Point On & String Walking

Beendare

WKR
My hunting setup; right at 50# with a 31" 560gr arrow has a 34 yd PO. My 25 yd fixed crawl is about 3/4" low of that.

A 50 yd PO makes it tough to have good accuracy on those 20,25,30 yd shots.
beentheredonethat

FWIW, I resisted when my mentor told me a high anchor is crucial to good accuracy....but once I did, my shooting improved drastically. Getting your arrow up lose to your eye is key....no matter what aiming system you use as its less mental calculation.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Thanks. I am working on a few things. Namely my draw length. I'm eager to try a clicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Why so hurried to complicate what is supposed to be a simple process? Buy a slingshot and shoot it. Is it hard to hit stuff with it? If it is then you probably aren't cut out for Traditional Archery. Just saying. ... I'm sure I'll get flamed but I'm a firm believer in KISS.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
How do you aim a slingshot? Same way you aim a recurve/longbow.

Maybe it's just me. If I complicate my shooting it gets worse. Look at a very distinct and small spot and watch the arrow hit it (usually near enough. )
I use sights on rifles and handguns but never needed them for more primative weapons.

Sights on a RPG. No sights on a grenade. Savvy?

I don't gap or shoot a crawl but a good friend who has been a gap shooter for years just went to a fixed crawl, he toyed with it, arrow length, until he got it dialed in at 20, down to 14 is the bottom of the chest and 25-27 is the top of the back for him. If I was a gap shooter I would have a fixed crawl as I primarly hunt whitetails in thick cover. The clicker is a good idea if you are making a change to keep it consistant. Good luck with it !

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Clickers can be very useful for traditional shooters, whether it's for training purposes or for full-time use. One thing I'll pass on from Olympic shooters I've talked to is to concentrate on the feel of the click vs the sound of the click if you're going to use it full-time.

Typically I'll have a 65 yard PO shooting split fingers and 40 yard PO shooting 3-under. Haven't tried shooting fixed crawl or string walking yet since I prefer gap shooting. That's probably because my TP is worst when my arrow tip is near or on the spot.

Beendare

WKR
Clicker is a good idea when you don't have a consistent anchor. 1/2" DL does make a difference in arrow speed and arrow reaction out of the bow.

Not sure what they call the way I shoot. I come to full draw setting a gap [mostly with peripheral vision], then concentrate on the spot and shoot instinctively never again looking at the arrow.

I don't care if you are shooting instinctive or gap....when the gap and the end of your arrow is smaller, you will shoot more consistent and accurately...so a high anchor is where its at. If you are anchoring low and have a 2"-3" gap.....the conscious or unconscious calc involved gives you a larger margin of error.
My most accurate shooting is when my 'gap' is only 1/8" or so.

One thing that never seems to get mentioned on fixed crawls is they are a little noisier out of the bow.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Noise is a concern but I'll get to that, later. I have been too busy to shoot much but I just shot a group at 50, dicken around, and was like 12" outside arrows. 5-shot group, point on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot with a low anchor, C under the jawline and string on the tip of my nose are my two anchor points. I just went to a 51 # recurve after shooting a 45# longbow for the last 8 years. I also went from a 500 grain arrow to a 650 grain arrow so my trajectories have made some significant changes. I might have to mess around and see what my point on is but I have had trouble with my left and rights trying to gap in the past. With my old set up it was right about 50 yards. I have also experimented with three under and a higher anchor but the noise was too much for my tastes for a hunting bow. Several guys at the Baltimore Shoot where using the "Yost tabs" those look pretty nice for a three under crawl shooter.