Vap Trad or GT Classic XT's

Anyone played with either of these?

My bowyer has a 65# (at my draw) D he's finishing up and said like he always does he was making it for himself but he'd let me buy it and help me finish the grip with a locator style grip.

I've shot cedars, Carbon Express and currently Black Eagles.

But I see Gold Tip XT's come with a footing system. And the VAP has their SHOK insert that's almost a Valkyrie kinda deal.

I know GT has a good reputation. But I think I switched to a stick when VAP came to the market and don't know much about them.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you looked at the Bloodsport TimberWolf arrows? I'm still mad that they quit making the Beman MFX arrows. The Axis Trad arrow doesn't hold a candle to the MFX. I've shot GTs out of my recurve for a long time. Shot a lot of the VAPs too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I'm shooting the regular VAPs with the Stainless Steel insert, I love them, hands down best flying arrow I've shot, I was able to add an extra 100gr the tip and stay in the same spine exponentially increasing my FOC while only adding 30gr total arrow weight. I only have 2" high back Shield Cut feathers and can still control a big Simmons with a mild cross wind!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm shooting the regular VAPs with the Stainless Steel insert, I love them, hands down best flying arrow I've shot, I was able to add an extra 100gr the tip and stay in the same spine exponentially increasing my FOC while only adding 30gr total arrow weight. I only have 2" high back Shield Cut feathers and can still control a big Simmons with a mild cross wind!
You shooting Rayzr feathers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the CarbonTrad from Victory? If you are, the CarbonTrads have an ID of .204, they're not as skinny as the VAPs (not sure if they came out with a trad version for the VAPs). The GPI is on the heavier side too. So far I have no complaints about the shaft. Let me know if you have further questions, I've been hunting with them since the beginning of this year.

OP
TradLife406
Are you talking about the CarbonTrad from Victory? If you are, the CarbonTrads have an ID of .204, they're not as skinny as the VAPs (not sure if they came out with a trad version for the VAPs). The GPI is on the heavier side too. So far I have no complaints about the shaft. Let me know if you have further questions, I've been hunting with them since the beginning of this year.
Yeah, the tradition carbon from VAP. Do they hold up stump shooting and tradition hunting/shooting abuse. I was also looking at the TKO. I think I can hit almost 25-30% FOC using the TKO. That 95 gr insert/outsert sure makes it easy to start adding weight quick.

So the theory is a micro diameter will be stronger than a standard or .204 shaft?

Thanks Ryan. Stalking your Instagram you've definitely field tested them.

bhylton

WKR
tradlife- .204 shaft vs .166shaft.... if they have the same grains/inch, the .166 shaft will have a greater wall thickness vs the .204 shaft to end up at the same weight. greater wall thickness equals greater durability.

oldgoat

WKR
The Razors sure work great from what I can tell!

These are better I believe, because of how they are shaped, I don't think it's all that much difference than a full length feather in it's ability to control arrow flight and quite a bit cheaper per feather if you don't factor in the feather chopper price (it's all how you spin the price)

cuPuyWG.jpg

OP
TradLife406
These are better I believe, because of how they are shaped, I don't think it's all that much difference than a full length feather in it's ability to control arrow flight and quite a bit cheaper per feather if you don't factor in the feather chopper price (it's all how you spin the price)

cuPuyWG.jpg
Any issues with those stainless outserts bending? How are they stump shooting?

oldgoat

WKR
Any issues with those stainless outserts bending? How are they stump shooting?

No issues bending, but if you hit something hard, these VAPs will break, not much if at all easier than say a lot of other arrows, I would imagine the heavier GPI models would be tougher, I don't shoot many stumps and when I do, I make sure they are super rotten first. Around here there is no in-between stumps. So far every insert I've recovered I could reuse. Most of my breaks occur hitting the reinforcement on a 3d target. One thing I will say, it took me a few tries to find a glue to hold them in, hot melt didn't work, jb weld epoxy didn't work, the glue from Black Eagle worked like you read about! They aren't the toughest arrows, but they sure fly good. My wife shoots low 40s @28" and she hasn't broke hardly any, she's shooting same thing but .500 spine, I shoot both .400 and .500 depending on the bow at 31" and I break more. If you want a really really really tough arrow, look at those skinny Goldtip Trad arrows that look like they are footed, they are just too heavy for my taste and since I need a full length arrow, I can't get the FOC high enough with them.

OP
TradLife406
No issues bending, but if you hit something hard, these VAPs will break, not much if at all easier than say a lot of other arrows, I would imagine the heavier GPI models would be tougher, I don't shoot many stumps and when I do, I make sure they are super rotten first. Around here there is no in-between stumps. So far every insert I've recovered I could reuse. Most of my breaks occur hitting the reinforcement on a 3d target. One thing I will say, it took me a few tries to find a glue to hold them in, hot melt didn't work, jb weld epoxy didn't work, the glue from Black Eagle worked like you read about! They aren't the toughest arrows, but they sure fly good. My wife shoots low 40s @28" and she hasn't broke hardly any, she's shooting same thing but .500 spine, I shoot both .400 and .500 depending on the bow at 31" and I break more. If you want a really really really tough arrow, look at those skinny Goldtip Trad arrows that look like they are footed, they are just too heavy for my taste and since I need a full length arrow, I can't get the FOC high enough with them.
I was playing around with the FOC calculator on Gold Tip. With their Kenetic Pierce I'll get above 25% easy.
With the GT trads I've got the same issue. The 10.2 GPI kills the FOC. The Black Eagle Trad instinct is a solid option though. 8.8 GPI and a micro.
... And I dont even have the bow finished yet hahahaha!