Trad vs Compound

I have been thinking about switching to shooting traditional over compound. Besides the challenge and simplicity of traditional, what are other benefits over compound?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be interested to see where this goes.

It was definitely a more rewarding feeling when I killed something with a stick bow. It was all so much funner stump shooting as well as shooting small game, as you have a much easier time getting your arrows back.

There's also a large amount of frustration to deal with that I was not used to. I was extremely proficient with a compound at 80 to 100 yd and I shot about the same groups with a stick bow at 20 to 30.

Good luck, pick a spot and practice every day with good form!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
F
I'll be interested to see where this goes.

It was definitely a more rewarding feeling when I killed something with a stick bow. It was all so much funner stump shooting as well as shooting small game, as you have a much easier time getting your arrows back.

There's also a large amount of frustration to deal with that I was not used to. I was extremely proficient with a compound at 80 to 100 yd and I shot about the same groups with a stick bow at 20 to 30.

Good luck, pick a spot and practice every day with good form!

I followed your season with the Struggle Stick. I am prepared for the loss of range, especially in the first few years.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I followed your season with the Struggle Stick. I am prepared for the loss of range, especially in the first few years.
Wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to answer them. I would definitely get ahold of Rocky Mountain specialty gear with anything specific. Those guys are awesome to deal with.

OP
F
Wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to answer them. I would definitely get ahold of Rocky Mountain specialty gear with anything specific. Those guys are awesome to deal with.

I will. I am hoping to be in the Denver area this Christmas and plan to stop in a shoot a lot of bows, side by side. I have not found many places that have many, in any, trads.

DWinVA

WKR
I think one of the benefits that doesn't get discussed is there is less opportunity that an equipment failure will get you. I switched to traditional back in the mid 90s since here in VA my average shot is around 16 yards. I figured I could make those shots with a stick and string without the hassles of sights, stabilizers, releases, cables & pulleys, etc. Since then I've bounced back and forth from compound to longbows & recurves mainly based on the time I had to practice.....it definitely takes much more practice with the stickbow. I'm currently back to shooting and hunting with a 1998 recurve that I bought new and am having more fun shooting than I ever have.

In my opinion, thanks to folks like Aaron, The Push and Tradgeeks guys there is no better time to get into traditional archery. The podcasts and videos out there now are extremely helpful. If you can get some good coaching so good form is all you know but the biggest piece of advise I can give you is do not over bow yourself. I started with higher poundage stickbows (60-65 lbs) and it has taken me years to get over the bad habits I developed trying to shot them. I currently shot 47 lbs and really think a beginner should start with a 30-35 lb bow.

Good luck and let me know if there are any specific questions I can try and answer.

God Bless.

Btaylor

WKR
Other benefits are weight in the field and with a little creativity you can make up small game and stump shooting arrows for about a buck - buck fifty a piece.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot trad and primitive gear since 1974, and as mentioned above, there is no better time to try trad than now. There are SO many more sources of information now than just a few years ago - and many of the most knowledgeable people are young and eager to help. If you do jump in, be prepared to watch some nice animals walk by just out of range - that frustrates some folks. But as Aron experienced, the satisfaction level is really high when you do score. You may find that it makes you a better hunter too. Best of luck!

tater

WKR
Trad offers an amazing challenge and the opportunity down the road to craft your own gear and have an even more personal experience in archery and hunting.

It will also make you question your sanity.
A lot.

I think you could ask 100 trad folk for their pros and cons, and you would get 100 different answers.

oldgoat

WKR
Much quieter, you can stump shoot, you can change a string on the mountain as easy as in a shop, strings cost $20 or less, however the flip side, it's more challenging drawing on an animal, I would suggest getting lessons from a qualified instructor before you buy, you need to practice more, you won't be satisfied with just one(but all you need is different arrows possibly for each bow versus rests, sights etc for multiple compounds). The lists go on and on! Only way I'll switch back would be due to injury or legalities even though I know I could of stacked up a couple three good bucks and bulls since I switched that I just couldn't make the shot for various reasons or distance or arrow arc clearance etc. Start cheap with light bow and then buy a good one later!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
when the 'how you do things' means more to you than the 'how many you killed' you will go all trad.
I've demoted myself back to "killing more", but will occasionally step into "how I killed it" mindset each season.

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
I started 7 month's ago. A few bows later settled on a 58" longbow. I've shot it more in a month than my compounds in 20 years. Shoot everyday after work. Picked up a compound yesterday and it felt heavy and cumbersome. I've had a blast tinkering with arrow spine, point weight, bareshaft tuning etc., I'm consistent to 20 yards which is prefect for the Eastern treestand hunting I do. Learned a lot about above I never even considered before. Now have an arrow saw and other small tools to help with the hobby. I had slowed way down bow hunting over the last several years but this has put a new desire to get outside and enjoy shooting and hunting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
when the 'how you do things' means more to you than the 'how many you killed' you will go all trad.

My, my, my. That sure could be taken as an elitist comment.

That might be true for your very first animal with a stickbow but I think that is a very poor "blanket" statement. Let's take me for an example. I've shot stickbows exclusively since 2002. I've taken plenty of game and some nice quality, even "trophy" elk, bear, antelope, and deer. Heck I've even got a few turkeys and African game in there as well. I've also developed some incredible target panic right now. I'll be hunting with a compound this fall. Does the bow I shoot have anything to do with how I hunt? Not a chance.

The BOW does not make the man...and if your ethics are dictated by the bow you shoot, you should do some long hard looking in a mirror.

You can be just as big of a killer or game hog with a stick as a compound...I know plenty of them.

Shooting a compound WELL is not as easy as many make it out to be; especially those that choose to be proficient at long range.

Stickbow pros:

Easier to watch the arrow fly!
Directly connected to the arrow; YOU are the connection between the bow and the arrow.
Quicker to get off an accurate shot at times.
Massive sense of accomplishment in success.

Medic77

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is you will feel it in your gut. You will know if it's right or not.
I have shot trad exclusively for the last 8yrs or so. I have been traditional except one deer 2 years ago. I got a wild hair because of an elk I lost opportunity on because he was out of range. I didn't get a chance to go elk hunting that year but had a spot on the farm that I had bucks coming to a field edge that I just couldn't get close to. I took that compound out that evening, shot one of those bucks at 40yds and promptly sold that bow when I got home from that trip. I was proud of the deer and he tasted phenomenal but I didn't feel that satisfaction that I should have.
I have always tended to make things harder for myself than needed in most cases (fly fishing too) and am self taught. Hell, I have never even shot with anyone that has shot trad. I'm not sure if I'm good, proficient or what. Ive only been hunting for about 12 or 13 years and trad for the 8 or 9 of those.
What made me sell my compound many years ago was missing a doe at point blank range TWICE in the same sit while my recurve sat in my truck. I thought, "hell, if I'm going to miss with something it's going to be with traditional equipment."

I've shot trad bows for 30 years off and on. So, I may not be the norm. I have never hunted out west with one either. But, have killed plenty here at ranges most say isn't ethical. So, I really believe they ar easier for me to hunt with. While I have killed deer at 40 plus yards with them, most of my hunting shots are in the mid 20's. Which makes it easier for me to just pick a spot, trust my instincts enough to follow trough, and the arrow just goes where I look. It is autopilot for me.

Now, I can pick up my compound and out shoot myself at 30 yards and farther. Make no mistake of me saying different. But, I must concentrate, align, make sure the bow is vertical, etc..... So, yardages that are closer, its easier with a trad bow for me.

I would chose a lower anchor with your middle finger in the corner of your mouth. Which will give you a 55-65 yard point on. And, I'd shoot an arrow with 1/2" trim. With a 28 inch draw, it puts your point bank range somewhere from 15, close to 30 yards with arrows in the 9 gpi range. Meaning, your sight picture is going to be about the same for shots within that range. You'll get the stuff closer than 15 easily enough. Then, you can start gapping around 40 yards up to your point on distance. If that's 55 yards, that is a pretty dang good poke for any bow. If it's 65, even better. If you'll do this, you'll soon start to see just how accurately you can be at longer ranges with a tad bow set up to be.

Whatever you determine you want to do, ingrain your anchor. Make sure it is one you will repeat, practice repeatable form by developing a shot sequence, and pull through the release with your shoulder. The rest will come very quickly at that point. Good luck and God Bless

oldgoat

WKR
Watch The Push video on YouTube just came to mind, listening to their podcasts with Clay Hayes, the part covers some good stuff on shooting

lighter weight afield
easier to change a string
adjustments and tuning are simple
rangefinder isnt needed (less gear)
more accomplishment when you succeed
with take down model travel seems to be easier
more fun

cons most likely shot distance is limited
Its addicting
you'll have 20 bows in your stable before you kknow it.

Good luck and have fun

Shawn