Nothing Adventurous, just some Hometown Hunting for 2018

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Beendare,
The map below is where they were planning on conducting the aerial shooting with no recovery of animals. In the proposal, we asked that the areas marked in red and blue be left alone and if they wouldn't agree to both, at least leave the red areas alone. The first marked ridge on the bottom is an actual hunting area and the second ridge borders another hunting area. They claimed that the goats were affecting the watershed. In all my research and knowing the terrain as I’ve hunted there for over twenty years, I’m pretty certain the areas I marked is not a part of the watershed. Then they claimed that the areas I marked needed to be eradicated because there are too many poachers hunting with rifles. REALLY! Their solution to control poaching is to slaughter all the animals!?!?!? The battle is still going and their agenda remains to be unclear. The only thing that I’m certain of is that we are being LIED to.

44QyH9o.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
On her first trip back, we spotted a few small herds and made a a couple stalks. We got within ten yards of a few goats. The shot was really steep though and from her angle, she could only see the back of the goat through the thick grass. Unfortunately the wind switched and they took off.

147opQb.jpg

In terms of gear, I switched back to my 22 Mag and Staci stole my 14'r. :rolleyes:

Beendare

WKR
Ryan,
Great pics....and great info, thx.

i'm surprised at the helo shoots, most of those Hawaiian politicians respect the Hawaiian traditions; hunting, etc....though we have the same problem here with hogs getting into the reservoirs with Cryptosporidia....thus they wholesale trap them. [i used to have one of those contracts]

Its too bad i never ran into you the last time I was over for a hunt a few years ago.... I owe you a beer for sure....and we can compare bows.

I just had elbow surgery....but I WILL be back over there the end of this year or beginning of the next. I will get you that beer...promise.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan,
Great pics....and great info, thx.

i'm surprised at the helo shoots, most of those Hawaiian politicians respect the Hawaiian traditions; hunting, etc....though we have the same problem here with hogs getting into the reservoirs with Cryptosporidia....thus they wholesale trap them. [i used to have one of those contracts]

Its too bad i never ran into you the last time I was over for a hunt a few years ago.... I owe you a beer for sure....and we can compare bows.

I just had elbow surgery....but I WILL be back over there the end of this year or beginning of the next. I will get you that beer...promise.

For the most part, they consider the animals invasive species.

Beer and some raw fish. Sounds like a plan! ;)

Aloha!
Ryan

its so frustrating. here on maui we have all the landowners crying about all the deer but they dont allow access and theres no public areas to hunt them so of course their solution is to eradicate. easier for me to take the ferry and hunt pulama side on lanai than on maui and they wonder why so much guys poach. more state land, BLM style like on the mainland, or a work hunt trade program on the ranches, archery only, i dont care, anything would be an improvement, so damn frustrating.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
its so frustrating. here on maui we have all the landowners crying about all the deer but they dont allow access and theres no public areas to hunt them so of course their solution is to eradicate. easier for me to take the ferry and hunt pulama side on lanai than on maui and they wonder why so much guys poach. more state land, BLM style like on the mainland, or a work hunt trade program on the ranches, archery only, i dont care, anything would be an improvement, so damn frustrating.

That's crazy! Some of these landowners could really benefit from allowing hunters on their property.
Nothing makes sense here on Oahu. On a separate issue, the State can't even give us the correct code to the gate where we park. Last week we got locked in again and had to ask the Church to let us out. She ended up scolding us and telling us "why can't we leave by 5:30pm" (Church closes their gates at that time). Since she was already mad I didn't want to say much. Again the hunters look like the bad guys... I'm following everything that the State asks, but they can't get their side correct. Still not sure why they want to change the code every week. Left many messages with the DLNR supervisor, but never get any return calls.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
One of our only true candid shots together. We were both glassing under the cover of the trees while making a game plan. The small herd is just below the skyline, bedded in the trees.

rDU5bcN.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
It's also been a season for family trips. Staci sister wanted to experience what we did in the hills.

On the way up.

HyImbXs.jpg

Quick break at the top.

cFSZ4SH.jpg

Heading home.

zXqaUcd.jpg

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Great pics Ryan...

Good to know its not steep or nuthin /grin

And its always a surprise walking in that tall grass on what the lava holds for you......

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Great pics Ryan...

Good to know its not steep or nuthin /grin

And its always a surprise walking in that tall grass on what the lava holds for you......

Mahalo!

Not steep at all. ;)

No kidding! A good day up there is coming home unscathed!!!

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
With hunting season open, we're not on the ocean as much, but we're still going when the winds are down.

IpehbT2.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
It's pretty sad to see that our State's solution to management is aerial gunning with no animal recovery. I think we make some pretty good meals for our family with the animals we harvest.

QkncbSO.jpg

Last edited:

Vurtle

FNG
Hey Ryan. I just got back to Texas recently from Oahu. I hunted at Makuu. That place is some tough terrain! Much respect for you. After experiencing it, it is even better and steeper than the pics show. We could hear one goat up the south mountain ridge and made our way up there. I had no idea grass could grow that tall and thick. It is hard to tell that until you get in it. We found goat turds at the top of the ridges but didn’t lay eyes on anything. Walking the ridges up there is amazing. I went to the Kapolei archery range. Very cool place. I had my string pop off of my compound and a guy named John helped me out. Really nice guy. I mentioned your name and he said he knew you. I was gonna PM you, but I guess you have your PMs disabled. Anyways, awesome place and I hope you keep posting pics of your hunts.