InReach preset message question

jb79

WKR
So I’ve been setting up my new inReach and have it synced to my phone and I am trying to figure out how to send preset messages to the people that I added in contacts. I have myself and 3 other people loaded in contacts on the inReach and when I send a preset message I am the only one that gets it.......

Squirrels

WKR
So I’ve been setting up my new inReach and have it synced to my phone and I am trying to figure out how to send preset messages to the people that I added in contacts. I have myself and 3 other people loaded in contacts on the inReach and when I send a preset message I am the only one that gets it.......
Log into your online account and verify who you have your preset messages designated to deliver to. I think you will straighten it out there. I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but I think preset meassages are also preset in who they ar delivered to; as in you can't change that on the unit itself, but I could be mistaken.

muddydogs

WKR
Squirrels is right, you need to go to your web account and set up who get's the preset messages from the message page.

OP
J

jb79

WKR
Thanks guys I think I found it, I’ll test it tonight. I was thinking that adding to my contact list on the inreach itself would put them in the preset messages but it looks like it’s under messages where you edit the actual message and recipient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Piggy backing on this what do you all like for your messages? I need to set mine up this week. For me they're just going to be check in messages for the wife to capitalize on the free part. I was figuring an everything is okay one, running late but okay one and I didn't know off hand on the third. Not a huge point in using a preset for I'm hurt or such as at that point who cares if you're getting charged for messages. What do you all use?

muddydogs

WKR
I like " I'm ok, love you" Takes care off everything I need to or have to say to the wife in one free message. On the other two I have the generic "I'm ok" and "I'm running late"
I don't use these as much as I should since they can't be sent from the phone app but I need to since I sometimes run over the 40 messages included in my plan.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Piggy backing on this what do you all like for your messages?
Everyone is different, but this list works really well for me and my wife. For events like 'running late', I'll just send a text message

Message 1 Just checking in and I'm OK.
Message 2 Leaving vehicle or arriving back at vehicle.
Message 3 Setting up camp or leaving camp.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
heres what I am using,
1. Everything is fine, still hunting, Ill text you later..
2. no phone service, everything is going ok. nothing new to report. did not get anything today.
3. made it through the night, going to start hunting, i will text back later tonight when I get back to tent.

Also i went with the plan for just this month that gives me 40 texts messages as well and unlimited presets...

oenanthe

WKR
Everyone is different, but this list works really well for me and my wife. For events like 'running late', I'll just send a text message

Message 1 Just checking in and I'm OK.
Message 2 Leaving vehicle or arriving back at vehicle.
Message 3 Setting up camp or leaving camp.

Mine are similar:
1) "Making/leaving camp." (I send this every morning and evening).
2) "I'm OK, just checking in."
3) "I'm OK but I need help, please reply."

Vids

WKR
Mine:

1. In camp and everything is okay. (sent at the end of day)
2. Out hunting and everything is okay.
3. Got my elk!! No help needed, will send pics later.

Anything else, like needing help with an animal, car trouble, etc, I will send a custom message. If I'm hurt, the SOS button gets hit first if necessary, then the family gets updated after that.

xziang

WKR
Can't recall exactly but:
1. On the move this is my current location <-- leaves bread crumbs pretty much
2. Taking a break this is my location, haven't seen anything.
3. This is my final spot and more than likely my camping spot for the evening.

oenanthe

WKR
This seems rather wasteful of a preset was my thought, if I need help I'll send a text, you're already incurring cost asking for the reply. I figured use the presets all for routine check in messages that don't require a conversation.

Well, so far I haven't ever sent that one. I figure it would be a good way to initiate a conversation without having to type in anything (which I find tedious since I don't have a cell phone).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, so far I haven't ever sent that one. I figure it would be a good way to initiate a conversation without having to type in anything (which I find tedious since I don't have a cell phone).

There are quick messages you can program too right? I didn't look that hard when setting it up. I think I'll let my hunting partner use the 3rd slot to send a message to his wife at this stage.

cnelk

WKR
Yes- you can set up 'Quick Messages' too. same as pre-set - just edit and save - then sync.

My pre-set messages are like this - 'Checking in all ok. no need to reply'
This saves a lot of unnecessary chit chat.

Some of my quick text are :

Animal down
Stay there heading your way
Come this way

If/when you do have to communicate a lot, be sure to use ALL of your 260 characters in the message.
Abbreviate, short words, no spaces, no punctuation

Squirrels

WKR
Pre sets don’t count against against message allotment of your plan but I believe quick messages do just FYI.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If/when you do have to communicate a lot, be sure to use ALL of your 260 characters in the message.
Abbreviate, short words, no spaces, no punctuation

Yeah I coached the wife up on it, please consolidate any replies into full messages not few word blips.

Pre sets don’t count against against message allotment of your plan but I believe quick messages do just FYI.

Correct. Thus an "I'm hurt" type one would be a fine quick message and at that point I'm fine paying for it, haha, I want to use my presets to maximize good will on the home front with regular usage. :)