New guy

DEW0341

WKR
Decided I’m gonna guy a Samick journey, first traditional type bow, it’s a take down and would be perfect for me to take on my upcoming deployment for 6 months not needing a big range to shoot at, cheap to get into, transportable and something to learn on, already have a half dozen 300 spine BE Spartans uncut shafts I can use for it. Few questions

1- what poundage? I shoot a #70 compound now with a 30.5” dl
2-best resource for learning the set up of a recurve? Shoot off shelf, set up nock sets etc....
3-I see a mix of 3 finger below arrow and 1 above 2 below shooting? Which is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hi and welcome to trad archery!! First don't get 70 lbs with a longbow and expect to enjoy it. Its a totally different cup of tea than a compound. 1. I would personally suggest a 45 lb bow with your draw will put you close to 50 which is plenty. 2. I used trial and error, I'm sure others have better ideas. 3. I have shot both and now shoot 3 under. really not a ton of difference just mainly personal preference. 3 under will put your line of sight closer to the arrow which I have found makes it easier to shoot with(I shoot instinctive but having tried GAP in the past about jacked me up) so yeah and if you have any more questions I can do my best to help you. I have shot a stick bow since I was 2 and so I've had some experience haha.

Congratulations. Welcome to your new addiction lol.

Bow setup:
The loop part of hook and loop Velcro is sold with a sticky back. You can use that as a cheap arrow rest material for shooting off the shelf.
Samicks don’t radius the shelf so you will need to put a tooth pic or something under the Velcro on both the sightwindow and the shelf. This will make a single contact point for the arrow to launch from. It will aid in tuning your bow.

BUY A STRINGER! Don’t risk ruining your new bow for the sake of saving a few bucks and trying to hand string the bow. There are ways to string the bow by hand that are not bad for it, but all carry risk of damaging bow or yourself!

With that out of the way now you can tune the bow. Your 300 spine arrows are unfortunately going to be too stiff unless you get a super heavy bow such as 70#. You certainly can, but I think you will discover it is WAAAY harder than your compound to pull. Like mad dog I recommend you go with a 45# bow.
Which means to properly tune your bow you will most likely need 500 spine arrows.

Steps for tuning:
First read the owners manual for your bow to see if they recommend a brace height. If they do start there. If not then I would start at 8” and go down from there as needed after doing the rest of the steps.
Second, set the knocking point (either brass crimp or tied with string) at around 1/2” above the shelf plane. This is very much so variable from shooter to shooter and bow to bow so this should be the first thing you play with to get better arrow flight.
If your still not satisfied with the flight of the arrow after this then you can adjust the size of the strike plate; however it is more likely to be something to do with your form.
I highly recommend you Peruse this sights many form and technique threads to get a general idea of how to start. Form and consistently doing the same thing every time is the most important part of learning traditional archery.

Good luck! And thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk