Thinking about jumping into the trad world

shadow

FNG
So, I've been debating jumping into the trad world for some time now.

I really like the "looks" of R/D longbows as opposed to recurves. With today's new longbows, is there really any disadvantage to those vs. a recurve? I've shot a longbow and a hoyt target recurve, but they were years apart and I can't really remember any significant difference other than a longer twang on the recurve maybe?

I know of a few manufacturers for bows (Stalker, Tall Tines, Striker, Others?...). Just don't know if it makes a little more sense being new to it to get a more "off the shelf" mass production model to get started or just jump in with both feet and get a good one?

CaseyU

WKR
Good morning. I do not have any experience with traditional but have been fighting myself from dropping the compound and diving in. I watched a YouTube video that had a ton of great information. It's called "the push" for what's it's worth. Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would suggest go to a shoot and put your hands on as many bows as you possibly can and shoot them. Most bowyers want you to shoot the bow and will take the time to coach you up. You'll know the one when you shoot it because it'll go right where your looking and it'll fit like a perfect glove in your hand.

For me I start around 47 pounds until I developed good form and muscle memory. Now I can shoot anything up to about 65 pounds. You have to find a way that works best for you. Either instinctive shooting or aiming method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
I agree with Shawn, shoot as many as possible before buying one. Where do you live, there are several shoots and a couple good retail stores that you can try some bows out?

Felix40

WKR
In general a recurve will be a little faster and a little louder. There is also a different feeling to the draw cycle between recurves and longbows. Its not a huge difference though. One piece bows are lighter than three piece bows and that has its tradeoffs. There is a world of difference between bows you can buy off the shelf at cabelas and a custom made bow. If you can find a 3d shoot to go to just ask a few trad guys to shoot their bows. The other option is to find a shop with a few to try. Its hard to say what you will like until you try it but I guarantee you will enjoy a custom more than an off the shelf bow. You can look for a used custom on ebay, the leatherwall, trad gang etc. If you are shooting 70+ lbs with the compound I would be looking in the 45-50# range. Bare shaft tune your arrows or at least get them close and you will avoid a lot of frustration.

OP
S

shadow

FNG
Thanks for the input so far guys. I live in Iowa, and only one I know of is Barefoot Traditions down in Des Moines. I just haven't had the time to get down there and check it out. I've heard good things about it, and I've met the guy coincidentally out elk hunting in Idaho.

I am shooting 74# on my compound right now, so I was thinking of getting something in the 48-50# range.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anybody know any good bow makers in CO? At 32 1/2" draw and LH, shooting anything off the store shelf tells me nothing. But since getting my daughter a recurve and me short-shooting it a bit.......I am intrigued to try a real bow that fits me.

Grumman

WKR
Anybody know any good bow makers in CO? At 32 1/2" draw and LH, shooting anything off the store shelf tells me nothing. But since getting my daughter a recurve and me short-shooting it a bit.......I am intrigued to try a real bow that fits me.

I think I saw on here where Stalker relocated to Estes Park.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the input so far guys. I live in Iowa, and only one I know of is Barefoot Traditions down in Des Moines. I just haven't had the time to get down there and check it out. I've heard good things about it, and I've met the guy coincidentally out elk hunting in Idaho.

I am shooting 74# on my compound right now, so I was thinking of getting something in the 48-50# range.

The Footed Shaft in Rochester MN has a ton of used and new bows. Great guys there, check the website. They have a short range inside I believe.

Go see Brian wessels with tall times archery.

South lives in Estes now stalker custom bows. Also check with the clums @ RMS gear good people

Starting out with traditional gear for bowhunting? I'll liken it to starting out drinking wine or maybe bourbon. First, it's an acquired taste and may take some patience to start appreciating. Second, the wine (bow) you think is pretty good today might not be so great for you after gain some experience. But starting out right is critical to staying with it and having the best chance of being accomplished at it. So...like wine or bourbon...go get some advice from the experts who WANT you to succeed and love what you're doing. A noted bowyer or the like can help you avoid typical pitfalls and end up with a good bow that's right for you....not right for them necessarily. And like any endeavor, there is a learning curve which cannot be denied. The correct bow can help make learning an easier task, and will be a valuable learning tool. A good bowyer who really listens to you and wants to put the right bow in your hands is like the bartender or sommelier who takes the time to figure out your tastes and then pours you something you'll appreciate.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Starting out with traditional gear for bowhunting? I'll liken it to starting out drinking wine or maybe bourbon. First, it's an acquired taste and may take some patience to start appreciating. Second, the wine (bow) you think is pretty good today might not be so great for you after gain some experience.

The first bottle of wine I ever bought was the 1990 Caymus Special Selection Cabernet. From then on I could drink nothing less stellar than that bottle was. It was a very expensive hobby from there on out for many years........until I decided I prefer what that money buys outside of the wine world instead of in the wine world. But there's something to be said for "not knowing any better", and still enjoying yourself with lesser equipment. I'm sure I would have been fine with lesser wines if that's what I started out with.

Last edited:
As far as the difference in designs and different materials, I don't believe there is any practical difference in performance. After hearing a lot about recent advancements in traditional archery and performance lately, I decided to make a new bow out of modern materials (foam and carbon) and test it against the exact same bow (same weight from the same mold) made 25 years ago out of wood and glass. I shot them both over a chronograph and there was no difference. While I was at it, I shot different designs (R&D longbow, Hill Style, Hybrid, Recurve) and there was very little difference. I've documented this on YouTube under Solo Custom Archery, I think I named it something like carbon fiber vs wood glass.
As far as getting a bow, get what you like best and you'll enjoy it more and shoot it more. Try to borrow a lighter weight bow to start with until you're ready for hunting weight bow. People in this community will help you out. I just lent a bow out an hour ago, and I have someone coming over to pick up another loner from me tomorrow morning. All free of charge. It's a hard thing to get started in, so we're always willing to help.

Good luck

Tradchef

WKR
Try out as many as you can that has been told to you as stated above. Personally I wouldn't even go 45 to 50lbs to start. I'd buy a Sage at 35lbs and work on form, shooting and strength and then proceed from there. Getting to anchor with a 50lb trad bow is way different that your compound. Developing good habits versus bad ones makes the transition really good overall. I also think buying something like a sage is good because it doesn't break the bank in case you don't like it or have a hard time committing to it. Good luck with your adventures and let us know how it's going for you.

GLB

WKR
A lot of good suggestions. Please don't over bow yourself. Most people do and it leads to frustration and bad form. For a hunting weight you can do a lot with a 45 or 50 lbs bow.

GLB

WKR
^^^ also wanted to add that with a Trad bow when the arrow is released and the fleching sprouts exactly where you are looking, there is nothing like it!

Anybody that is curious about traditional archery and lives near Denver should go visit Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. They have hundreds of used bows for sale and extremely knowledgeable staff. You might want to call ahead to arrange the best time to visit. I was there one afternoon/evening after an elk hunt and it was same night as Ladies Night. Awkward!!!

Good luck with your decision to go Trad. It’s a long road with joy and frustration. Some days your shit hot, other days your shit not. I switched about ten years ago and haven’t wanted a compound since. The simplicity is so nice and the challenge can be rewarding. However it can also test your patience.........

Beendare

WKR
Try out as many as you can that has been told to you as stated above. Personally I wouldn't even go 45 to 50lbs to start. I'd buy a Sage at 35lbs and work on form, shooting and strength and then proceed from there. Getting to anchor with a 50lb trad bow is way different that your compound. Developing good habits versus bad ones makes the transition really good overall. I also think buying something like a sage is good because it doesn't break the bank in case you don't like it or have a hard time committing to it.

^That would be my recommendation also. 70# compound is 14# at full draw.....50# stick bow is just that. Its not that you can't pull the heavier weight but more you don't develop the fine motor skills of good form. Starting with a low poundage cheapie stick bow [$100] is the best way to get where you need to be.

I wouldn't worry about longbow/recurve yet. What you will find is that form is a much higher degree of difficulty with trad gear...some never achieve it. Take a lesson from a guy that understands aiming.

5 miles. You can start with a light bow but will eventually want to shoot for a 64" or 66" recurve or 66", 68" or longer longbow. I'm at 30" and anything under my 62" recurve just feels like I'm working against it. You will hear stories of long draw guys shooting shorter bows...but once you see them at shoots you will understand...very few can shoot them well.

Matt Potter [Montana state champ] is a about our size- a little taller actually 6'6"- and at the trad nationals a few yrs ago he was using a 66" recurve, says he also like a 72" longbow. He is also a lefty so I got a chance to shoot his bow [great guy] and his 66" recurve at 48# is butter smooth- essentially what you want.