Carbons shooting right

So I've been fighting torquing my D bow for years. Finally the doctor told me I have carpal tunnel explains the lack of grip strength.

So until Saturday afternoon my arrows would go left a lot (right handed shooter). Saturday my bowyer slipped some leather under my grip to make a kind of locator grip and we found I shoot better if I heel/palm the bow.

Shooting his woods I can keep them perfectly in line vertically now! Success! But when I go and try and run my carbons which I tuned and were flying good, they go right and a few centered.

Could these be a little weak now that I'm shooting correctly now and not flinging arrows left? I have 250 up front. 200 up front and a 50 gr insert. I tried a factory insert last night on a half dozen with similar results. Should I try taking a half an inch off and try and stiffen these up?

I'd just shoot woods, but cedars are so dang fragile when you miss a lot!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Could you just keep reducing point weight to see the effects before cutting anything?
I would want to be darn sure they are weak before doing something that is irreversible. You have a lot of variables in a short time...new grip, two different arrow shafts plus a medical condition that affects your grip. It would take a couple of consistent shooting sessions of showing weak before I would cut anything. Of course, I'm the weirdo who likes ALL my arrows for all my trad bows to be the same length so I get close with spine and then change point/insert weight. (I don't shoot full length. I just like 30" shafts)

Fjtoyman

FNG
When you say they are going to the right, are you talking impacting to the right or the tail is flying to the right?
If your impacting right, I would reduce the weight some. Try a 175 or 145 grain point. This will tell you if cutting the arrow shorter would accomplish the same thing. 175 point would equal about 3/4" of length being cut.
Hope that helps.

OP
TradLife406
When you say they are going to the right, are you talking impacting to the right or the tail is flying to the right?
If your impacting right, I would reduce the weight some. Try a 175 or 145 grain point. This will tell you if cutting the arrow shorter would accomplish the same thing. 175 point would equal about 3/4" of length being cut.
Hope that helps.
Yes the fletched arrows are constantly impacting right. I tried going from the 250 I have up front to 110 and still went right.
I just don't get how a new string and correcting my torquing problem would effect these so much. I'd figure they'd be all lined up now that they aren't getting flung left from torque.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe your nock height needs some adjustment? Unless my arrow spine is way off, my experience is that if my nock is not right then changes to length, point weight, etc won't have the expected results. Have you shot through paper? Nowadays I do that first to get the nock height right and to get spine as close as I can then I'll switch to bareshaft tuning to dial in the spine.

Did you change string material or type (Flemish vs endless)? Did you have silencers on one and not the other? All of those can affect spine.

Fjtoyman

FNG
How is the nock fit? Carbon nocks tend to be a tighter fit than wood glue on nocks. If they are really snapping on there they maybe hanging on to the string to long and that affecting your flight.
Changing that much point weight with out affecting the result of the impact point tells me you have something else going on.
Lumis is right, check your nocking point after checking your nock fit.

OP
TradLife406
Yeah I'm getting good flight with my nock where it's at. We (my bowyer/couch) spent a few days toying around looking for the perfect spot on the string and we got that perfect. I'm running the same Bohning Classic nocks as I do on the woods with a nock adapter.
Nope, no difference in string material. Just dacron I believe. He doesn't build fast flight bows/strings. Well he does of a prototype he handed to me. He forgot to tell me it was a fast flight bow... LOL I sent the first arrow about four feet high! Lol.

Shooting 3 inch shield cuts... Maybe my side plate is a little thin?

I'd say I was plucking it, which I do sometimes but I can shoot the woods perfectly...

I'll probably run the woods for Total Archery this weekend or use Kentucky Windage and shoot the carbons.

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
A new string will stretch some. You could maybe try increasing your BH a couple of twists. I would try that before cutting anything.

OP
TradLife406
A new string will stretch some. You could maybe try increasing your BH a couple of twists. I would try that before cutting anything.
I bumped it out about 1/8 or a touch more with no change.
Here's a group from this evening. The low is because I was shooting my woods and they are about half the weight of the carbons.

I could almost see the arrows going way left then kicking right as they left the bow.

I guess I'll try trimming a half inch off of a few and going from there.

I did shoot a 500 and 400 with 200 up front. And they were way nock right. Then I shot my 600 with 250 and it was a touch left.
e634b5b33b6c66a241384d6e6b6b006f.jpg
01ae37606ac41df941244f89de70af22.jpg

OP
TradLife406
I took 3/4" off my arrows and got them lined up. Now when they go right I know I plucked it. My rest/shelf is a bit worn too.