Trad vs Compound

oldgoat

WKR
If you know when you are going to be able get to Rmsgear, you can schedule a lesson with Tom or Jerry, it's $40 plus range fees, don't need to bring a bow, plenty of gear available there, knowing how to properly shoot before you try a bunch of bows will help you immensely when you shoot a bunch of bows to weed out some!

Felix40

WKR
If you like to eat wild game you can probably say goodbye to full freezers if you hunt with a traditional bow. I started back into compounds about a year ago and Ive already killed more animals than in the last 5 years of hunting with a traditional bow.

I DO think traditional shooters should be carrying a rangefinder. It could help a lot for almost anyone.

The weight of the bow is huge. I can carry a recurve all day but absolutely hate carrying a compound. On the flip side, its really hard to strap a recurve to your pack while youre hiking but a compound is very easy.

bobinmi

WKR
Its lighter. The tangible benefits stop there. I just have more fun with it and it forces me to use it a lot more than just during hunting season.

I hunt with a recurve and a longbow because it is the best tool for me and my style of hunting, it fulfills all my needs and is capable of getting the job done. As pointed out by others it is lighter to carry and easier to maintain, less moving parts = less opportunity for failure and where I normally hunt, eastern hardwoods and bottoms, it is thick and shots come quick and timing is important, shots are relatively short. That being said when I go to Colorado next year on my first trip for Elk I will be carrying a recurve, it's what I do and how I hunt am I limiting myself over shooting a compound ? Probably; but I have a rifle and a slug gun if too so why bowhunt ? :cool:

Beendare

WKR
Benefit of a stickbow; its lighter is about it.

I recently had to swap back to my compound due to elbow problems and I literally can't believe how much easier it is to shoot a compound....

Shot

FNG
I made the switch to trad about 10 years ago, and switched back few years back. Still hunt with both. But like Aaron said, when I really want to kill something I pick up the compound.

An advantage I see with trad gear is the simplicity, weight, and easy of shooting moving targets. Other than that, there is a lot of frustration that comes with it.

Oh, and also the feeling of killing a large game animal with trad gear is amazing! I killed a small muley buck with mine the first year out and to date its one of the most memorable hunts I have been on.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I would absolutely love to go 100% #tradlife (/s) for a season. That said, I currently am only able to really get out and hunt for about 4-5 days, due to work and family obligations. If I could double my time in the field I would sell all my compound kit in a hurry.

The limitation on time and my focus on success is what keeps me with the compound. I love the experiences and would love to... deepen (?) them but at the end of the day feeling warm and fuzzy won't take the sting off tag soup.

Btaylor

WKR
I truly don't understand the romance with traditional archery.

There is not a simple answer to that either. For some it is a connection to he past or to childhood heroes. For others it may be the opportunity to craft all or nearly all of their hunting rig. There are plenty that aspire to look down their nose at wheel bow shooters but in my experience most of those folks don't do much killing. There is joy in watching the flight of an arrow that is amplified with traditional gear. At the end of the day, killers are going to fill the freezer and it does t matter what weapon is in hand. The most important aspect of traditional shooters is that are pursuing something they love. It is not for everyone much the same as center fire rifles are not for me. Love to shoot most any gun but there is zero appeal for me to hunt with one. Rifles may be your thing or maybe it is compounds or smoke poles, whatever it is the romance it holds for you may not be understood by others. For the record I hunt with both compounds and recurves.

There is not a simple answer to that either. For some it is a connection to he past or to childhood heroes. For others it may be the opportunity to craft all or nearly all of their hunting rig. There are plenty that aspire to look down their nose at wheel bow shooters but in my experience most of those folks don't do much killing. There is joy in watching the flight of an arrow that is amplified with traditional gear. At the end of the day, killers are going to fill the freezer and it does t matter what weapon is in hand. The most important aspect of traditional shooters is that are pursuing something they love. It is not for everyone much the same as center fire rifles are not for me. Love to shoot most any gun but there is zero appeal for me to hunt with one. Rifles may be your thing or maybe it is compounds or smoke poles, whatever it is the romance it holds for you may not be understood by others. For the record I hunt with both compounds and recurves.
No romance to it, I'm not going out there to take my bow on a long walk in the woods I'm out there to kill critters and eat them. I personally know several guys who have killed over 100 whitetails with a recurve and or longbow. No romance about that it's just getting the job done. Archery is archery that's all there is to it for me. It's like saying someone is Irish American or Italian American , that's all BS we are either Americans or we aren't, you are either a bowhunter or your not. It doesn't matter what is in your hand, you can either get it done or you can't. My all wood laminted bow or my bamboo backed osage bow is no different than my metal risered ilf recurve, in my hands it's a killing tool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While I'll likely never kill 100 deer with a trad bow, I've killed my limit of whitetail with a trad bow every year I have hunted with them. So, I understand both of your answers. To some, they are a tool they choose. But, as comments on this thread has shown, to others they are an idea. If your intent is to hunt with them, Just do it. While they offer a unique set of variables and obstacles, they also offer positives in comparison. You'll see that for yourself. God Bless men

Motivation is always personal.

There was a time when the compound was a fascinating weapon to me but I found myself even more fascinated by the demands (and limits) imposed by more classic bow styles. I don't call it trad or traditional, but I can easily admit that I got caught up in the whole wood-leather-wool scene for a few years. I might have had a few discriminatory thoughts about wheeled bows but I knew too many dedicated REAL bowhunters who shot them and were just as devoted to the sport as I was...and am. In any event, something about the challenge and simplicity of the classic weapons really appealed to my core needs. I never have liked finding solutions through devices. I much prefer personal struggle and development....taking up a device to remedy what's bothering me doesn't solve that internal problem. I guess I've just always thought the struggle was as important as the success. I haven't shot a compound in something like 30 years and can tell you it's been the right choice for me. I have friends who shoot all kinds of weapons and their weapon means nothing to me in terms of valuing their friendship. I'll always hunt with the guys who are friends and sportsmen first...weapon is basically a non-issue.

What the classic bows taught me....

I need to accept limits which will cost me opportunities at animals. It comes with the bow. I'm not accurate enough to take reliable shots at 40 yards. I will kill fewer game animals in my lifetime.

I've got to work harder to be an accomplished hunting archer. My shooting always needs work. My hunting skills need work. My patience needs work.

I've got to get closer. THIS is to me the essence of what drives me to use a classic bow...or maybe it's the reverse. I don't care. I know that close proximity to a game animal is the thing I value and desire more than the means of killing it. I absolutely LIVE to be 5 yards from a sleeping bear or caribou, have a bull moose walk past at something less than 10 yards, watch a buck whitetail walk under my treestand so close I can hear him breathing. When I'm all the way inside an animal's personal space...I consider the game won. The shot is up to me, but I've done what I set out to do...get the opportunity.

Finally....I love the strength of a fine classic bow. My moose longbow is 64 pounds at my draw length. I love the feeling of slow-drawing it all the way to solid anchor...holding...and hammering the target. Yes, I like knowing I can master the weight and there is no struggle there. It's essential for me. The power of a fully-drawn bow is a damn fine thing and I enjoy every bit of it. I'm probably one of the guys who will hunt slower and closer as I age. I don't even care about that. I kill enough game for my needs and I value every single animal taken by my hand. That's more than enough to keep my internal fire burning.

Pueblo

FNG
Like a lot of other posters my compound shooting can be far more precise, but for me I feel more deadly with a recurve. When I mess up with the compound I don't know what state the arrow will land in. With the recurve it's more "analog": a little left, a little high, but still a kill shot. I'm comfortable to 30 yards but practice to 50. With the recurve I'm always "at ready" and I don't experience any target panic like I do with the compound. It's really is all about focusing on a spot and getting a smooth release. My arrow flight off the shelf with a "Bear Rug" and feathers is better than I ever got with my compound even with a drop away rest. Also looking forward to the lighter weight when I backpack in next week!

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
OP, I see you're from NE Iowa. If you find yourself down in the Iowa City area you're welcome to shoot some of my bows. I've got quite a few (10-12) trad bows.

-Ben

PredatorX

WKR
Greater the risk or challenge, greater the reward. After 20 solid years of hunting with a compound I was ready for a challenge.

Strange thing happened last year in that I had just harvested my first deer with my recurve when I then proceeded to shoot over the back of a large buck. I was never more excited because the thrill had returned.

As a kid I shot a longbow and one of the main draws was watching the arrow in flight. Then as I switched to a compound eventually I lost sight of that arrow. It's great to be able to track your arrow to its target and then to relive it as you replay the shot in your head when you are at work daydreaming.

As strange as this sounds I also seem more connected to the process and to nature then I did all gadgeted up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I never shot much with a compound, a few deer. So not much difference going to a longbow. Also with a longbow I can shoot aerial. Also there's less to break on a struggle stick. Moving animals are also doable. The longbow is lighter. Also I think trad guys have more fun shooting. Compound guys are so worried about their bows being tuned and sighted in that when they miss by an inch they lose their minds. Or they always seem so frustrated. Trad guys miss and we are still having fun! Also my longbow built by a custom bowyer costs $450. A new compound is a grand. Then the accessories.

The cool thing I've noticed whitetail hunting with a longbow is I have to be more aggressive in choosing places to hide. I now pick spots that will put me within 15 yards or closer vs 30+ yards.

Snyder is right, trad kills are more rewarding! I've been only taken two does and it's been a lot of fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
For me it was the simplicity to start with,
I had killed a bunch of whitetails with the wheel bow. Have a good friend from Vermont that is a stud with a recuve. He made it look so easy! Milt has taken dozens of whitetails with a bear take down and used to shoot his a compound instinctively with fingers. Had a cam get jammed up with that led to a damaged bow that shut me down. Was 3 hours from the house with no back up. My compound was up to nearly 6lbs in hand. Purchased a recuve in 2000 that was built by a local guy. Enjoyed practice again for the 1st time in years. Love the lite in-hand weight, Quiet, shooting with both eyes and no peep adds 10 min of last light action on afternoon hunts. Mostly that feeling (when it comes together) and the arrow impacts just where you are looking! Can't say enough about this aspect.

Killing an elk has been a rough road. With a wheel bow I can say I would have taken at least 2 cows & possibly 1 bull. Because I suck at calling and making clear decisions, I have yet to kill an elk. Limited range and the need to make a confident killing shot has limited my shot oppertuities. Open country hunting makes the choice of weapon that much more limiting. Also, there is a value issue. Compounds lose value quickly. A quality Recurve may return a slight profit when sold. I must warn you. Since I got bitten by the traditional bug I have accumulated 5 bows and 3 extra sets of limbs!

LaGriz

Benefits, funner to shoot, lighter, more simple. I guess at first there may be some sense of satisfaction, but for me that went away after the first few animals or so. If you're a good hunter, there really is no difference. In saying that, with a compound I'm still a short range guy, sub 30 yards. Aaron above can shoot a long ways with his compound and I can see that being a big difference. I've always tried to be 20 yds or so example being I killed my first bighorn ram at 12 yds with a longbow, second ram at 23 with a compound not that much different.

Nothing with a stickbow is a slam dunk. You will learn the meaning of tracking animals not one guy I hunted with was immune to that. These days I like to hunt, but don't really like to shoot as much as I used to and really don't have the urge to shoot my traditional bows much.