Inreach rental vs ownership

Pgohil

WKR
Plan on using an inreach for my Sept archery hunt. Will be using my phone for good, so communication is the only need. Does anyone have experience with renting one? Recommendations?

What I like about rental:
Lower cost for this year. No monthly/yearly cost.
Always updated.
Each year the ability to get a newer model
What I don't like about rental:
Dont know how abused it's been. No ownership, no residual value.

What I like about ownership:
More familiar with the unit.
Lower yesterday to year cost over time.
I know how's it's been used/abused.
Long term resale value.

Dislike about ownership:
Inital cost
Yearly/monthly cost.
Can't upgrade unless I sell and buy new.
No insurance on a personal owned unit.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks all!

PD Gohil
WV

bsnedeker

WKR
Can you rent one? If so where?

I'm renting a Garmin this year but it is primarily a budget constraint for me as I had a bunch of other hunting gear I needed to upgrade first. I'm going to be buying one of these units for my next backcountry hunt (which may be 2020 with a baby on the way next year).

Renting is just flushing money down the toilet. I'd rather own as a general rule.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
A Google search will yeild several results. I've spoken with a few and each have their own plan/cost.

OXN939

WKR
About to pick up a Garmin Inreach Mini. $350 for the unit is a drop in the bucket compared to a single one of these trips, and, since it's brand new technology, it should be a while before it becomes defunct.

Not to mention, if you ever are in a true emergency situation, the discrepancy in cost between A) renting a unit and B) knowing that you own one that has been well-maintained with up to date firmware starts to seem pretty insignificant.