Decisions decisions.....

Beendare

WKR
I just got back into shooting after elbow surgery so my shooting is a bit shaky with 50# plus. [whimpy I know] I wish I had more than just the last few weeks to prepare...[after not shooting a stick for a couple years]

I can get off a couple good arrows....but the difference between my form at 45 and 50 is marked. Plus for an upcoming elk hunt I may want the option to hold for a little bit....surprising how 5# makes that much difference. It makes a difference on arrow flight too....the extra 5# really zings them in there....I really like the power of a 50#/600gr vs a 45#/480gr. I know in a few months I will be back up to 55-60#....but I need a setup now.

Shooting wise, I'm not what I was a few years ago of course...so no matter what I will have to keep my shot distances close.

I may give it one more week to decide but I need to tune and make up some arrows....just thinking out loud here....

Or I might just setup both....what do you think?

oldgoat

WKR
I just jacked up my middle finger couple weeks ago, I can still shoot all my bows from light to heavy but it's sure easier to hold the lighter one back for an extended period, probably still shoot the heavier one since the actual amount of shooting done during season don't doubt to much, I should be ok, but what I'm beating around the bush about is set up both!

LostArra

WKR
I just got back into shooting after elbow surgery so my shooting is a bit shaky with 50# plus. [whimpy I know] I wish I had more than just the last few weeks to prepare...[after not shooting a stick for a couple years]

I can get off a couple good arrows....but the difference between my form at 45 and 50 is marked. Plus for an upcoming elk hunt I may want the option to hold for a little bit....surprising how 5# makes that much difference. It makes a difference on arrow flight too....the extra 5# really zings them in there....I really like the power of a 50#/600gr vs a 45#/480gr. I know in a few months I will be back up to 55-60#....but I need a setup now.

Shooting wise, I'm not what I was a few years ago of course...so no matter what I will have to keep my shot distances close.

I may give it one more week to decide but I need to tune and make up some arrows....just thinking out loud here....

Or I might just setup both....what do you think?

You only need to get off ONE good arrow.;)

Do you have two different bows (45 and 50) or a single riser and two sets of limbs?

I had a similar situation but with a shoulder issue before an elk hunt and I HAD to shoot my 53# bow due to Wyo regs.

This is what I did:
If you have two bows, I would set them both up. Limit your 50 pound practice to 5-6 shots never more than 10 shots per session with a lot of rest between shots. I wouldn't touch the 50 until after you have shot the 45 a dozen times, also with a lot of rest between shots. Almost everyone practices too much, too fast with too little rest between shots. Always quit before your elbow gets tired. This isn't endurance archery or the battle of Agincourt. If your happy with those 5-6 shots I would take the 50. Your shooting muscles and elbow will be fully rested when the shot opportunity arises on that bull and you have confidence in the 50#/600gr set up.

Nothin wrong with 50 for elk and Wimpy is my middle name!
I'm sure 45 from a high performance bow will work too but you might subconsciously limit your shot selection unnecessarily and you wouldn't with the 50..

Good luck!

Tradchef

WKR
I’d go with your 45# and 480 grain arrow. I’d rather have accuracy and a solid shot than to be second guessing when it comes down to it. If you keep em close that combo will do a fine job. Plus it’ll give you time to heal and work on shooting again.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
^ some good stuff guys, thx...and I know its a personal thing...stupid question really.

I started to think about it and I will end up shooting both bows at some point anyways...the lighter bow for targets most likely so it doesn't hurt me to make up arrows for both bows....even bringing both bows...and of course shooting the one that I feel good about at the time. FWIW, I have 3 ILF risers....and 4 different sets of limbs. I primarily use the 2 wood; Morrison and Dryad....though my Metal Tradtech riser is probably a better shooter due to the added mass.

I will probably even bring my compound...what the heck, why not?

id keep practicing with the 50 right up until the next few weeks and see what transpires and go from there. you'll gain your strength back pretty quick

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I was worried about nothing. Shooting 50# is coming around. I tuned some arrows so FWIW; Dryad 19" wood riser with WW Inno longs at 30" DL, 50#, a 31" Beman MFX with 50 gr insert and 145gr FP tunes perfect.