Nothing Adventurous, just some Hometown Hunting for 2018

For the last few months, we've been kayak fishing and getting ready for our bow season that opens on February 1st.

Here's a nanny that Staci shot last year.

tCqHJu5.jpg

Some offseason fun on our kayak.

I5ooQgY.jpg

During our offseason, I also worked on my shooting and gear.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
This year I wanted to go back to shooting a four fletch. The shelf on my Coyote is a little big so I decided to cut it back to get some extra clearance as I prefer a 90 degree orientation.

4uqFqQU.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
I'm currently shooting four 3" feathers. They were 4" parabolics that I cut back to 3". I also added an additional nock set as I changed my anchor.

P3YgXHV.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Thinking about trying some new boots, but I'm in no rush as these Caminos have served me well.

xw8wdQv.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Probably use the Apollo this year. I'm going to add the guide lid, just haven't got around to ordering it yet.

WanPNBQ.jpg

I'm still attaching my bino pack to my shoulder straps. Been working out well for me. In the bino pack, I have my 10x42 Swaros which I won't be changing anytime soon.

PYFLDzo.jpg

Last edited:

Steadman

WKR
Good to see you post Ry. Our gear is pretty close. I’m still looking for my boot 😠 That’s costly. Thinking about the Caminos. Hope you’re well

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Good to see you post Ry. Our gear is pretty close. I’m still looking for my boot 😠 That’s costly. Thinking about the Caminos. Hope you’re well

Happy New Year to you and yours!
Yeah, boots are always tough. So far, Lowas with Sole insoles have been working out well for my feet and type of hunting. I usually buy my Lowas from shoe buy. I think they have a 25% plus free shipping right now.

Last edited:
Thinking about trying some new boots, but I'm in no rush as these Caminos have served me well.

xw8wdQv.jpg

Running real similar boots in the cevdale gtx from Iowa. Probably a little stiffer than your Caminos but they climb well. They're my go to for early season warm weather... I haven't had them leak either. Great boots

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Running real similar boots in the cevdale gtx from Iowa. Probably a little stiffer than your Caminos but they climb well. They're my go to for early season warm weather... I haven't had them leak either. Great boots

Thank you for your insight. I just took a look at them. I really like the looks of the traction and the high rubber rand. Looks perfect for the terrain I'm in. The terrain can get nasty in some areas and good boots are a plus.

CBeL7sr.jpg

Now I just need to decide on a broadhead and I'll be good to go.

Last edited:

brik

FNG
Ryan
Hey you just helped me out on my post over in backpack section. Great pics your are very lucky to be able to hunt there. I have very flat wide
feet and bc of that i have to really pay attention to the boots i use for hiking hunter and such. I have lowas Tibet and they are very comfortable
for my feet. I also have a pair of limmer stock boots for hiking that i love just expect to put 20 miles on them b4 pain goes away then after 60
miles they become your favorite. All that said after reading one of the reviews here i really want to try whites this year and hoping they will a
hunting version of my limmers. As far as broadheads go have u looked at centuar big game heads? Ive used them and became a huge fan of
single bevel after.
Good luck this season maybe to you and the wife this season.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan
Hey you just helped me out on my post over in backpack section. Great pics your are very lucky to be able to hunt there. I have very flat wide
feet and bc of that i have to really pay attention to the boots i use for hiking hunter and such. I have lowas Tibet and they are very comfortable
for my feet. I also have a pair of limmer stock boots for hiking that i love just expect to put 20 miles on them b4 pain goes away then after 60
miles they become your favorite. All that said after reading one of the reviews here i really want to try whites this year and hoping they will a
hunting version of my limmers. As far as broadheads go have u looked at centuar big game heads? Ive used them and became a huge fan of
single bevel after.

Best of luck to you too!
The Lowa Tibets are killer, just a little too stiff for me. I'll check out the other two you mentioned.
I've never used those broadheads, but I've tried a few single bevels and a couple simmons. Love the blood trails on the simmons, but I have a difficult time trying to sharpen them. Staci shot the goat above with a single bevel. I'm probably going back to something stainless. The steel heads rust too fast here.
Have a great new year and I hope all goes well with the packs. You could always try and contact Aron or Frank at Kifaru. They've always provided exceptional customer service.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
As for broadheads, I just ordered a few packs of these Northerns. Trying something new for 2018.

iawB654.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan let us know how those northerns shoot, I'm also looking for a broadhead this year.

Will do! I've been looking for a reasonably price broadhead with these specs for the last couple years. If it's quality built, I think it's going to do well for me.

Ryan
single bevel after.

I wear whites or nicks every day for work. They're on the heavy side for hunting but it'd be tough to find finer craftsmanship

Tradslam

FNG
Ryan I bought some of those northerns (they were under another name) but they did ok. Shot 15 or so critters with them, not the toughest heads from my testing, but not bad either.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan I bought some of those northerns (they were under another name) but they did ok. Shot 15 or so critters with them, not the toughest heads from my testing, but not bad either.

Thank you for the insight. Yeah I was looking for something stainless and reasonably priced. All the quality steel heads rust too quickly in the salt air and high humidity. They run about $50 AUS which came out to $40 US for a pack of 6. In the terrain I hunt, I damage (on the lava rocks) and lose (in super thick vegetation) a bunch of broadheads.