Which bow for a beginner.

Looking for suggestions on which traditional bow to purchase. I had a traditional handmade recurve many years ago and shot it pretty well. I have a pretty short draw length if that matters when choosing brands or styles. I hunt with a rifle, muzzleloader and a compound, but would really like to get back to basics and hunt a few traditional hunts that are offered here in my home state. The up close and personal nature of the hunt appeal more and more as I get older :). I travel out of state a lot also and I have been researching hunting in Hawaii, so I'm considering a take down (2 or 3 pc.), but not sure if I'm getting ahead of myself there. Meaning should I start out with a more basic, lower level setup to begin with? I know it will matter how the bow feels to me, but I need a starting point. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I've read a lot on this site, but there is a ton of information to decipher for a beginner. Thanks

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, the grip is most important. You will have to shoot a few different bows to determine what grip fits you best. If you just want any bow to plunk around to be sure this is what you want to do, then any cheap bow will do but you it may not fit right and you won’t get the results you would if you shot a couple. You can find a bunch of customs bows second hand but you need to know that you can shoot it.

When I started, I bought a custom and learned how to shoot it. When I shot a few different models, I realized you dont have to “learn” to shoot it if the grip fits.

ScottinPA

WKR
After writing this and re-reading your question, some of this may not apply:

Go to any trad shops or shows in your area and try as many as you can. Also, there are plenty of Youtube and DVD's out on different shooting methods. Review them all and decide what you want to try. If you can get some personal coaching, do it.

When I went back to a recurve I bought a used bear recurve at 40#, a big drop from my 80+lb compound. Correctly tuned bow and arrow will go a long way to helping you shoot well. Again, YouTube and DVD's are available on this.

What worked for me was shooting - a lot. For weeks I shot from 5 to 20 yds doing a walk back and forth. In other words, shoot 3-4 at 5, then 10 then 15 then 20 then 15 etc. Quit when you're tired. Stretch the distance as you get better.

As I got stronger and shot I sold the lighter bow and bought a higher weight bow continuing to do the walk back and forth practice. I picked up a used custom bow after that and ordered a custom a few year later after trying many different bows.

I would suggest starting with a fairly light weight draw and building up from it also as you get stronger. It is really easy to pick up bad habits if you are struggling to get to and hold anchor.

Seeknelk

WKR
X10 on starting light! As in 30-40 lbs max. You want to be able to dominate the draw weight. Think of the holding weight difference, a 40 lb single string bow has 40 on the fingers...a 70 lb compound about 13-14. Huge difference at the weakest part of the drawing muscles used. An ilf riser with the ability to change grips and cheap limbs would be my recommendation. Check out samick discovery r1 ...or other ones at Lancaster. There r wood ilf risers too...that look sweet! Just some thoughts.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where you are located but hitting a trad show would be my recommendation as well. That’s the best way to shoot a bunch of different bows at once...Starting light FOR YOU is important but if you can pull 100 there’s no reason to start at 30 IMO. Good luck. I’m making the transition back to my trad roots this year as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
So I was in a similar situation, and like many beginners (it seems) I went with a Samick Sage. I am/was totally new to traditional archery so I had nothing to compare the Sage to. The local archery shop does have some traditional bows in stock, but right from the gate they tried to over bow me, so I just ordered online.

I heeded the advice of starting light and bought my bow with 35# limbs. My draw length is around 29" so I'm drawing a little more than that. I'm glad I didn't start any heavier. I shot a few 3D shoots last year, got to take a lesson with Tom Clum at RMS Gear in Denver on vacation and shoot at least a few arrows almost every day. I really enjoy shooting a recurve overall. If I had it to do over again, I might even have gone with 30# limbs because I plan to buy a heavier set when I get more serious about hunting. I think some guys buy the minimum their state allows for hunting and are over bowed perhaps. I'm 6'-0" about 178# and starting at 40# with my draw weight, I'd have felt over bowed.

So, if you aren't really sure about bow grips, features, etc. and don't have access to a good traditional shop, you want a takedown bow and don't want to break the bank starting out, I think you could do a lot worse than a Samick Sage at 30-35# at your actual draw length.

R H Clark

FNG
I would suggest you pick up a very inexpensive used recurve of 40-45 lbs and make sure you have some arrows correctly spined for it. You might even need deflection lighter than .600 since you have a short draw. You need to learn about bareshaft tuning and don't cut arrows before you bareshaft tune.

You will have to shoot a while to develop an idea of what you really like and shoot best,so there's no need to spend money uselessly on the perfect bow to begin with because you don't know yet what that is. Try to attend some trad 3D shoots and try out different bows and after a while you will begin to know what you like and shoot best.

I'm hardly an expert- I just started shooting recurve this year- so take my advice with a grain of salt. I picked up a Fleetwood Edge for about $140. It's very similar in price and quality to a Samick Sage. So far it seems like a very nice bow for the price.

I'm currently shooting with 45# @28". I have a short draw length, 27" for compound and about 26" for my recurve, so I should be pulling around 40# at my draw length. This has been a good weight for me to be able to shoot a lot without getting tired so I can dial my form in.

It's a takedown, so I can buy different limbs if I want to go up in poundage and hunt with it. The limbs are compatible with Fast Flight strings, which can get you a little more speed. At this stage of the game for me, I feel like there's a lot of value in a Fleetwood or a Samick for starting out. Maybe someday when I'm more experienced I would appreciate an expensive custom bow, but I see this bow keeping me happy for quite a while- whether for hunting or just having fun in the backyard.

Last edited:
I would also add that for a beginner, the youtube video The Push was very helpful. It helped me understand different bow types, tuning, and most importantly, the various aiming methods. You should check it out.

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
Another option in the Sage and Edge market is a Mountaineer 2.0 by OMP (October Mountain Products). It is a takedown recurve.

I too went traditional not too long ago. It's been awesome and I'm having more fun shooting now than I had in 20 + years of shooting compounds.

I started out with a old Shakespeare Sierra that I love the feel of and it shoots smooth...but its short (52") and while my draw length isn't long - it still stacks too much on me for it to be really comfortable so I went with a Mountaineer for now. Down the road, I'll look at upgrading, but really, I'm enjoying it so much now that I'm just having fun and can't wait to hopefully kill my first deer with it this fall.

Go on the light side is solid advice as mentioned by others. Other good traditional info is available from Jeff Kavanagh and Clay Hayes, both on Youtube as well.

Good luck to you and welcome to trad!

Beendare

WKR
Yep, go light like the guys above stated, buy a cheap bow you can turn around and sell for 75% of what you paid for it on the classifieds when you move up.

Heck you aren't going to know what you want to shoot for real now anyway. Shoot a cheapie Samick sage for awhile, get some instruction [spend more on lessons than the bow] and learn good form. I see so many stickbow guys- even at tourneys- that will NEVER be good shots due to their poor form.

Eden

FNG
Check out a Big Rock Black Hunter.
I just ordered one yesterday from twig archery after a ton of research.
From what I've read and after talking with John at twig, you will not find a better bow for $200. I ordered a 30# longbow for the wife with an extra set of 40# limbs that she will hopefully work up to. I shoot lefty so I wanted a bow for her and other friends that want to try traditional.

flytrue

FNG
A year ago I left my compound for a Samick Sage, #40, 62". A trad friend helped me along. I have since taken a black bear and a blacktail with it. I'm getting good with it and plan on moving up 5 lbs, either with new limbs or a whole new bow.
40 lbs is light, but I love shooting it and I'm good with it.