Strugglestick Addiction, An Article Series By Aron Snyder

Yes on the Android phone. When I touch the link on the screen, it tries to open another tapatalk graphic but fails.

I'll just go to rokslide.com

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yea the link doesn't work on my Galaxy either, I just went to the site on my PC

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Great job brother! Always awesome to see someone put some serious effort into learning to shoot and overcome the limitations of traditional gear.
I can only imagine how helpful the guys at RMGS were. I finally made it to their shop a few months back. Such an amazing gathering of people and trad gear.
Thanks for the writeup. And congrats!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cutthroat.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed Part I as much as I did! Aron just finished Part II and you can check it out here. Strugglestick Addiction Part II

Don't forget to subscribe to this thread at the top of the page by clicking "thread tools" so you don't miss part III.

cochran53

FNG
As someone who is just getting into traditional archery, these articles and the videos/podcasts related to them have been amazing.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
These articles have inspired me. I just bought my first bow yesterday. I am going to try archery for the first time in my life. Am I excited? Hell yes. It is not a struggle stick, but maybe one day who knows. thanks. Aron.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about re-living my early years by finding another old Fred Bear recurve to get back into traditional archery. I am 57 and havent shot a bow in 37 years but it seems like yesterday. I had shot plenty of deer with a rifle when younger as me and my buds practically lived off them but that was a different era.
One day back then my bro and I were at a neighbors garage sale and picked up 2 Bear 45# recurves and a pile of f/g arrows. Didnt take us long to get proficient at instinctive shooting. I dont know if you all remember the scene in Full Metal Jacket when Crazy Earl got his 'first kill' but that was exactly what my face looked like after mine (minus the music). My first shot at a deer was about 30 yards and the arrow went right thru the center of the heart. It left a plus sign cut mark on both sides when I took it out. Since then I got hooked and the thrill of pussy footin around on a stalk with a kill by a 'primitve' weapon gave me more charge than any rifle shot.
I since got out of it and now can shoot a deer at 800 no sweat with lasers and computers so the challenge is not the same and neither is the effect. There is a fantastic archery course in the woods at my local shooting range which is only 10 min from my house. I am gonna go for it and thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:
Tesoro...pretty neat story. I hope you get back into the fun side of archery and bowhunting. Life is short and there is much pleasure waiting behind such a simple bow.

Bowhunting with classic or traditional bows is sometimes compared to fly-fishing, which is as good a parallel as can be found I suppose. I'll take it as step further and say it's more like Tenkara fly-fishing. Ultra close ranges. Skill and stealth are essential. More about the man than the weapon in his hand. I was asked (by one of my clients who is a rifle hunter) how close I needed to be for a kill. I told him..."Approximately the same distance at which you pause to photograph the animal you've just taken". He just shook his head (smiling) and said "I don't know how you do it". There's no magic in it....just the absolute need and determination to fully outwit the quarry and master the close shot.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I like those take downs! Will check out that Hoyt thx. I have a Martin take down compound wheel bow from the mid 90's. I took a very well known hunter on a crazy jaguar hunting trip into to some Latin American jungle and he gave me his bow when he left. I thought it was very neat because it and its screw together arrows and points all packed up together in a very small soft case. Easy to stash in suitcase to evade customs hassles! I still have it as a memento. I was thinking about sending it back to Martin for a redo just for the heck of it.
Is there a recommended place to buy used recurves? I'd prefer to buy from a traditional shop as will need many others things to get back into it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tesoro; said:
Is there a recommended place to buy used recurves? I'd prefer to buy from a traditional shop as will need many others things to get back into it.
The shop Aron recommends is linked in part 1 of this series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk