The switch to 3 under and tuning

I've been shooting split finger since I started shooting a trad bow several years ago, but really knew nothing about everything that goes into it till last year when I learned about arrow tuneing. So I have my arrows shooting good for my current setup. I was wondering if switching from split to 3 under would change anything for my tune. I also just shoot instinctive at the moment and plan on learning how to gap shoot. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
My wife switched last year and it was easy peasy, didn't have to change anything, I try it and the arrows fly ok, but the bow gets all loud etc. You'll just have to try it and see how it goes. Make sure you have a double nock set and you might have to play with your nock height a little.

Oz Bow

FNG
Switching to 3 under may require an increase in your nocking point height, alternatively depending in the bow you’re running you could adjust the tiller.

bobinmi

WKR
Nock height will probably have to go up a little. What bow are you shooting? Some are tillered for one or the other. My bows are all tillered for 3 under. You can check your tiller and if it is even you can assume that its tillered for 3under.

OP
W
It's a bear super grizzly 45#. I'm currently deployed at the moment, it will still be a few months till I get to shoot again. Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna start when I get back. I just wasn't completely sure if and how it would change any Thing. I've been reading on different aiming techniques and it seems to me like most like to bring the arrow a bit closer to your eye to minimize your gap you'll have to hold for, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

chech how the bow is tillered also. that will effect the way the bow shoots. adjust your nocking point and get ready to hear louder releases. I dont know why you would change because in your original post you say your arrows are shooting good.

best of luck

I've swapped back and fourth a couple times, but always go back to split. To get good arrow flight I had to raise my nocking point and also had to tune arrows again. My draw 3 under was slightly shorter than when I shoot split. I guess from trying to anchor higher on my face, under my eye. If your bow is louder, and most will be, a Dacron string will help to quiet it down. Though there are some disadvantages too when going that route.

All in all, it's an effective way to shoot. Most every really good shooter I've seen shoots that way. Just not really for me.

Good luck.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Compared to split, with 3-under I always have to raise my nock height (by about 1/4”) and, if I remember correctly, I always have to shoot a weaker arrow (about 1” longer and/or higher point weight).

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Wilson...thx for your service
3 under takes a little while to get used to as you really want a high anchor.

It really depends on what type of shooting you do as to whether 3 under is an advantage. Field is better with split. Hunting better with 3 under.

What you will find is your 15-30yd accuracy will get better with 3 under....as your eye is closer to the arrow. Yes, your nok will have to bump up.

Rod Jenkins in Masters of bare bow 3 had a good segment on setting up your bow for a gap. "The Push" on youtube has good info too. I prefer to hunt with a fixed crawl very accurate at bowhunting distances...[outlined in The Push]....but can't always shoot that way in some tournaments as they make you touch the nok.

FYI,from shooting a bunch of trad tourneys....... accuracy wise......the best stick bow shooters are Stringwalkers [fixed crawl included]...next best is gap.