Home range backstops

I have three straw bales stacked up on the back wall of my garage with some cardboard behind the bales.

But even at 40-50 yards I'm blasting through the bales. Is there a better option that won't break the bank?

I have a bag, and that's great for the road but I like having a larger surface for shooting further and blank baling. I'd love to just buy a big range size block panel or one of those spider web targets! But it'll have to wait till we get our new place.

Is there a better way to beef up the bales or is there a better option?

Thanks

I've never tried them, but I hear horse stall mats are a good option for a back stop.

Works great I have one suspended in my basement about 8 inches from the wall and a bag target in front of that, they are heavy !

I sandwiched the short end between 2 2x4's and hung it on chains from eye hooks, I have another one outside

LostArra

WKR
Works great I have one suspended in my basement about 8 inches from the wall and a bag target in front of that, they are heavy !

I sandwiched the short end between 2 2x4's and hung it on chains from eye hooks, I have another one outside

I've done the same. Only downside besides weight is it can be tough pulling arrows from a horse stall mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Are you using straw bales? They won't stop arrows from kid bows! I used to shoot alfalfa bales with my old school compound even when shooting broadheads and they would stop the arrows, much denser than straw, weigh a hell of a lot more too, but I wouldn't keep either of them in my garage, just asking for a rodent problem!!! Blob Targets, it's a brand, are supposed to be cheapest way to get big Targets, but I've never researched them, just seen people talking about them on archery threads. Morrel has the big range bags that are close to 4' square.

OHtard

FNG
i use straw bales. I guess the ones i get are packed tighter, only time i go through is when i find the gap between bales. I am shooting a 525 grain arrow going 185fps.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
When I was using bales, I would add some 2" thick foam sheeting - my neighbor got 8'x4' sheets that things got shipped in on from his job at a container hauling company for me - in front of and behind the bales, and as long as I hadn't shot out an area it would keep the arrows from passing all the way through. If you're stacking everything up against a wall, you can always add more foam sheets until it's thick enough to keep the arrow from hitting the wall.

The compressed straw bales from tractor supply work great. I wrap mine with that heavy siran wrap from a lumber yard. Regular bales work if you shoot into the right side and they are wrapped in wire.

SWVA_Tim

WKR
I made a backstop with the core of it being clothes and stuff that the local thrift store didn't want....the clothes are stuffed in a wood frame with chicken wire on the front and back. These targets will stop about anything and two big + is the arrows are easy to pull out usually and they are cheap to build.....I'll try to post up a pick of mine this evening.