Backup Gear to Carry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first archery hunt this fall and have been starting to think about my packing for day hunting.
I carry certain gear to fix and clean my rifle when rifle hunting and I am wondering what is the corresponding gear list for archery?
Extra string, arrows, broadheads????? What should I have in the pack?
Huntng with a recurve.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think it depends on your level of skill in repairing a bow. I'm clueless on bow strings, serving, etc. so I just bring an entire back-up bow that I keep in the truck in case something awful happens to my weapon. I do carry the following stuff though:

Allen wrenches - take the ones you need for your specific bow, not an entire set.
Broadhead replacement blades - I'm taking Wac 'em fixed blades this year so taking a small package of replacement blades
Field Points - for sighting in
Small Game Points - for grouse and other small woodland creatures
Extra nocks
12 of my best fletched arrows, numbered 1-12: number 1-6 go in my quiver, the other six stay in the truck.

That's it for my field kit for archery.

LostArra

WKR
Extra string that has been shot in with my tie-on nock set in place. Have your correct brace height marked on at least one arrow. I make my own Flemish strings and would suggest learning. It’s easy after seeing it done.

I carry three broadhead arrows in quiver with another three at camp. Two fieldpoint/judo arrows at camp.

I usually don’t take a backup bow depending on space and camp situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Extra string, stringer and maybe extra broadheads, but a lot of that is based on how far from the truck you are! Treestand hunting within a mile of the truck I don't worry much, backpack hunt I carry the stuff I mentioned. If you have a three piece takedown, an Allen wrench is nice to have or buy the knurled knob limb bolt screws, Black Widow sells nice brass ones. I use a six arrow quiver and don't bother bring extra arrows into the field but always have some in the truck!

LostArra

WKR
Extra string, stringer and maybe extra broadheads, but a lot of that is based on how far from the truck you are! Treestand hunting within a mile of the truck I don't worry much, backpack hunt I carry the stuff I mentioned. If you have a three piece takedown, an Allen wrench is nice to have or buy the knurled knob limb bolt screws, Black Widow sells nice brass ones. I use a six arrow quiver and don't bother bring extra arrows into the field but always have some in the truck!

+1 on the recurve stringer. I also hunt a highly reflexed longbow that I can get by without a stringer.

I carry two strings broke in small amount or nock serving thread a spare tad or glove bees wax I don't carry field point I have 6 arrows with judos points same weight as my broadheads and 3 arrow with broadhead in my bow quiver and 6 arrow with broadhead in my side quiver. I stump shoot all day and small game hunt as well. my set up still lighter than any compound bow.

oldgoat

WKR
I carry two strings broke in small amount or nock serving thread a spare tad or glove bees wax I don't carry field point I have 6 arrows with judos points same weight as my broadheads and 3 arrow with broadhead in my bow quiver and 6 arrow with broadhead in my side quiver. I stump shoot all day and small game hunt as well. my set up still lighter than any compound bow.

Yeah, I usually have a couple extra tabs on me, forgot about those!

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help
had not thought about the need to have your brace height marked on a arrow, the extra glove

While hunting I carry 4 arrows with broadheads and one arrow w/a judo point, an extra string that is broken in, a stringer an extra rest ( I shoot a Bear weather rest) and a small file in case I need to touch up a head. At camp are extra arrows, broadheads, judo's, extra tab. I will also have a spare set of limbs in the truck ( ILF) just in case.

Spare string and glove. And lots of arrows. I'll probably have a backup bow in the truck just because I'll have one this year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll take a spare rest. When I used to use a flipper and plunger combo on my hunting bow I brought spares of both along with an alcohol wipe if I had to stick another flipper rest back on. Been using the NAP Centerest for awhile now and just carry a replacement head.

I also throw an extra broken-in tab and some nock serving material in my pack. Been meaning to add a spare string, stringer, and broadhead blades.

If I were backpacking far in or for 5+ days I’d think about bringing an extra set of limbs (but in the end would probably just leave em in the truck).

I’d hate to jam extra arrows into my backpack too so I’m always looking for 7-8 arrow bow quivers. Right now I figure if I miss or break with the 4 arrows in my quiver I deserve a walk back to the truck.

ScottinPA

WKR
String, stringer, tab, a few nocks, and spare blunt head is all I carry in my pack.3 broadhead arrows and 1 judo arrow in quiver. Will have a few extra arrows and broadheads at camp/truck.

I’ve hunted with a recurve for several years and never carried anything extra. I went to a recurve so I could be lighter, adding extra gear would defeat my purpose so I left everything at the truck.

The probability of needing something is too minimal for me to worry about it.

oldgoat

WKR
Well Justin I used to think that too, then I had the opportunity to be an unarmed elk caller for my wife for most of the day when a loose nock on my stumping arrow cut most of my string and my ungrateful wife wouldn't let me have the string off her recurve of the same length! Luckily it was just a day trip and we got into rmsgear for two strings. Make my own now so I always have an extra!

Ddog

WKR
Leave a glove, string and stringer in the truck with a bow square all year for hunting/stumping or 3D. Also a few arrows. I don't carry anything kit-wise on a hunt besides a way to touch up broadheads.