Trail cams.........need a recommendation

Lil dude

FNG
So....I'm about to enter the trail cam market. It seems there is an endless variety and they all seem to have good and bad reviews. It seems virtually impossible to narrow down the selection without some personal recommendations.

So for someone in Montana what would be a great all around under $200 camera. I'd like decent photo quality, IR flash, quick trigger speed. It will be used for a bit of everything from watching bears and coyotes on our property to taking it up to our hunting area in the Bob Marshall for elk, grizzlies, wolverines etc. I want something rugged and reliable as some of these spots will be a days hike to get into. Thoughts on built in viewer would be good to.

I just need some decent recommendations.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have had very good luck with spy point cams and they don't break the bank. Reliable, good quality and housing that lets you lock them up if wanted. Running 5 of them currently

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like similar to force 11 as I spent 120-150$ on each over the last several yrs

OP
L

Lil dude

FNG
Check out www.trailcampro.com as they have reviews, prices and specs on nearly every trail camera out there. I am a reconyx fan and run a few of them year round, but they are on the spendy side.

Yeah I check their site out as well as several others but there are just to many models and 2 many reviews. A personal recommendation goes a long ways on this especially if it is someone out west in similar type terrain.

Pittstate23

Lil-Rokslider
I personally go for cams in the 3-5 mp range that don't have a bunch of fancy options. I would determine what you need. If you're like me and just want decent pics and good reliability, you don't want to make yourself pay for a bunch of options that you won't use and will make the interface more confusing. If you decide thats a route you want to go, I suggest checking out the moultrie lineup. The A-5 is a super solid cam for about $70 but won't do a lot of the things the 200 dollar cams will.

I have had very good luck with the browning cameras the past three seasons. Their boxes are good too especially in bear country. I've had two other cameras fall victim to inquisitive bears the last two years and many more close calls.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
avoid the bushnell and the wildgame innovations brand. definetely avoid the wildgame inovation. i've ok luck with the stealth ng42, browning ok. DO NOT BUY a stealth trail cam from camofire. generally refurbished.

oh, also, although i have stealth cams, their customer service is the absolute worst. they sell you a bad camera and rather than send you a new one, you have to pay to send the old back for service, 2-3 months wait.

these opionions based on my personal experience

Cledus

WKR
Can't beat the USA Trail Cams photo quality IMO!

Next up would be the Browning Trail Cams.

Clarktar

WKR
I use the moultrie cams, and I like them. Haven't had any issues yet, and they are afforable.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So....I'm about to enter the trail cam market. It seems there is an endless variety and they all seem to have good and bad reviews. It seems virtually impossible to narrow down the selection without some personal recommendations.

So for someone in Montana what would be a great all around under $200 camera. I'd like decent photo quality, IR flash, quick trigger speed. It will be used for a bit of everything from watching bears and coyotes on our property to taking it up to our hunting area in the Bob Marshall for elk, grizzlies, wolverines etc. I want something rugged and reliable as some of these spots will be a days hike to get into. Thoughts on built in viewer would be good to.

I just need some decent recommendations.

Call Camofire.com at 801-676-9631. They always have trail cameras cheap. Many are refurbs but I now have 5-6 of them and they all work great and cost significantly less than regular pricing. If you get one just MAKE SURE you test it before taking it out and setting it up for a couple months. If your test period goes well then the camera should do fine. I've found that trail cameras are either solid or they are broken and there's not much in between. Some of the cameras I have personally have terrible reviews online but I got a couple good units and I love them. It's smart to test any camera before you set it out whether new or refurb. The last thing you want is to put it up in the woods only to come back 2 weeks later to find that it crapped out after the first day.

PA 5-0

WKR
I personally go for cams in the 3-5 mp range that don't have a bunch of fancy options. I would determine what you need. If you're like me and just want decent pics and good reliability, you don't want to make yourself pay for a bunch of options that you won't use and will make the interface more confusing. If you decide thats a route you want to go, I suggest checking out the moultrie lineup. The A-5 is a super solid cam for about $70 but won't do a lot of the things the 200 dollar cams will.

what he said^^^^^. I have a back pack full of the $50 Tasco cameras sold at Walmart. Never let me down, take great pics and perform in extreme cold, unlike a couple of my $200 cameras that freeze up religiously. And if they get stolen, I'm not crying so much.

Pittstate23

Lil-Rokslider
what he said^^^^^. I have a back pack full of the $50 Tasco cameras sold at Walmart. Never let me down, take great pics and perform in extreme cold, unlike a couple of my $200 cameras that freeze up religiously. And if they get stolen, I'm not crying so much.
There's a wall full of tascos. I've had great luck with them as well.
47f2ae44db6aaccfda0d77048d550fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retterath

WKR
I have had 6 stealth cam G30 cameras for the last 3 years and really like them, never had a problem with them yet. You can get them on amazon for $100

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
as far as calling camofire, i am going to disagree. i have found brand new cams on ebay cheaper than the same cams that camofire is selling as re-furbs. also, i have gotten a bad one from camofire, (although it was stealth's fault not camofires). if you buy anything from camofire, check it out completely for working as soon as possible imo.

I have been a moutrie guy for about 10 years or so now. Great cameras and unless you buy the cheapest ones they sell you will not be disappointed. I would take a look at camlockbox webpage and look at the moultrie m-888 or m-888i, or the m-888 second gen, last years model. Hell even finding some older used m-80's those things are solid units as well. I stick to moultrie and have had no issues and have never complained about them at all. Only time I or my buddy has complained is when we bought one of the cheapest ones available. We go mid range now and have been happy ever since.

OP
L

Lil dude

FNG
So a couple more questions before I make my decision. How important is a picture viewer on the unit. Not necessarily to view all the photos you take but if you hike in somewhere 15 miles and set some up wouldn't it be nice to snap some selfies in case you needed to adjust angles range etc. It would seem easy to do this with the viewer, then adjust retest, and check again.

I guess how easy is picture setup on these in regards to picture angle, coverage, etc. without a viewer.

Secondly I was not going to worry about those python locks as if somebody wants to steal or trash this then so be it that lock ain't gonna stop them. But.....these cameras will be in thick grizzly and black bear country. I know the bears, wolverines, etc are gonna be super curious are they going to trash these camera bodies without a metal box.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally have never needed the viewer...practice at home to get an idea of range angles etc....I run cable locks through mine...as to critters yep many will get curious and bears can do damage, another reason to not go high priced units...for full protection will need a box but I have yet to lose one to anything in 6+ yrs but we know it can and will happen eventually.