. There are plenty of YouTube videos detailing gap shooting that will help you accelerate the learning curve.

Tldr:
- Form: lookup NTS and apply the broad principles. Possibly find a coach
- Repitition: focus on what it feels like when you shoot a good shot.
- Experiment with aiming methods
- Tune

http://www.michiganlongbow.org/calendar/2014/6/20/compton-traditional-bowhunters-rendezvous

If you missed it this year maybe some info from the site will help you out. If you can get to some shoots and meet some people it might help. I would watch some folks on the practice butts and if you see someone with similar equipment who shoots with what looks like good form and consistent groups go talk to them, if they seem knowledgeable, ask them for some help, 99.9 % of the time if you tell them you are a new shooter they will do what they can to help you out.

If you're just getting started, like brand new...personally I wouldn't try to tune yet. I'd go to the 3 Rivers site and use their spine calculator and get some arrows that are close. Then shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Up close. When you get consistent and have consistent form then you can start tuning. If you're form isn't good and you aren't shooting relatively consistent already tuning will drive you crazy. It'd be awesome if you could find somebody that's been shooting trad for a while to kind of help you along.