Anybody check the speed on their stickbows?

GLB

WKR
I had the chronograph out as I was doing some load developing on one of my rifles and decided to shoot my longbows through it. The bows I shoot now are 50-52 lbs at my 26" draw length with arrow weight 575 grn. I got a whopping 145 fps😳 Good thing I didn't do this years ago I might have questioned its effectiveness 😁 Anyway I was a little surprised at the fps and would have guessed closer to 170.

Sheepdog

FNG
I've been curious to this as well and pulled out my cronoy. Here's what I got:

set up- black widow 62" long bow. 52#@28". my draw is 29"
cabelas stalker extreme arrows @ approx. 470 grains
3 under tab
distance to crono- 3 ft

average FPS 12 arrows 189- minus min/max almost all where with in 1.7 FPS of 189
low FPS 177.8- think was under drawn
high FPS 201.3-think I might have slightly over drawn

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Its been a couple years as I've had a bad elbow, finally just had the surgery.....my 3D setup was at 177fps....487gr arrow at 50#

Never checked my hunting setup

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I always use a heavy arrow especially with the lighter bow weights I now shoot. I am OCD on shooting form, arrow tunning and flight and never considered the speed as part of the equation.

Last edited:
I have done several of mine: All at 28" draw:

Border Hawk longbow, 66", 53#, 480 grain arrow 195 fps, 530 grain arrow 183 fps

Border Covert Hunter Recurve with 49# Hex 7 long limbs, 389 gr. arrow 208 fps, 425 gr arrow 200 fps, 527 gr arrow 185 fps

Border Tempest Riser with Border Hex 7.5 medium limbs, 40# 366 gr arrow 195, 405 gr arrow 185. 445 gr arrow 177

Border Covert Hunter Recurve with 45# Hex 7.5 medium limbs, 445 gr arrow 192 fps, 514 gr arrow 182 fps.

Toelke whip 64" longbow, 43#, 355 gr arrow 183 fps, 410 gr arrow 172 fps, 445 gr arrow 164 fps.

I must say, the Toelke is the most fun to shoot!

Mike

Sheepdog

FNG
I don’t think it really matters much either. Even with a compound bow and sights. It was interstesting to see how much the velocity was dependent on my form and how close it was with good form. It will also be interesting to see what the velocity changes to when I get a hunting setup and add another 100ish grains of arrow weight.

Last edited:

bobinmi

WKR
I'm planning on it once I have my setup finalized for the year. I don't think its that important but I'm just interested to see if these Dryad limbs live up to the hype as far as speed is concerned. They have been great as far as tuning and smoothness of draw.

amp713

WKR
My compound is only shooting a little faster than some of these bows haha but I set up my arrows more like a traditional build so it makes sense ha

oldgoat

WKR
All the time, for different reasons, some of it is just away to see where my form is as far as consistency. Also I like to try and set up two bows to shoot same speed, I geek out on stuff and like to compare different setups. Speed is far from an end all do all but knowing it can help make decisions!

ScottinPA

WKR
I've done two of mine a few years ago. My heavy bow was 212fps (76lb & 725gr arrow), light bow was 187fps (63lb & 635gr arrow). A little faster than I expected but close to what Stu's calculator told me.

R H Clark

FNG
I've got as much as 212-217 with my ILF target bow. That's with a 30" draw and about 5gpp arrows,10 strand string and no silencers. Yes, the limbs and riser are safe to shoot 5gpp. Most of my hunting bows average in the high 170's to low 180's.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
30" draw, JCA Sniper 19" riser, 14strandD97, Uukha Uureg 50#, 648gn sirius tradstar 350spn with vpa single bevel, 3" parabolic 3 feather = 168.3 FPS average @18 yards. (.48 momentum, 12gpp, 28% FOC). 171fps @ 6 yds, 161fps @30yds.

But the top limb gave up after about a year of use. IMG_7533.jpg

Wrench

WKR
My toelke Whistler is 50@28 I am a 29. The Whistler was pushing a 525 gr arrow at 168fps. My uukha irbis is 55 and it sends a 590gr arrow at 185fps.
My 64" whip is 50@28 and sends a 525gr arrow at 152iirc.

Not a one is a handicap. The recurve is nice in the elk woods because it is forgiving of distance errors.....but I have zero issue with the others and prefer the Toelkes when hunting whitetails because it is so quiet.

oldgoat

WKR
K since this blast from the past thread is back up, after watching one of the Ranch Fairy's videos yesterday I want to buy a Lab Radar chronograph, you can check your speed throughout the entire shot distance in the same shot, that thing is freaking cool! This video is compound based, but still interesting and related, I'm just curious if the arc of a stick bow arrow would stay inside the radar cone of this Chrono out to sixty yards or not, anybody have any experience with these things, think they run about $500

Geewhiz

WKR
64" bear super kodiak
59 lbs @ my 30" draw
657 grain total arrow weight
172 fps avg

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
K since this blast from the past thread is back up, after watching one of the Ranch Fairy's videos yesterday I want to buy a Lab Radar chronograph, you can check your speed throughout the entire shot distance in the same shot, that thing is freaking cool! This video is compound based, but still interesting and related, I'm just curious if the arc of a stick bow arrow would stay inside the radar cone of this Chrono out to sixty yards or not, anybody have any experience with these things, think they run about $500

The ability to assess data applicable to one's specific hunt scenario distances is a confidence builder and I found it very helpful for making my arrow component and arrow variable selections. It was also cool to see the slight distinctions I had with lighter arrows because it showed me how little my speed differed to the heavy arrows which were more aligned with Dr. Ashby's principles. When I looked at my data(I made a spreadsheet) I was able to hone in the arrow weight that was more consistent/balanced/holistic. So, the lighter arrows were of course faster out the gate, but then comparing them to my ideal max penetration distance of 25yds I felt much better about selecting my hunting arrow weight. This assessment also helped me see the momentum factor loss of the lighter arrow(Ranch Fairy shows some great info on why momentum consideration should be a prioritized arrow weight build objective).

And, conversely, my data helped me to see how the heavy arrow I thought was more aligned with the arrow performance principles wasn't as optimal for my system as the arrow weight that had a more holistic/balance of the data variables which better align with terminal arrow performance principles. That might be difficult to apprehend without looking at the numbers, but essentially I looked at arrow speed at all my distance markers and the arrows that had less speed reduction were the one's that I perceive as "holistic/balance". Of course I also considered momentum and grains per pound calculations. I simply knew that my FOC was already above 16% so I let FOC percentage be the icing on the cake once I finished my builds.

In regard to your arrow arc question, I believe the radar array is sufficiently broad enough to accommodate arrow arc, but the shot data baseline begins from the point which your shot takes place. You select the setting on the radar to account for how far away from the radar you are loosing your arrow. From memory I think you shoot 6"-12" next to the radar. There is a wired mic you plug into the radar and attach to your bow. The mic communicates to the radar so it can track/chart your arrow based upon the particular distance settings you have entered prior to your shot: (0yds,5yds, 10yds, 15yds, 20yds). So you set your distance groups at I think it is 5 yard increments. However if you wanted to chart data starting at say 10yds then you would set that as the starting point and enter the distance increment parameter you set on the radar in the settings tab.

I don't recall the max distance, but I think it works more than enough for archery.

They sell different mics/triggers for gun shooting.

Your target path just needs to have a clear path so there isn't interference with the radar array. I hope that paints a clear picture :-D. Manufacturer would benefit from communicating what I just did :-D.

oldgoat

WKR
The ability to assess data applicable to one's specific hunt scenario distances is a confidence builder and I found it very helpful for making my arrow component and arrow variable selections. It was also cool to see the slight distinctions I had with lighter arrows because it showed me how little my speed differed to the heavy arrows which were more aligned with Dr. Ashby's principles. When I looked at my data(I made a spreadsheet) I was able to hone in the arrow weight that was more consistent/balanced/holistic. So, the lighter arrows were of course faster out the gate, but then comparing them to my ideal max penetration distance of 25yds I felt much better about selecting my hunting arrow weight. This assessment also helped me see the momentum factor loss of the lighter arrow(Ranch Fairy shows some great info on why momentum consideration should be a prioritized arrow weight build objective).

And, conversely, my data helped me to see how the heavy arrow I thought was more aligned with the arrow performance principles wasn't as optimal for my system as the arrow weight that had a more holistic/balance of the data variables which better align with terminal arrow performance principles. That might be difficult to apprehend without looking at the numbers, but essentially I looked at arrow speed at all my distance markers and the arrows that had less speed reduction were the one's that I perceive as "holistic/balance". Of course I also considered momentum and grains per pound calculations. I simply knew that my FOC was already above 16% so I let FOC percentage be the icing on the cake once I finished my builds.

In regard to your arrow arc question, I believe the radar array is sufficiently broad enough to accommodate arrow arc, but the shot data baseline begins from the point which your shot takes place. You select the setting on the radar to account for how far away from the radar you are loosing your arrow. From memory I think you shoot 6"-12" next to the radar. There is a wired mic you plug into the radar and attach to your bow. The mic communicates to the radar so it can track/chart your arrow based upon the particular distance settings you have entered prior to your shot: (0yds,5yds, 10yds, 15yds, 20yds). So you set your distance groups at I think it is 5 yard increments. However if you wanted to chart data starting at say 10yds then you would set that as the starting point and enter the distance increment parameter you set on the radar in the settings tab.

I don't recall the max distance, but I think it works more than enough for archery.

They sell different mics/triggers for gun shooting.

Your target path just needs to have a clear path so there isn't interference with the radar array. I hope that paints a clear picture :-D. Manufacturer would benefit from communicating what I just did :-D.
Definitely some cool stuff! Doubt I'll ever get one unless the Mega Millions comes through tonight! Just a few years ago I would of worked a couple extra OT shifts to pay for one, but now it's just hard to get motivated that much, lol!