packing arrows?

Sheepdog

FNG
Hi guys,
I was wondering how you guys pack in arrows for a hunt. I'm just starting to get back into archery hunting after picking up a long bow. It's a one piece with a bolt on selway 6 arrow quiver. I've taken it on one turkey hunt so far where I took the quiver off and left the arrows in and just strapped it to my pack and put the bow in a sock. I'm not really happy with that because it smashed the fletching and allowed the arrows to twist and be flexed due to the strap holding them. I was thinking about some kind of plastic tube but the closest thing I found while walking through lowes was heavy pvc. I've been riding my bike back into where I hunt other wise I'd probably just leave the bow set up and not worry about it. I also wouldn't mind having the ability to carry a few extra arrows for stump/ grouse shooting in the fall. How do you guys go about it?

GLB

WKR
I use a Raptor Archery leather side quiver that I will strap to my pack when not wearing it. The leather does a good job protecting the arrows. Extra arrows go in a plastic tube and attached to the pack. The feathers will get flatten some but easy to fix.

OP
S

Sheepdog

FNG
I might have to try a side quiver. The bow came with the Selway and its familiar so I haven't changed it. How noisy are the leather side quivers? I did have a belt loop added to my compound quick release quiver. That way I could use it as a side quiver when it was windy hunting on the north slope. It worked pretty well but the arrows were held securely and separate.

what kind of plastic tube do you use?

GLB

WKR
The plastic tube I have is an old shipping tube cut to length. Post Office, Staples and other shipping store should have them. It doesn't have to be PVC strong but should be a thin plastic.
The side quiver from Raptor Archery is quiet and I have it adjusted so it hangs high between my hip and under my arm pit.

OP
S

Sheepdog

FNG
Thanks for the help GLB. That tubing was exactly what I had in mind.

How is that quiver when going through the alders? I’ll bet it goes through them pretty well like that, as well as you can through alders anyways.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have used a plastic tube meant for shipping blueprints before to good effect. I used a foam disc with slits cut in it to keep the arrows from smashing together or rattling. I haven't had the need lately due to 7 arrow quivers on my compound, but i may need to re-visit this if I decide to embrace the trad life in the future...

GLB

WKR
Thanks for the help GLB. That tubing was exactly what I had in mind.

How is that quiver when going through the alders? I’ll bet it goes through them pretty well like that, as well as you can through alders anyways.
It does a great job going through alders. Keeping in it high like I described above I'm able to tuck it under my arm and point/guide it it through. It naturally hangs at about a 45 degree angle and when going through brush I pull it parallel to the ground to snake through.
I have been using this particular quiver for 17 years and it will last a lifetime.

GLB

WKR
Just took the photo for you to see how it naturally hangs

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 53

oldgoat

WKR
My arrows stay on and the bow goes in a bow case designed for strung bows with quivers. Rmsgear sells a nice one that's padded.

OP
S

Sheepdog

FNG
I like the looks of that GLB. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go that route. I found out this past weekend that Ultimate predator decoys don't fit well on a longbow with a selway quiver attached.

Tag_soup- that foam disk idea sounds really good! I did end up getting an adjustable arrow tube from plano at RMS. I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit 2 dozen feather fletched arrows in in without smashing up the vanes.

oldgoat- I bet that works pretty well also. I've been riding my bike to get back into places to hunt turkey and not sure I'd want a strung bow just in case I took a spill. Also it's nice riding in looking like I'm going fishing vs hunting-less competition.

Thank you guys for the help

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, bike could change my mind too! You should get one of those baby stroller trailers to haul your stuff in

GLB

WKR
Sheepdog, give Ted Fry at Raptor Archery a call. He’s in his new shop now and makes that quiver.

OP
S

Sheepdog

FNG
Yeah, bike could change my mind too! You should get one of those baby stroller trailers to haul your stuff in

haha I've thought of that. I just need to do more of it to see if it'd really be worth getting. I can think of a few places that it would be nice but just as many that it would be a giant PITA.

Thanks GLB, I'm going to have to give him a call soon.

I strap a Cat Quiver to the side of my pack using the bags compression straps. I shoot at home with a leather back quiver and might even deer hunt with it, spot and stalk. But a big mountain pack and a leather back quiver don't jive. This seems to work OK. But I don't drop my pack and get too far from it. I may this next year take the quivers strap so if need be I can take it off the pack and just rock the quiver to close in.

Shooting a slim D style I can't make myself put a quiver on it. The guys at Selway said they are working on a something that should help us.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ddiwd33

Banned
I take 4 arrows with me. Three with good hunting broadheads, and one with an old crappy squirrel killing broadhead. I've thought about taking more, but I've never even got more than one shot at a deer. If I was hunting out of a camp, and not from my house, I would think about taking more.