Micro fletch and single bevels

Any issues running a single bevel (Cutthroat) with 2x4 fletch? Do you need larger helical fletch to help add spin to the head? Would I be better going to a three bade?

Setting up new arrows and started over thinking a little lol!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you've bare shafted and got a pretty good tune already you shouldn't have any issues at all. A properly tuned arrow needs very little fletching to steer it, especially one with a high FOC. Higher the FOC the less fletching it takes to steer the arrow. Crosswind drift will be reduced as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I'm using three 2.5" high back shields I make with a chopper from 3rivers. I get awesome flight, even with big as Simmons Sharks with a little cross wind too boot, but I'm also pushing 30% FOC. If you go skinny light arrows with a heavy insert it's certainly doable! I'm shooting Victory VAPs with their 100gr stainless outserts and 250gr heads, Simmons and Cutthroat's. Switching from .400 GT Hunters to the VAPs, I was able to add an extra 100gr up front and utilize the shorter feathers. Heck when I bareshafted some for a new bow and wasn't quite dialed in on tip weight yet, the arrow straightened out at about twenty yards and flew true. I'm totally convinced now on uefoc arrows and small feathers!View attachment 73615

OP
TradLife406
I've heard a couple reputable people saying going over 25% starts to cause some erratic arrow flight. But then other guys say 30% is the magic number.

I can easily hit 30% especially on this new #65 stick and a VAP or a VX Rip.

With a 340 Peirce I'll be at about 25%. Is there that big of a difference between 25-30% to notice?

Thanks guys. Working long days on no sleep your mind wonders a lot lol

Beendare

WKR
I've used the small Blazer vanes on some light arrows for shooting 3D in my recurve trying to squeak out a little more horsepower /grin

Sure, the better tuned you are the less fletch needed...but that not the ONLY reason; Bigger fletch helps stabilize your arrow due to minor form flaws too. Heck, I've shot with some of the best stick bow guys in the US....and they may use tiny fletch in competition, all use a decent size feather or vanes when hunting.

Its the same ole thing about hunting vs target shooting....and the reason why even some of the worlds best shooters have made some bad shots on animals. Heck, I was on a hunt decades ago with the IBO World Champ [compound] one year...and he missed a bull that came in to under 30 yds on that hunt. This from a guy that can hit a $.50 cent piece every time in competition at unmarked distances....it happens.

Put 3-4" feathers on that thing and call it a day.

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
Are you asking about 2x 4" or 4x 2"? Even though it's the same "length" of feather you'll get more surface area out of the 2-fletch

I've been trying out some 2x 4" and 5" (shooting a 160 grain glue on Cutthroat) and they fly very well, but I'll probably stick with more feather for hunting arrows for the reasons Beendare says...just a lot of variables can come in to play, and getting that arrow straight as quick as possible off the bow is important.

bhylton

WKR
4x3" gives good surface area and the feathers are cheaper then the bigger ones. i think .25c/each on lancaster. gives you 12inches of feather

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
4x3" gives good surface area and the feathers are cheaper then the bigger ones. i think .25c/each on lancaster. gives you 12inches of feather

Thanks, might have to give those a try. I've used 3x4" in the past but have been trying 4x4" and 2x4-5", I really like the 2x and 4x-fletch for no-look nocking.

OP
TradLife406
Anyone played with the Batwings?

I've been shooting 3x3 this past year and it works great for broadheads for me. I do noticed a little funkiness with the 4x2 with a broadhead. Just doesn't seem to be as consistent. But then again I'm no Howard Hill lol.

I think when I get my new arrows bare shafted I'm going to fletch up three of various varieties and just see what handles a broadhead best for me.

On another note has anyone use fletch tape? I don't have much time to fletch arrows and waiting for glue to dry sucks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone played with the Batwings?

I've been shooting 3x3 this past year and it works great for broadheads for me. I do noticed a little funkiness with the 4x2 with a broadhead. Just doesn't seem to be as consistent. But then again I'm no Howard Hill lol.

I think when I get my new arrows bare shafted I'm going to fletch up three of various varieties and just see what handles a broadhead best for me.

On another note has anyone use fletch tape? I don't have much time to fletch arrows and waiting for glue to dry sucks.

Wait for glue to dry? Super glue takes like 10 seconds per feather. Yes, I've used fletching tape quite a bit. It's what I'm using now. Trick to getting your system dialed in with it, super glue is quicker, but the tape works well, especially if you want to strip feathers off later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk