What should an elk arrow weigh?

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
What would be a acceptable weight range for an elk arrow?

Thanks,
Boswell

Brendan

WKR
That depends on your draw weight. In general - 6 to 8 grains per pound of draw weight puts you in a good sweet spot (My opinion).

LostArra

WKR
That depends on your draw weight. In general - 6 to 8 grains per pound of draw weight puts you in a good sweet spot (My opinion).

Is this the traditional forum?

Mine are in the 9-11 gpi range. Seems to be a nice range for penetration, minimal bow noise and trajectory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Mine usually run 550 to 600. Just built some Victory VAPs that came out at 586 with 345 of that up front. Most people I know shoot 10GPP or higher, and lower the draw weight like in my wife's case, she's usually shooting roughly the same weight arrow as mine but a much higher gpp due to the lower draw weight she pulls. Going to build her a set of the VAP's too, they work great for getting the FOC up!

Brendan

WKR
Is this the traditional forum?

Mine are in the 9-11 gpi range. Seems to be a nice range for penetration, minimal bow noise and trajectory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not talking gpi, I'm talking grains per pound. 6 gpp at 70 lbs puts you at 420 grains, 8 gpp puts you at 560.

GPI will vary with spine and arrow.

And you're right - I didn't realize this was the trad forum. Just came up in my new posts feed... So take my advice as what I'd use for compounds...

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
9-9.5 is where my arrows always seem to fall. Haven't shot an elk with it but have shot whitetails and hogs. 475grn ar 52# = complete pass thru on 140# hog.

LostArra

WKR
I'm not talking gpi, I'm talking grains per pound. 6 gpp at 70 lbs puts you at 420 grains, 8 gpp puts you at 560.

GPI will vary with spine and arrow.

And you're right - I didn't realize this was the trad forum. Just came up in my new posts feed... So take my advice as what I'd use for compounds...

I figured you were talking compounds.

But I was referring to the same: grains per pound draw wt. (phone auto mis-corrected )

6gpp in a trad bow is either a specialized flight shooting bow or a warranty busting near dry-fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
55# 500 grain arrow, I have 200 grains up front in that arrow, have passed through several bulls. I like 9 grains per lb or there abouts for elk!

ElkNut/Paul

I shoot for 10 grains per pound for whitetails, I am shooting a new bow, 51 pounds, my current arrows are 650 grain arrows :confused:lol.. maybe I can get them to line up right and get a twofer !

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
I personally shoot at least a 600 gr arrow for everything. IMO I believe 9-10 GPP should be the minimum for a trad bow. My current elk set up is 57# @28 with a 665 gr arrow. 200 gr BH with 100 gr brass insert. Like I said, I believe 9-10 gr should be a minimum starting point. Anything beyond that is totally personal preference. Just my opinion.

I personally shoot at least a 600 gr arrow for everything. IMO I believe 9-10 GPP should be the minimum for a trad bow. My current elk set up is 57# @28 with a 665 gr arrow. 200 gr BH with 100 gr brass insert. Like I said, I believe 9-10 gr should be a minimum starting point. Anything beyond that is totally personal preference. Just my opinion.

Do you practice with your broadheads, have 200 gr practice tips, make up the difference somehow, or practice with different weight arrows than you hunt with. I've always been curious about this when it comes to heavy broadheads.

oldgoat

WKR
Do you practice with your broadheads, have 200 gr practice tips, make up the difference somehow, or practice with different weight arrows than you hunt with. I've always been curious about this when it comes to heavy broadheads.

They make field tips all the way up to 300gr

I went from shooting 45 # with a 500 Grain arrow out of a long bow to a recurve 51 # 650 grain, the trajectory learning curve took me a minute but they are hammers. I shoot them pretty good out to about 35 yards right now. I am shooting 175 grn FP with a 75 grain brass insert but I might give a 200 grain broadhead a try and see how they fly.

I know. I've never used those either. I assume if you're using wood arrows you'd have to practice with broadheads. With carbon you could add insert weight to make up the difference, but it seems like practicing with 125 gr then putting on 300 gr to go hunting would be a bad idea.

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider

I have 200 gr field points. Curiously enough though, my 200 gr right wing single bevel broadheads (Cutthroats) actually fly better than my field points. They work together with my right wing feathers and put my arrow into its spin faster than the field points. It's noticeable enough you can see it with the naked eye.

Disregard my first comment. I read your response wrong. Field tips to 300 gr makes total sense. I didn't know these were available. I didn't get into FOC until I got into carbons a few years ago.

Wojo14

WKR
I like to start with a 10 gpp weight. Then see how it goes from there based on the bow.
I Like a good balance of speed and weigh. With good FOC.
I typically shoot around 50 pounds and a 530g arrow with 250 up front.
I have not killed and elk(or even gone elk hunting yet) but I have passed through 2 white tail and 1 black bear with this set up.
I feel confident using it on elk. However, I might try and get some more weight. Closer to 600g for elk. Just keep my shots within 20yards.
Just my 2 cents.
~Wojo