What's new and what plans for 2018

GLB

WKR
Happy New Year. What you guys got going for this New Year? For me i will have a new Robertson Longbow, should be here in time for spring bear. Also new to me for this year is I will be using carbon arrows. I have always used wood. After spring bear I will be hunting Caribou in August and Moose in September. Moose hunting location will depend on how the draws workout. Curious to hear how your 2018 is looking like on the Trad side.

I’ve got a lion tag to fill, which should be exciting. There’s always coyotes to shoot and I’m starting to dabble in the trapping game. I don’t go back to work until May so I’ve got some time.

PredatorX

WKR
Love my Robertson Purists. My 64"er flat out rocks an arrow. Love shooting it too.

I'm planning to spend some time in SD chasing mulies. Starting the year by sitting in a stand tonight though. Trying to put a doe in the freezer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
Still trying to fill my PA tag but the single digits are making it tough. About a month ago I picked up a used Silvertip 60" and 63lbs at my draw length. Nice to draw when I'm layered up and looking like the Michelin Man.
Taking my oldest son to MT fly fishing after he graduates high school. Trying to put together a MT drop camp elk hunt in Sept. Will start coyote/fox hunting in a few weeks.

LostArra

WKR
Deer season continues until the 15th.
Then I try to keep my aging arthritic shoulder healthy enough to shoot my elk weight bow next September.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ I have dropped in bow weight some for my longevity in shooting the bow. I was shooting 60+ pounds Longbow and now moved down to the low 50s. I decided to try carbon arrows for the first time this coming season with a heavy FOC to help in penetration.

LostArra

WKR
^^^ I have dropped in bow weight some for my longevity in shooting the bow. I was shooting 60+ pounds Longbow and now moved down to the low 50s. I decided to try carbon arrows for the first time this coming season with a heavy FOC to help in penetration.

The state of Wyoming will only let me drop to 50 for elk. I'm not sure I would want to go lower unless I change my hunting plans and go for those wimpy pothead Colorado elk (that only require 35#). :)
But Colorado is not in my plans.

At my age I figure I have only so many shots with my 50lb+ bow so I ration them during the summer leading up to elk season.

Wojo14

WKR
I am still trying to fill my tag here in Western PA. I have been dedicated Trad only for the last 4 years.
I am getting into Bear Kodiak TD’s for this year.
I plan on heading out west this year. Hopefully I pick a good area and make it an annual trip with the trad gear. Learn the areas and become successful.
I do send in my chances for a Maine Moose tag every year...
~Wojo

Happy New Year!
In few weeks, my wife and I will be chasing Spanish goats up these hills.
yeRJqhs.jpg

I'll still be hunting with my Stalker Coyote, but I ordered longbow limbs. They should be ready in a few months. I'll also be using carbon arrows. This year, I'm trying the new CarbonTrad arrows by Victory.
MXcaX7I.jpg

We recently went on a hog hunt, but no luck...
Ou8QOEM.jpg

Best of Luck!
Ryan

bobinmi

WKR
Happy New Year!
In few weeks, my wife and I will be chasing Spanish goats up these hills.
yeRJqhs.jpg

I'll still be hunting with my Stalker Coyote, but I ordered longbow limbs. They should be ready in a few months. I'll also be using carbon arrows. This year, I'm trying the new CarbonTrad arrows by Victory.
MXcaX7I.jpg

We recently went on a hog hunt, but no luck...
Ou8QOEM.jpg

Best of Luck!
Ryan

Have you had a chance to play with South's ILF yet ryan? That thing may have cost me my tax return.

I will hunt a few hogs here and maybe some turkeys. I should draw Wyoming general elk this year with three points so that will be exciting for me. I go hunt the family ranch in Nebraska for muleys

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Ok, more new for me this coming season is a Howard hill Longbow. I found a used Wesley special that I couldn't pass on. Waiting on draw result in February to see where I'm hunting.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Eagerly awaiting a Dryad Orion recurve and planning my WA, and maybe ID, hunts right now.

First season with a tradbow and wishing it didn't have to be in WA.

Cove-Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted the past few years with a Stalker Wolverine 55@28". Really nice bow. I took it to my home in VA over Christmas and hunted whitetails with it. I ended up leaving it there so I would force myself to hunt with a different bow in MT this coming season.

I have a Fedora 560 one piece that I have owned for a several years that may see some action. I just recently picked up a used RER Vital built by Kevin that I am anxious to get tuned up. I will more than likely hunt with one of those two bows.

I also have some Schafer built limbs for a bear takedown that are currently on a Bear Mag B riser. I'm not crazy about the Mag Riser but the limbs are nice. I may try to buy a green stripe riser to put them on.

Plenty to tinker with through this cold weather!

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^Plenty to tinker with through this cold weather!

That's what keeps the season going, tunning new bows, making arrows, etc....

Last edited:

brownbear

FNG
Still trying to fill my PA tag but the single digits are making it tough. About a month ago I picked up a used Silvertip 60" and 63lbs at my draw length. Nice to draw when I'm layered up and looking like the Michelin Man.
Taking my oldest son to MT fly fishing after he graduates high school. Trying to put together a MT drop camp elk hunt in Sept. Will start coyote/fox hunting in a few weeks.

I'm with you!! I brought the longbow out yesterday since it was a balmy 27*. It's definitely tougher to draw back in bulkier clothing- let alone sitting aloft enduring the exposure to cold and wind.

One of my goals is to incorporate the '73 Kodiak Hunter and a '59 Polar that a neighbor was extremely kind to gift me. I ordered a few of Mrs. Brackenbury's strings in December to get them shooting. I've also been looking into getting an ILF bow. Had my eye on the LAS/Trad Tech Trident, but have used those funds for firearms and various reloading accoutrement. Now that I just read that Mr. Cox is in the ILF game, I may be interested in checking those.

PA Folks- did you attend Denton Hill this year? I haven't been there in two years now (its a bit far from SEPA) but may put that on the 2018 list as wll.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Working on a pair of osage selfbows - we'll see how they turn out before I decide whether to hunt with them. For 2018 I plan to hunt whitetails in Nebraska and moose in Alberta. Should be fun!