Spot has passed the Inreach

ScottP

WKR
Can you pair it with your phone like the in reach? I have the older delorme unit and almost never type on it... just use the app with my iPhone, it's slick.

FURMAN

WKR
The Inreach can get weather updates and has maps that are pretty close to OnX. I always carry my phone anyways so I can just type on the phone and send via the Inreach. It is nice to have more options but I would hardly say they passed Inreach.

Trial153

WKR
I am not seeing anything close to making me want to trade my garmin. No phone pairing no gps.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yeah, my (older) InReach just lives clipped onto the top handle of my pack so it gets a good signal. I never even look at it except to turn it on and off. All typing and messaging is done on my phone, and the map feature is a great bonus. I'm not convinced that new spot device is an improvement over what's already out there now.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Spot needed to do something before they went out of business..........

bcimport

WKR
Been testing one for work. I’m not impressed and recommended we buy the in reach. The spot interface isn’t good, no maps, list goes on and on. Doesn’t sniff my first gen in reach.

Dusty2426

WKR
I Had so many dead spots with my spot (totally useless in Africa) I went to inReach and have had communication everywhere

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've had two different spots and a Globalstar phone. They sucked on all accounts.

Dusty2426

WKR
I almost feel this thread was started by spot company plants lol. I have honestly never met a single person who prefers spot over inReach that have extensively used both.

bsnedeker

WKR
I almost feel this thread was started by spot company plants lol. I have honestly never met a single person who prefers spot over inReach that have extensively used both.

Wow, you've talked to a guys who have used this brand new unit that was just released??? Amazing the connections some of you guys have! I'm going to wait until I see some reviews from people who have touched it before I make up my mind.

Dusty2426

WKR
Wow, you've talked to a guys who have used this brand new unit that was just released??? Amazing the connections some of you guys have! I'm going to wait until I see some reviews from people who have touched it before I make up my mind.

If you believe that his unit hasn’t been in the field for nearly a year being tested you have no idea how the industry works! And unless they changed sat providers it’s going to be a light weight good idea paper weight. You can drive a rolls Royce but if you have a go cart motor in it you still have a go cart.

OP
slick trick

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
guys I am just pointing out there is a keyboard. I have a Inreach and like it - I don't like having to pair my phone and do typing- I don't like the fact I have to carry a phone- I don't like the fact that I have to keep 2 things charged to do 1 thing and that is send a message. 2nd I have Delorme and I like it but it is not made for typing. ONLY TIME I need a gps is to mark a kill, camp or where I am setting down my pack- other wise I do not need a phone or the gps anytime I am hunting as I hunt the same place and I know where everything is- all I need is something to send messages - and from the looks of it it just passed Inreach.

bcimport

WKR
if I didn’t have first hand experience with the unit I wouldn’t have made a comment, odd behaviour for the Internet I know. I was given a loaner by the spot commercial sales rep and still have it. My experiences are my opinion based on using it. To each their own but it doesn’t do anything more or anything better than the in reach.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you believe that his unit hasn’t been in the field for nearly a year being tested you have no idea how the industry works! And unless they changed sat providers it’s going to be a light weight good idea paper weight. You can drive a rolls Royce but if you have a go cart motor in it you still have a go cart.

Obviously I know that, and again, I'm amazed at the number of people on this forum that have first hand experience with it, it's very impressive!

I personally have seen zero reviews on this device and I am going to withhold my judgement until I see those actual reviews. I see some guys here that have gripes about it, but gripes are not a review. I'm in the same boat as slick trick...I don't like pairing my phone and using two devices for 1 thing and I don't need another GPS unit when I barely use the one I have. I also have no need for weather forecasts. Since that is the boat I'm in I'm intrigued by this unit. For you to imply that the two people (which would be me and Slick Trick) at the start of this thread are paid by spot is something I don't personally appreciate.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Dusty2426

WKR
Obviously I know that, and again, I'm amazed at the number of people on this forum that have first hand experience with it, it's very impressive!

I personally have seen zero reviews on this device and I am going to withhold my judgement until I see those actual reviews. I see some guys here that have gripes about it, but gripes are not a review. I'm in the same boat as slick trick...I don't like pairing my phone and using two devices for 1 thing and I don't need another GPS unit when I barely use the one I have. I also have no need for weather forecasts. Since that is the boat I'm in I'm intrigued by this unit. For you to imply that the two people (which would be me and Slick Trick) at the start of this thread are paid by spot is something I don't personally appreciate.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Well obviously you can’t understand the joking context of “I almost feel” and the lol. In no way did I say you were or implied you were. But continue to wear your feelings on your sleeve and use what works for you! Hunt on and be safe

bsnedeker

WKR
Well obviously you can’t understand the joking context of “I almost feel” and the lol. In no way did I say you were or implied you were. But continue to wear your feelings on your sleeve and use what works for you! Hunt on and be safe

Buddy, I don't know you from Adam and you don't know me. You can claim to be "joking" by impugning my motivations but since I don't know you I'm going to take that as an insult. When I am insulted I am going to defend myself. You can classify that as 'wearing my feelings on my sleeve' if that makes you feel better about yourself, but I think that says more about you than it does about me.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have a smart phone or a GPS - never needed either- but I am looking for a device that can send custom messages ( to appease my wife) and mark a kill. I know nothing about any of these device but it sounds like you guys know alot - suggestions?

gbflyer

WKR
Really doesn’t matter what the unit looks like or that it’s easily typed on. If they are still using the same set of Globalstar satellites, they don’t work as well as the InReach which uses the Iridium system. In fact there’s no comparison, I have both.