Making stone arrow heads

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I was asked by a friend to make a replica arrow for is den. When I was at the WI deer and turkey expo last year I picked up some chert stone flakes that will work great for this project.

chert1.jpg

I used a nice, thin, white piece for the arrowhead.

chert2.jpg

I made some wood and cooper tools and an antler brow tine to flake away the stone. The leather is to protect my hand as I press the coper tool against the chert. The flakes are sharp.

chert3.jpg

I started by squaring off the bottom of the flake and then chipped the head to shape.

chert4.jpg

chert5.jpg

Lastly I added the grooves to each side that will be used to tie the head to the shaft. This is where I make the most mistakes and break the head.

chert6.jpg

chert7.jpg

Next, I used a knife to cut a groove in the end of a wood shaft to accept the stone head.

chert8.jpg

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I will trim away the extra wood after I tie the head on.

chert9.jpg

To tie the head to the shaft, I use the sinew I save from the loins/backstraps from my deer.

chert91.jpg

It separates into nice thin threads.

chert92.jpg

I soaked the sinew threads in cold water to soften and stretch them. While waiting, I stained the wood shaft. The sinew does not really get tied onto the shaft. It is more like wrapping a wet noodle around the shaft. After I put on a few layers, I dried it with a blow dryer (just like I'm sure the early people did). This makes it shrink tight. I then rub the sinew with a block of bees wax to waterproof it so it won't get wet and loosen up.

chert93.jpg

chert94.jpg

chert95.jpg

For the fletching, I went back to the turkey feathers and tied them on.

chert96.jpg

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
While stone is fun to work with, I still like the old school metal trade points from the Pope and Young days. I made these using harvested turkey feathers and band saw blade points. All is lashed together with sinew.

finished2.jpg

finished.jpg

primitiveheads.jpg

primitivequiver2.jpg

tipi.jpg

Looks good, I've done the band saw blades and they work well. I have also knapped a few points. I have a couple old toilet tanks in the basement just waiting for me. I really like rivercane, that stuff is like the original carbon arrow !