Delorme InReach SE Question

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to determine if you can drop a waypoint with the older model Delorme InReach SE and navigate back to it - ie a dead animal.
I need only Satilite texting 6 or so preset messages and the feature I just described. Nothing else.
I can get this model for $50 so its a cheap option.

FlyGuy

WKR
Not on the device itself, but once you pair it with your phone and download the earthmate app and the maps for your hunt area, then you can track your location, drop pins, etc etc. I have the old (yellow) SE. It just stays clipped onto the top handle of my pack so that it gets a good signal. Everything is done on the phone in airplane mode. I never even look at the InReach device itself except to power it on and off.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The garmin inreach exporer and explorer + both have fully functioning gps with and without pairing it to your phone. The plus version has topo maps built in.

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have a smart phone and have no interest in gettin one.
So I need a device that can do it on its own.
Sounds like the older cheaper Delorme model isn't going to do it.

muddydogs

WKR
The garmin inreach exporer and explorer + both have fully functioning gps with and without pairing it to your phone. The plus version has topo maps built in.

I would say the Explorer is a semi functioning GPS unit, with no maps in the unit and just a grid line map showing your tracks and waypoints its serviceable in a pinch but its not a fully functioning gps unit. The explorer + is definitely a fully functioning gps.

OP
If you don't want a smartphone then your just hampering yourself with an inreach. Sure the explorer + will do all you want to do but why not get the most out of your inreach purchase and get a smartphone to pair with it? Why only sent preset or quick texts messages when you can send any message you want? Why fight with the hunt and peck inreach keyboard when you can text with a phone keyboard? Why waste a lot of time entering contacts that you might not need when there in your phone and accessible?

Can you add a GPS chip to the inreach? I have a GPS map 62s but I'll be hunting alone this fall and would like something to send messages or SOS in the event I need it.

muddydogs

WKR
No you can't add a chip but with the Earthmate app on your phone there is little need for a chip.