Stump Shooting heads

Loco4dux

WKR
New to traditional archery and having fun with it. Keep hearing everyone talk about stump shooting.

What heads do you gentlemen recommend/use for “stump shooting”?

With my compound I’ve used judo and the g5 small game head which I’ve had good luck with. I’m interested in heads like that for small game and also rubber tips (i think that’s what they use?).

Cheers,
Spencer

ScottinPA

WKR
Judos, hex heads, hammer head from 3Rivers are what I use. Best hunting practice there is in my opinion. Be careful of those stumps that change to rock while the arrow is in the air.

oldgoat

WKR
Very rare to find stumps rotten enough here in Colorado, but mole hills, cow pies, flower heads, weed stalks etc etc make fine targets, even a whiffle ball works good, get used to odd unknown yardage targets. Best all around heads are the small game Thumpers from VPA, they cost more but are indestructible! Can't say that for a lot of the other heads I've used and they come in heavy weights.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the G5 small game heads, judos, and rubber blunts, but more and more I just take an old field point and put a bateman adder small game head from Lancaster Archery Supply behind it. They're super cheap, and I always have a supply of decommissioned field points laying around, so I don't feel bad when the stump I was aiming at has a rock buried in it or I miss my mark and wreck one. I actually put them on backwards so they expand kind of like a judo rather than collapse around the arrow shaft if they bury in a log, and feel they get caught up in grass clumps and such better that way as well. I bend them back into shape until they literally fall apart and are no longer usable.

I like the wiffle ball target idea - I use foam practice golf balls randomly thrown around the yard in a similar fashion with both the recurve and the compound. I also like to shoot at pine cones - both on the ground and in the tree (so long as it's safe if I miss) - as well as apples, pears, etc. Aim small, miss small.

I use Judos and do most of my practice with them. I think it’s important to match the weight of your practice arrows with Your broadheads. This can be difficult because Judos are usually 150 grain and under, but traditional guys typically shoot heavier broadheads. I solve this problem by gluing weight in behind my insert to get the desired weight with a 125 grain head. That way I can use the same arrow and spin on a 125 grain broadhead or Judo heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk