SD Card reader for iPhone 5S

I was swapping out the memory cards on my trail cameras this past weekend and had a thought. Wouldn't it be nice if there was an SD card reader that plugged into my iPhone or connected with it via WiFi or blue tooth?

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any such device/adapter that would allow me to view my trail camera photos on my iPhone while in the field?

Thanks for any info! Smokepoler63

OP
Smokepoler63
Thanks Elkfitness, but from what I have read, these work great for iPads, but do not work on iPhones.

Guess I should read your question better. I have one of these and an iPhone 5s, but use it on an iPad. My mistake:)

wapitibob

WKR
They're available, buddy just grabbed one. Work slicker than greased owl sh&&. Copy to phone, delete, all that stuff. I'll post it up shortly when I get home.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
I have been using the same type of deal on my Samsung phone. Picked it up from amazon for $12. I transfer all the pics to a 64gb card on my phone and the I can put them on the computer when I get home. Works pretty good but if you have a lot of pictures be ready to wait 15-20 minutes for them to all transfer over.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same one! light, doubles as a charger as well!!! I carry it almost all the time out hiking just in case i run across a cam i can be like a ninja and delete the photos of me:)
They're available, buddy just grabbed one. Work slicker than greased owl sh&&. Copy to phone, delete, all that stuff. I'll post it up shortly when I get home.

Bone View and Stealth Cam both make one. I have the Stealth Cam and it works fine. I also you the bone view lifeproof connector.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought one and it only worked on my pad and not my 5S until along the way they made a software change and now it works great.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
I use the stealth cam on my iPhone and it's worked great for me just download the app and you get the pictures easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do these card readers require you to reformat the sd card before it will read it? I have some cameras that if you reformat the card they then won't work in the camera.

I use Browning cameras and an iPhone 7 Plus. The Apple SD card reader works great but if you have 10k+ pictures the iPhone (One camera this year had 27k due to misplaced east facing) you have two options. Import them which sucks the life out of your phone and takes over an hour when you have thousands of pictures, or let the iPhone read each picture (which takes quite a bit in itself) and all you get is a very small preview square which I would never recommend.

Two scenarios play out for my every year out west.

1. I'm always looking for new locations if I feel good about a spot I drop a camera and some salt in early July and come back by end of July to see what happened. I usually run this at smaller picture intervals. I'll show up to the site, grab the SD card, swap it with a new card, and will let the card extract to my phone. What I found last year was even with 1k pictures it still takes a lot of time. I ended up planning it so I could leapfrog to the next camera spot and not sit idle for an hour to see if the camera was worth keeping or take away. Depending on the extract I might go back and take the camera out (I'll take a new way back and keep scouting) or be stoked that I've got a good productive spot.

2. If I know the camera is in a good spot and I know I've got good pictures I'll just swap SD cards. From here I have two options, wait until I get home if I'm not hunting the area to pop it into my Mac or I'm currently hunting the area and it's 10am and I'm waiting to hunt elk in the afternoon I'll pop the SD card in and let it import as I hike.

Here are the keys to importing into your phone though while you hike! Turn your phone into lower power mode (Settings > Battery Low Power Mode) and keeping the phone in airplane mode (Settings > Airplane Mode). This little trick will save your battery while importing, it's nuts.

The caveat to those settings though is it KILLS your GPS accuracy. So, if you're using some like Gaia GPS just be aware of that if setting waypoints.

Yes, you can reformat the card on your phone (I think it actually just deletes) and pop it back in a Browning camera, how it works for other cameras I'm not sure.

Anyways, that's my two cents after playing around with an iPhone, the Apple SD card reader, and my cameras.