Four vs Three

I've been shooting 5" three since I started shooting a stick. Also have I've been using and indexing nock to feel where to put my cock... Y'all are perverts!

But I'm going to a lighted nock and I haven't found any with an indexing tab. And I just want to tinker.

Kinda thinking about going to a four fletch so it doesn't matter how the arrow sits on the string.

Joel Turner mentioned with super high FOC you can go to a shorter feather and run four's.

Then do you still helical/off set or go straight?

How's the noise between three and four?

Thanks

Beendare

WKR
You don't need super high FOC to shoot a smaller vane....it just has to be tuned. I've used as small as 3-3" feathers with a BH and had great arrow flight.

i settled on 3-4" feathers...just to err on the side of a poor release [which I have been known to do- grin]

oldgoat

WKR
Noise is more of a factor of fletch shape, parabolic being quieter than shield and banana being quieter than either. Four fletch is fine and you can go shorter. Depending how smooth your release is drives how short you can . I stick with three 5" though, never had a problem so far getting nocked up correctly using peripheral vision.

ElkNut1

WKR
3 - 5" feathers here as well & I too have tried multiple combinations with no real world differece. I like keeping it simple. Haven't had elk or deer jump from noise yet! (grin) Maybe my bow isn't fast enough! Don't over think it, shoot what's accurate & you have the most confidence in.

ElkNut1

I like to run 4x4" feathers. I'm a lazy stick bow shooter and don't like to have to put my cock feather on right. I can't tell a difference between three or four feathers, 4" or 5" feathers. I don't bare shaft tune either. I try not to complicate archery, which is why I switched from a compound to a recurve and don't do LR rifle shooting. It's too much work for me and I have a short attention span.

I shoot 3 5" parabolics and can shoot cock feather in or out, doesn't matter. Have you tried it with the cock feather in ? Depending on your set up you might have plenty of clearance. I shoot off the shelf with a split hair rest.

I've been shooting nano diameter carbons for a few years... full 31" length, 34ish grain insert, 200gr point. 4x 2" Rayzr feathers helical.

Tuned up perfect. I love the setup. Shoot like darts. Much much quieter than 3" 4" or 5" feathers I've tried.

PJG

WKR
Best way to tinker, make your own. I use 3.5" long feathers, that way I can always get two out of a full length.
0111527be012417b66ae515a56a7ce4d.jpg

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried 3", 4" and 5". If they are tuned it did not matter much with broadheads, I did find a large snuffer did not fly good with a 3" feather.

but all other heads did great vpa and stingers

I shot 4" parabolic

mjsekerak

FNG
If your shafts are properly tuned you can get away with minimal fletching. I was shooting 3x3 with Simmons bh's last year and had good results. Using 3 4 inch this year because I had some laying around, not much different. If I was hunting open country with a lot of wind I would definitely be going for less drag, probably 4x2 inch. I'm also using the small diameter shafts.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Either configuration will work, but you don't need high FOC and you don't need to go to 4 fletch to run smaller fletching. It's all in the tuning process.

OP
TradLife406
I've been shooting nano diameter carbons for a few years... full 31" length, 34ish grain insert, 200gr point. 4x 2" Rayzr feathers helical.

Tuned up perfect. I love the setup. Shoot like darts. Much much quieter than 3" 4" or 5" feathers I've tried.
Oh those look sweet! What broadheads you shooting? I bought 200 gr Cutthroats last year and love em!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I like to run 4x4" feathers. I'm a lazy stick bow shooter and don't like to have to put my cock feather on right. I can't tell a difference between three or four feathers, 4" or 5" feathers. I don't bare shaft tune either. I try not to complicate archery, which is why I switched from a compound to a recurve and don't do LR rifle shooting. It's too much work for me and I have a short attention span.

I completely agree. 4X4 works fine for me.