Heavyweight Broadheads

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I too hunt with both trad longbow and a Bowtech RPM 360. With proper spine, bare shaft tuning and then high FOC (15% to 23%) every head will fly great for me. I recently took a couple species with a huge Rothhaar Snuffer and they flew like a dream at every distance I shot them (out to 60 yards) 4 feathers also helps steer huge broadheads.

I hunt with several trad bows that range in poundage so I use a 150 screw in head that can be changed out to a different arrow setup for whatever bow I decide to shoot.

(Bh in ga is going to kill me for this) but I use a carbon arrow and 150 cutthroat for my 45 lb selfbow

BBO bow is 52lbs so I use same setup with a 50 grain insert.

Glass bows are 55-65 pounds and I use a different arrow setup with heavier weighted inserts and same 150 cutthroat.

And if I were to even own a compound I’d just screw a 150 broadhead in a go.

An older fella told me about 25 years ago build your setup around your broadhead and that’s what I do. That way your not fumbling around looking for tips, blunts,small game heads, or broadheads when going afield. It also helps too to only use one head because there’s less sharpening to do. So to answer your question I would say 150-210 is fine but some will want to see 250 or a 300. Maybe offer a weight system with it.

Hope this helps shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know...I've shot plenty of carbon arrows in the past and know of their excellence. I also hunted exclusively with a selfbow some years back. I never combined them simply because I wanted to master that wood arrow until it came out of the bow straight and sweet....with a 1-1/2" Snuffer leading the way.

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a couple packs of the Palmers extreme cut heads shiva are made by Muzzy. It looks like a huge Phantom. Going to try it out on hogs this weekend.

KJH

WKR
I know...I've shot plenty of carbon arrows in the past and know of their excellence. I also hunted exclusively with a selfbow some years back. I never combined them simply because I wanted to master that wood arrow until it came out of the bow straight and sweet....with a 1-1/2" Snuffer leading the way.

Can you still get glue on snuffers? I tried ordering some a while back and was told they were't made anymore.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Correct, Roger died recently but even before that the Snuffers were not being made. Nobody has taken over their manufacture as of yet. Yes they are made to be glued to either a tapered shaft of a broadhead adapter. Thats the exact head I used on my Hawaii hunt for bull and pigs.

You will only be able to find the Rothhaar Snuffer broadheads on Ebay or in classifies.

KJH

WKR
Makes sense. Thanks. I only have 2 left...

Time to switch to something else.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just wanted to give an update that we decided to add a number of heavier weight broadheads. We are now shipping V-Series (vented blade) in 100, 125, 150, 175, & 200 grain and the S-Series (solid blade) in 125, 150, 175, 200, & 225 grain. Here is a picture of the s200.

s200_iso.jpg

bobinmi

WKR
Just wanted to give an update that we decided to add a number of heavier weight broadheads. We are now shipping V-Series (vented blade) in 100, 125, 150, 175, & 200 grain and the S-Series (solid blade) in 125, 150, 175, 200, & 225 grain. Here is a picture of the s200.

View attachment 70205

Awesome, you just created a customer with those solid 175s.

sneaky

"DADDY"
i assume the OP is asking trad hunters what they want since this is the trad sub forum. very few trad hunters use a 100gr screw in BH so there's no resistance to changing away from that.

IMO, if you want to appeal to the trad market you have to offer a glue on. we don't have the scope of bow tuning options that compounds have in order to tune arrow flight. shaft length and spine and point weight are our two main options. glue on BH's allows the customer to tailor the weight via adapters to suit their preference. the customer gets the weight they want and you don't have retool and redesign costs in offering a multitude of weights.

example- you would only have to offer 2 glue on models, 125gr and 175gr to allow the customer to achieve 200gr, 225gr, 250gr, 275gr and 300gr with the use of readily available 75gr, 100gr and 125gr steel adapters. there is even more weight combinations available if you consider using alloy adapters.
The same thing can be done with 150 and 200 and using insert weights that are already made by every major arrow manufacturer. Only exception would be with wood arrows, and woody weights have that covered. Glue on points add another level of aggravation in getting them to spin straight. Why make it any harder than it should be? You want 225 grains up front? 150gr head and 75 grain insert, or a 25gr insert and 50gr screw in weight. Way easier and more precise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk