Arrow set up for newbie

I just got into archery a couple months ago starting with a 30# recurve shooting some arrows that came with it, pre set up by the company. Well, i just bought a bear 59 Kodiak reissue in 45# for hunting hopefully this season and i'm trying to figure out what arrows to get or set up for it. I've never done any of this before but i have been doing a bunch of reading and using the dynamic spine calculators. Most forums recommend a 500 spine arrow, but when i run it through the calculator i get a low FOC and GPP. I was thinking of going with GT traditional 400, and 150 broad heads bare shaft tuned to my setup. I have a 28" drawand im gonna be using GT traditional carbon (i get a deal). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oldgoat

WKR
Start with those full length, I bet you end up with 200gr at least up front. Probably more like 250 up front.

OP
T
playing with the calculator a little, I've come up with some rough estimates for starting points:

150g at 32" -478 grain 15%FOC
175g at 31" -494 grain 17%FOC
200g at 30.125 -511 grain 19%FOC

so i think i'm gonna start with the 175 and 200 grain field points and see what i end up with.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
Work on the basics with establishing good shooting form doing some up close blank bale work. Get a consistent shot sequence before you start worrying about fine tuning your arrows. Start with the 500's full length and 175 grn. pts.

oldgoat

WKR
Don't get to wrapped up with those calculators, there's way to much difference between stick bows for them to be more than a starting point, even two identical spec bows from the same bowyer can shoot different. Never cut an arrow till you shoot it and figure out it's too weak with the points you want to use and verify it with a lighter weight tip first.

OP
T
I would think i am pretty constant in my shots currently with my 30# bow, i can group all 6 arrows at 10 yards inside 5 inches with the occasional flyer. i feel the stock arrows i am shooting with it are holding me back. at 20 yards i have to aim up because the arrows drop out quite fast and my accuracy gets worse. I got this bow just to learn the basics and see if it would be something i would like to pursue and it is. So now i am getting a nicer bow, with hunting poundage that i want to be able to fling arrows as accurately as possible. the best shooter in the world cant group a rifle that is inherently inaccurate at extended range. If i can get well tuned arrows, then i feel i will be able to improve my form and be more consistent because if i miss, it can only be me doing something wrong. i plan on bare shaft tuning the arrows, i know the calculator is only a rough guess. i appreciate the help, thanks.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Are you dead set on The GT’s? I Use Easton gamegetters to help get a desireable GPP considering they have greater GPI than a carbon arrow.

OP
T
I could do easton too. I'll have to look into those as well. I work with a guy that is an archery guru and I'm hoping to get some insight and help from him to perfect my form and dial in my arrows. I'm hoping to be ready to hunt come September, worst case I will try for a turkey. I'm shooting every other day about 60 or more arrows at various ranges. Can't wait to set up this new bow.

Try some 2016's full length. Use a plastic bag like a wal mart bag and fold it over a couple of times over the end of the shaft and push your insert in using a table top or work bench then screw if your field point, whatever weight broadhead you want to shoot. Make up two arrows this way, no fletching, with the bag you don't have to glue in the insert. Shoot them and if they fly well you might be done. If they are weak trim off 1/4 inch at a time, a small pipe cutter works well for trimming aluminum shafts, until you get good flight. Fletch 'em up and shoot 'em.

bobinmi

WKR
I like a pretty heavy arrow so I think that you are not far off with .400s and a lot of weight up front.

wytx

WKR
You could try some nice tapered woodies spined at 50-55 lbs, doug fir , sitka spruce, southern yellow pine etc ....
I shoot osage orange footed shafts with doug fir main arrow shaft.
Good woodied will fly like darts.

OP
T
I don't think i'm ready to go to wood yet. If i do, I saw three rivers sells a wood spine test kit. they also have "screw in" arrow heads haha.