Beating Target Panic-New Method?

If you are having trouble with target panic try this. Refrain from shooting at full draw for about a week. Only shoot with the bow drawn short starting at about an inch and gradually increasing to 3/4 draw over around a 5 day period. Every 20 shots allow yourself to come to full draw, aim, and relax but in no circumstance allow yourself to release the arrow.

Eventually increase you short draw shots to where you are lightly touching your face, and over time allow yourself to release at full draw. If any anxiety of punch shot is felt refrain from shooting at full draw until you can do so totally relaxed and free of anxiety.

I think the reason this works is it seperates the 2 events that trigger the panic...being at full draw and consciously shooting.

Remember, do all the shooting at less than full draw and only practice aiming and relaxing at full draw. You will be surprised at how well you can shoot at half or 3/4 draw when free of target panic.

• Banned
OP
T
Judging by the responses at the very least this is obviously a new method and could help those who have tried everything else. Even non tp problems such as habitually punching could be reduced or eliminated by this new method. Besides, half and 3/4 draw should be part of our practice regiment in he event we need to "lob" one over a rock or blowdown to get to the vitals.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
An interesting idea. I've been shooting trad all of my life (and I'm old) and still get bouts of TP. I can usually work through it in a week or so but if you have issues, I wouldn't hesitate to give this idea a go.

Beendare

WKR
Me either. I've never seen a traditional shooter hold long enough to even have TP begin to show up.

And THATS the reason why many of the stickbow guys you see can't hit squat.

Not only do they not get to anchor consistently....but they don't stay there long enough to aim. If you watch the good shooters...they all pause at full draw while they aim.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you watch the good shooters...they all pause at full draw while they aim.

........and then get target panic????

I shot 3D with a traditional shooter last year that released as quick as one possibly could.......like a second and a half from rest to draw to release and he was hammering those targets. We even had one target across a draw, set up in the shadows, with limbs in our aiming view at ~47 yards. I dared him to shoot from our stakes on that one and he did........and shot the deer right in the shoulder.......still very impressive.

Beendare

WKR
........and then get target panic????

I shot 3D with a traditional shooter last year that released as quick as one possibly could.......like a second and a half from rest to draw to release and he was hammering those targets. We even had one target across a draw, set up in the shadows, with limbs in our aiming view at ~47 yards. I dared him to shoot from our stakes on that one and he did........and shot the deer right in the shoulder.......still very impressive.
No ...a lot of guys have target panic at full draw while aiming...so they snap shoot instead.

I've seen a few snap shooters that do Ok....many have been shooting that way for many years....even decades.

Go to a trad shoot and watch the guys snap shooting vs the guys aiming.....it will become obvious within a few targets which shooters are more accurate and consistent. I've had the pleasure of shooting with the best Trad archers in the US as many live here in the bay area or closeby. They all aim....an emphasize perfect form.

tater

WKR
There is a big difference between a fast and fluid shot sequence and snap shooting. A lot of trad guys have impeccably repeatable form and shot sequences and release upon full consistent anchor, but in a system that has little to no pause in the process (Hill/Wesley etc.).
A good trad shooter can either speed up or slow down the process but still maintain the form and shot execution with control of every part of the sequence.

Snap shooting is the guys that short draw, do not have consistent anchors or shot sequences, "drive by" the target or "freeze and tug".

OP
T
Still struggling to find consistency here, whether I hold or shoot quick. I do have more accuracy when I hold if a clean release follows. That is the hard part. I seem to have less of a problem with release when I short draw and was really hoping with enough short drawing the clean release would come into play when coming to full draw and solid anchor. Not to totally pump the brakes on my own thread but maybe one pump is due.

The issue at hand has nothing to do with type of equipment. It is about being able to execute a clean shot (albeit rifle, pistol, or bow and arrow) while your mind is frantically trying to worry about where the projectile will hit, if it will hit, does my butt look fat in these pants?

That's why blind shooting only solves part of the issue. It teaches a proper shot sequence, but it doesn't teach you to separate your mind from everything else, to allow it to focus on a clean shot sequence and nothing else.

tater

WKR
Still struggling to find consistency here, whether I hold or shoot quick. I do have more accuracy when I hold if a clean release follows. That is the hard part. I seem to have less of a problem with release when I short draw and was really hoping with enough short drawing the clean release would come into play when coming to full draw and solid anchor. Not to totally pump the brakes on my own thread but maybe one pump is due.

If you are short drawing, and not coming into proper alignment with full back tension a good release and consistent form are almost impossible. Your draw arm needs to be in a parallel plane to the arrow (and as parallel as possible to bow arm based on physiology). It sounds more like mechanics of the release. i would encourage you to determine true draw length and then set a clicker to it.

OP
T
Tater I will take your advise on the clicker but it will probably be next summer. I am fixing to start hunting wt in a week. Going to try and video all my hunts.

The short draw experiment is just to try and get a feel of a clean release. When I do come to full draw I might be overdrawing a little. I seem to get a better release when I anchor more forward just in the corner of my mouth. I just want to clean up my recurve shooting where I can use it out west. They are built for ground hunting imo.

PJG

WKR
Take a look at the position of your draw elbow when at full draw. It should either be in line with the string or slightly inside the string, this is also called being inside the bow. This can help give you a visual indicator if your draw is correct. If its way outside the bow, then you are underdrawing, this is the worst position to be in, you cannot get proper back tension being outside the bow.

Beendare

WKR
There is a big difference between a fast and fluid shot sequence and snap shooting. A lot of trad guys have impeccably repeatable form and shot sequences and release upon full consistent anchor, but in a system that has little to no pause in the process (Hill/Wesley etc.).
A good trad shooter can either speed up or slow down the process but still maintain the form and shot execution with control of every part of the sequence.

Snap shooting is the guys that short draw, do not have consistent anchors or shot sequences, "drive by" the target or "freeze and tug".

Well said. A guy doesn't have to hold forever....so that pause can be short.

TP is the mental discoonect during the shot. It can take many forms;

not being able to get on the spot....i've got friends that literally couldn't lift their bow to get on the spot

Having other parts of your body react to the shot- like gripping, flinching. A good example is the compound shooter that punch their release. This can work [been there done that!] but it creates bad habits with your bow hand or other parts of your body anticipating the shot.

A lot of trad guys I see at the shoots either don't get a full sight picture by not getting to full draw, snap shooting or "plucking" [again- guilty here!]

My take....if you get your back tension right...you really don't even have to think about releasing the arrow. When you can feel your shoulder blades locked...and then pressing...you got it.