Schafer Silvertips

Hey guys, I'm not new to the site, but I am new to posting in the trad section... I've been shooting recurves and longbows on and off for 10 years or more... I've swapped back and forth between trad and compound a few times depending on my schedule, etc... I'm leaning heavily towards taking my recurve for elk this year... Still thinking on it. It's nothing quite like having a stickbow in the mountains...

Enough with the introductions... I thought I would share my passion with you guys, which is collecting Schafer Silvertips built by Paul Schafer... If you don't know who Paul Schafer was, you should really look him up. He was an amazing bowhunter that left this world way too early. Although all these bows are 25+ years old, they still shoot amazing! Any other Schafer fans out there?

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 185
Great collection! By far the best recurve I have ever shot...wish I could afford one. Hope you have a great season with one of them.

PredatorX

WKR
Oh yes. Paul Schafer made silvertips. I have have had 2 total. Still have one of his early ones. It's hard to find a lower poundage original. What a man he was. I'm really a longbow shooter but man I love shafers. I believe Paul Schafer was one of the greatest bow hunters known to man.

Any of these have the camo limbs? I've always loved the camo limbs.

Bart Schleyer is another guy that really moved me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thanks guys, I really enjoy shooting them. 3 of them are pretty heavy at 65lbs+. I did get lucky and get one that is 53@28 that I shoot the most. It seems most of the one's that come up for sale are 70+ lbs.. Seems like I ready somewhere that Paul made the sub 70lb bows for women and children! He was a beast!

PredatorX, 2 of them have the retro camo limbs.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
Nice collection of classic Silvertips you have there. Is the one-piece the oldest?

OP
D
Nice collection of classic Silvertips you have there. Is the one-piece the oldest?

I haven't spent much time trying to date the other bows, but I did have the one piece dated to 1983-84. I suspect it is the oldest.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You gotta be stout to shoot an original Schafer lol. I almost bought one of the originals, I could shoot it lights out...for about 10 shots, then my shoulders cried uncle. It was almost 70lbs at my draw. Great bows, great man.

Paul Schafer is a legend! The stories I've read of him are awesome, I named my son Schafer after Paul! I own 1 Schafer with 3 sets of limbs and love it! I killed my biggest buck ever with it this past season at 37 yards! My Schafer is one bow I'll hopefully never sell, the Silvertip is the best bow I've owned and I'll be hoping to add another one sometime soon!

PredatorX

WKR
Did you ever end up bringing the schafer for elk? Is that top one a 62"?

PredatorX

WKR
Please do brother. I can't even put into words how inspired by the man I became. He changed everything I thought I knew about bowhunting...and probably more.

GLB

WKR
Bows from a legend! Nice collection you have. Those Schafers would look awesome next to your elk. Go for it!

PredatorX

WKR
I am always on the lookout for originals. I never see 64"ers! I have a 60" about the same weight. The originals sure are magical.

Oly

FNG
I am always on the lookout for originals. I never see 64"ers! I have a 60" about the same weight. The originals sure are magical.

PredatorX - Paul's 64" takedowns use his 19" riser with "long limbs". He also had a 62" which utilized the same 19" riser with "regular short limbs".