Tradrookie

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Im brand new to archery. I have been testing compounds for a few years and found a few that I liked but never was convinced enough to buy one. Recently, I was listening to a Wired to Hunt Podcast with some guys from TradGeeks. I saw they were from Western PA so I gave them a listen. Immediately, I knew I had to try Traditional. I went to my local shop, fired a few Recurves and Longbows and instantly knew this was it. I spent a some time asking questions. Questions I didn't feel I got the best answers to. So lets fast forward to now...

I bought a Striker Takedown Recurve. Went with a 38# draw @ 28". Didn't want to overbow and knowing that since Im not the strongest in my upper body(I'm a core/cadio sort of guy) this was a very comfortable weight. The bow is 60" in length. I have listened to a lot of podcast and FOC as pertaining to Traditional Archery seems to be the ticket when weighing kinetic energy vs FPS of the compound world.

The Easton Traditional Axis 500 arrow is what I decided on. The local shop has me using full length arrows with 125 gr and 145 gr tips. I realize I need to practice to develop form, grouping etc. The 145s seem to being working out better for me thus far. That all being said, once I get to a point where I am grouping consistently. Should I then turn to tuning arrows? The shop is obviously geared to the compound market and would love to find a local mentor to keep me on the right path. Any advice? Im continuing to read this Topic on the forum. I would like to get comfortable enough by mid October for whitetail here in PA and in NY. Any guidance is appreciated.

JB

WoodBow

WKR
Yes arrow tuning is important for trad bows since few are truly center shot. I largely prefer bare shaft tuning. Google will give you all the info you need on the matter.

OP
JB64

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, there definitely seems to be no lack of information out there. My end state is to be able to shoot 40 yds with confidence. That's a bridge too far st the moment though. Anyone going to the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendevous?

oldgoat

WKR
Watch "The Push" video on YouTube and Ryan Sanpei has some good videos too! You live in an archery rich part of the country so you should be able to find some help. Just don't get into the grip it and rip it crowd, learn a controlled shot process and since your just starting out, shoot 3 under.

Beendare

WKR
When you first start to shoot stickbows its tricky....as a new shooters form is inconsistent enough to make tuning frustrating.

Once you are grouping consistently, then bareshaft tune is the ticket...many good resources on that.

OP
JB64

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Just want to make sure I'm not spending time/ money on the wrong course of action.