Nothing Adventurous, just some Hometown Hunting for 2018

Beendare

WKR
That had to make South nervous when you told him you were going to cut on his riser.....grin.

I did the same to a Dryad ILF riser...actually reworked the grip....now I like it much better. Best of luck in your season.

Wojo14

WKR
Ryan, nice thread. Hawaii looks very adventurous. What animals you hunt.
I have worked bows before to fit my liking. As far as BH selection, I have killed worth all 2 blade heads. Single bevel, and Simmons. Single belle are easier to sharpen for sure..keep us posted on your hunting. Awesome your getting it done Trad style. That’s all I’ve been since 2014.

-Wojo

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
That had to make South nervous when you told him you were going to cut on his riser.....grin.

I did the same to a Dryad ILF riser...actually reworked the grip....now I like it much better. Best of luck in your season.

He already knows how I am... LOL!

Thank you and Best of Luck to you too!!!

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan, nice thread. Hawaii looks very adventurous. What animals you hunt.
I have worked bows before to fit my liking. As far as BH selection, I have killed worth all 2 blade heads. Single bevel, and Simmons. Single belle are easier to sharpen for sure..keep us posted on your hunting. Awesome your getting it done Trad style. That’s all I’ve been since 2014.

-Wojo

Here are some of the animals we have here.

1V1if6b.jpg

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
Hawaii is on my list of places to go hunt. Looks like some amazing country. Is it doable for a guy to do a little research and get after it or would you suggest hiring an outfitter for the first time there?

As far as broadheads I have had good luck with VPA, Iron Will, and Cutthroats. The Cutthroats are probably my favorite at the moment. Love the Iron Will’s but they are expensive. Planning to order some of the Ozcut Elite Broadheads though as they look tough and come at a good price.

Good luck to ya in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Here's a quick recap of our season so far...

Opening Day. We ran into a hunter that was new to the area and helped him to get a 5 yd shot. He ended up going home with a nice billy.

XYDRkzc.jpg

The next few trips were very slow, so we decided to pack out some rubbish.

nDZcAl9.jpg

At this point Staci's bow took a bad spill and was sidelined, but she still decided to tag along.

MXCIxFR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
We tried to hit up some of our old spots, but no luck.

AXCDxlg.jpg

Then came the rain... It's been raining off and on for two months.

gWJpCnr.jpg

Lunch break

kSo7iWt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Many days were spent behind the glass.

X58HJTr.jpg

The signs of game were getting better.

k3Xe3QN.jpg

This was my first animal of the season. A quick break before the pack out. No grip and grip, just gut and go. LOL!

E2q3LUY.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Another cool aspect to this season is that my boy is finally showing interest in hunting. He tagged along for the first time last month.

CdUhwZZ.jpg

GLvnqcP.jpg

On this trip we had a hog come within a few yards, but he came in to quick and head on in the tall grass. I didn't have a shot and he ended up bolting after running right into us.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
On the very next trip I got lucky again. This time my pack was part of the blood trail.

Here's a link to a short video.
Makua Recap - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;-VDYxVxL2AI]https://youtu.be/-VDYxVxL2AI[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
An image I took the following week from the other ridge. It's the vantage point where I first spotted the goats feeding. The arrowhead is pointing to the specific spot. You have to view the video above to understand what I'm talking about.

v83bEoL.jpg

An image of the blood trail running over the pack.

OgIAAhW.jpg

The first arrow.

gGqxABy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
I hardly take any grip and grin images of myself these days. Just trying something different. Here's an image I snapped after deboning the goat.

TiJ6KSb.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Staci's new limbs showed up on Tuesday. We did some initial tuning and she should be ready by this weekend. Now it's her turn to hunt.

w6trXeu.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great thread Ryan
Our cold bow challenge starts May 1. Hope to see you there again. That water bottle shot last year was phenomenal

Beendare

WKR
Thats classic...you drop your pack for the stalk....and the goat sprays blood on it as its going by.
____

Ryan,
Is the Hawaii G&F shooting from Helos hurting your hunting at all?

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Thats classic...you drop your pack for the stalk....and the goat sprays blood on it as its going by.

Yeah, I though it was pretty cool!
____

Ryan,
Is the Hawaii G&F shooting from Helos hurting your hunting at all?

Yup, big time. I talked to them, I wrote to them but they won't listen. I tried getting the bigger organizations involved, but no luck. Just need to deal with it until we move. I'll post more info when I have some free time.

Aloha!
Ryan