OnX app not working consistently on I6

11boo

WKR
I bought the chip for my Garmin, and like that a lot. It came with the code to download the app on my phone.

I downloaded the app and all the maps needed. Works great in town/in service, but once on the mountain it is pretty spotty.
First time off grid I saved a waypoint, which showed me in Montana, not W Colorado.

I have used it in airplane mode mostly off grid. Push the off grid button and often nothing. Sometimes it works very well, the Garmin shows the same location.

I keep the iPhone updates done, is a 6 just to old for OnX?
For what it’s worth, I have a couple friends with the same app and same problem.

I have seen that with poor cell service, the app is sketchy. I was in Seattle for a day and then onto Alaska and the area was hit and miss with cell service, thus the OnX app was off and still showing me in Seattle.

No fault of the App at all.
If I am going off grid I save a map of the area, and then can successful use the app in most cases, even in shotty service areas.

How does it work on the phone when you are in good cell service areas?

cwegga

FNG
One thing I find with mine is I have to switch the app to offline mode and put my phone in airplane mode to get it to work right. It often doesn't work just switching the app.

When I go off grid, I have the phone in airplane mode to save battery life, and I believe that is how the off grid part is suppose to work any way.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
The off grid is where you save the maps you want to use when you are out of cell range. You then open the map you want to use in airplane mode and the app works great.

I would advise you to call OnX customer service line. They are very helpful and can get you up and running.

For me, I will never use the chip/gps set up again.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clicking “offline” at the bottom doesn’t force it to only use offline maps. You have to click this (circled in yellow). Last weekend I was using an offline map but it loaded very poorly since my phone had a bit of signal. Worked perfect after clicking this.
1746896f7954c008e5b0a76ec11e33cc.png

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Clicking “offline” at the bottom doesn’t force it to only use offline maps. You have to click this (circled in yellow). Last weekend I was using an offline map but it loaded very poorly since my phone had a bit of signal. Worked perfect after clicking this.
1746896f7954c008e5b0a76ec11e33cc.png

fng May be onto something. Don’t recall if I tried that, but I will. Thank you.

wapitibob

WKR
I use it on an Iphone 5, phone age isn't a factor.
OnX does not transition from service to no service, on it's own, very well. I also use wifi rather than cell data when saving off line maps. When I'm out in the field, I first turn the phone to airplane mode, then start OnX, then set OnX to "offline". Doing that, it has worked very well.