GPS Options for Iphone - Gaia or Onyx or?

gelton

WKR
With the purchase of a new 64gb Iphone 6S I think I am finally ready to take the plunge and use the phone as my dedicated GPS device. My previous phone was only 16gb so not enough room to store the maps for offline use.

I know backcountry navigator is a big hit for Androids but I am wondering if anyone has used Gia maps or the newly released Onyx for iphone? Just trying to compare and contrast the options out there. Also, if there is a different option (gaia, onyx or?) please let me know.

Any tips for maps, overlays, etc would be helpful. Looking forward to ditching the Garmin Montana and all the batteries that I have to carry with it.

oopslala

FNG
I have the Gaia app, and from what I can tell it will do everything I need. It's worked properly while on airplane mode and hiking around Michigan. One thing to consider, Gaia had many layers available but most of them you have to pay and extra $20 a year if I remember correctly

pierceje

Lil-Rokslider
^^^That. I've used Gaia for a few years. Worked perfectly in wilderness areas. Just got OnX, and I personally like Gaia better but I'm used to it. The only benefit I see to OnX is the land ownership info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using GAIA for years now. I have it so it saves my waypoints so when I get a new device they are all there. All the features I need none of the extra fluff.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had to make a change from Trimble and went with Gaia. OnX just rolled out their computer mapping device. Previously you had to use their google earth overlay. The Gaia system has had the maps for planning for a while now. I wanted to like onx, but it just didn't seem as up on the planning and navigation areas.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Ive used gaia since beta version. I like it because it cashes everything i look at while i have service or wifi, rather then haveing to download i bunch of little blocks. I usually sit down and go to the area i want and start with the first layer and move it around everywhere i think ill be. Ill do that with all layers. Only 2 i really use. Last but not least is ill zoom in and out on the area so it saves it. Gaia syncs with your account so if you upgrade phones you just download the app and sign in and everything restores. Once everything is cashed(memory saved), when you get to the spot and open the app everything will be there and you can scan around without opening individual saved blocks or small chunks or land. One last tip is i open gaia before i leave town and turn gps on so i get a good gps lock before getting to the mountains. Ive had to wait 20 to 30 mins before to get a signal lock without doing this first. Once ive gotten the gps lock, i havent lost it up there.

ps. i own onx maps also but i only use it for property boundaries. It is just to slow for me, takes a bit to load layers and when you move around it has to load all over again. It is a good map and app though just, i just like things to work faster.

Ive used gaia since beta version. I like it because it cashes everything i look at while i have service or wifi, rather then haveing to download i bunch of little blocks. I usually sit down and go to the area i want and start with the first layer and move it around everywhere i think ill be. Ill do that with all layers. Only 2 i really use. Last but not least is ill zoom in and out on the area so it saves it. Gaia syncs with your account so if you upgrade phones you just download the app and sign in and everything restores. Once everything is cashed(memory saved), when you get to the spot and open the app everything will be there and you can scan around without opening individual saved blocks or small chunks or land. One last tip is i open gaia before i leave town and turn gps on so i get a good gps lock before getting to the mountains. Ive had to wait 20 to 30 mins before to get a signal lock without doing this first. Once ive gotten the gps lock, i havent lost it up there.

ps. i own onx maps also but i only use it for property boundaries. It is just to slow for me, takes a bit to load layers and when you move around it has to load all over again. It is a good map and app though just, i just like things to work faster.

Exactly.

PhatSki

WKR
I love the Gaia app as well. Use it all the time for everything from backcountry skiing to hunting!!

OP
G

gelton

WKR
I have Gaia and plan on using it this year, the only thing that worries me is finding my tent in the dark...I have heard that the GPS on an iphone is not nearly as accurate as the one in the Garmin (like ~50 meters vs 3 meters) so going to bring both and may just leave the GPS in the tent if the Gaia works well enough...you guys noticed any issues on pinpointing exact locations in the dark?

It got me back to my hammock in trees in pitch dark . There is 2 options when you set a waypoint. Create waypoint or create waypoint near me . Pick the 2nd it more accurate
74a54e22328ada8bd44b656ff587f716.jpg

TheCougar

WKR
I've had no trouble with my iPhone GPS accuracy. I stopped carrying a standalone GPS about 18 months back and have never regretted it.

I wanted to go with the Gaia but didn't realize there's an annual fee if you want a map showing public vs private etc

I wanted to go with the Gaia but didn't realize there's an annual fee if you want a map showing public vs private etc

Yeah, unfortunately as far as I know you're stuck with Gaia or OnX for iPhone. Gaia Pro is a lot cheaper than OnX though so at least there's that. GaiaGps does support KML/KMZ import, but it only supports tracks and waypoints. I could write a tool that converts polygons to tracks to try and make public land boundaries free. I plan on experimenting with this kind of stuff this winter and making videos explaining how to use these apps to their full potential. I don't have an iPhone, but if they are well received and there is demand I could probably get a hold of one to do some iPhone versions.

Yea I wanted like a 1 time fee type of deal. I don't want a annual membership. I've heard lots of good things about backcountry navigator. But they don't make it for iPhones. Why they wouldn't.. I have no clue?

Yea I wanted like a 1 time fee type of deal. I don't want a annual membership. I've heard lots of good things about backcountry navigator. But they don't make it for iPhones. Why they wouldn't.. I have no clue?

Developing for the iPhone is a PITA. On top of that the rules and restrictions are absurd. The languages are completely different (Java vs Objective C). Apple will not approve your app for the store unless it follows strict look and feel guidelines on top of having to pay a fee for the "privilege" to become a developer for apple products. That on top of easier ad revenue is why almost every app is free on Android when the same app is pay on iOS. I have only payed for maybe 5 apps in using Android for 8 years.

After much agony and grief from DeLorme regarding my Explorer (unit would not stay paired with my iPhone 4) I finally got them to replace the unit (in transit now) and got a new iPhone 7. Hopefully both units work. But I would like to leave my garmin oregon GPS at home. Is there an app that'll do the same stuff? Mostly tracking for those midnight hikes with heavy loads.