Still a need for a dedicated GPS?

4ester

WKR
With today's advancements in cell phone technology, is there still a need for a standalone gps?

I cannot remember the last time I used my Garmin Oregon, so thinking about selling the thing.

How does everyone else feel about this?

>>>-------------------->

I have been using my Android phone as my sole source of maps and GPS since Android Cupcake (2009) on my HTC Hero.

One essential app that will help you diagnose and fix any GPS issues is called GPS Status. It gives an interfact much like Garmin from 15 years ago. It will allow you to clear and reset the AGPS data (augmented GPS, this is the data file for using cell towers and wifi to assist in faster and more precise geolocation). GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play

The best free app is US Topo Maps Free US Topo Maps Free - Android Apps on Google Play

The best payed ones kind of depend on your personality. If you are very computer literate and can work around a complicated but powerful app than Backcountry Navigator is right for you, otherwise GaiaGPS or OnX Roam are better options.

If you want to do hunt planning on your desktop and sync to your device then you will need Gaia Pro or OnX Hunt. Both are relatively expensive subscriptions (~$30 per year).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do they have good waterproof cases you can still work the phone in gloves in? That's what comes to mind for me, snow blowing and thick gloves I can still work the buttons on my gps which is getting soaked.

Do they have good waterproof cases you can still work the phone in gloves in? That's what comes to mind for me, snow blowing and thick gloves I can still work the buttons on my gps which is getting soaked.

I have a Sony Xperia Z3V which is 100% waterproof. Earlier this summer while fly fishing it spent 5 minutes at the bottom of the lake while we waited for the silt to settle out enough to find it. That being said the OtterBox cases work pretty well (although my dad's makes it hard to hear him on the phone). The Sony's also have a 'glove mode' that you can turn on, but another option is to put a little bit of conductive thread on the finger tips of your gloves.

Amazon.com: SeeedStudio - Conductive Stainless Steel Sewing Thread - 22 Meter/72ft - DIY Maker Open Source BOOOLE: Toys & Games

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Given that I still use a flip-phone, sure.....I like my GPS. Beyond that, from what I hear about people's phone battery life (or better yet, lack thereof), I wouldn't go out without my GPS.

But a "need"? No......I would be just fine without the phone and GPS.

I've been trying to leave the GPS at home on a couple short trips this year. I use my iPhone with the OnX app, and I can't say I'm terribly impressed by it.

The GPS in your phone takes much longer to acquire signal, and I find a GPS to much more user friendly for on the go waypoint marking, tracking, navigating to potential new areas, etc.

Which isn't surprising since that's the GPS' primary function and ranks pretty low on the list of functions for your phone. I'm also speaking from the point of using saved maps and navigating when out of cell service, which is where the majority of my hunting takes place. When in cell service I find it to be the best option for not carrying two devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a Sony Xperia Z3V which is 100% waterproof. Earlier this summer while fly fishing it spent 5 minutes at the bottom of the lake while we waited for the silt to settle out enough to find it. That being said the OtterBox cases work pretty well (although my dad's makes it hard to hear him on the phone). The Sony's also have a 'glove mode' that you can turn on, but another option is to put a little bit of conductive thread on the finger tips of your gloves.

Amazon.com: SeeedStudio - Conductive Stainless Steel Sewing Thread - 22 Meter/72ft - DIY Maker Open Source BOOOLE: Toys & Games

Have you tried any of that thread? I'm curious how well it works.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm the guys that just use their phone, does your gps work when you out of service? On my android my gps doesnt seem to work when I cant hit a tower.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using my Android phone as my sole source of maps and GPS since Android Cupcake (2009) on my HTC Hero.

One essential app that will help you diagnose and fix any GPS issues is called GPS Status. It gives an interfact much like Garmin from 15 years ago. It will allow you to clear and reset the AGPS data (augmented GPS, this is the data file for using cell towers and wifi to assist in faster and more precise geolocation). GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play

The best free app is US Topo Maps Free US Topo Maps Free - Android Apps on Google Play

The best payed ones kind of depend on your personality. If you are very computer literate and can work around a complicated but powerful app than Backcountry Navigator is right for you, otherwise GaiaGPS or OnX Roam are better options.

If you want to do hunt planning on your desktop and sync to your device then you will need Gaia Pro or OnX Hunt. Both are relatively expensive subscriptions (~$30 per year).

You have talked enough about this on here I think we need you to write an article this. : )
I, personally, always find your posts very informative.

As for the battery issues on post brought up, if I can recall you had a plan for that to. Some combinations of settings on the phone and alternative power sources / charging? Either that or someone else mentioned in a previous thread on this.

Either way thanks for the info.

You have talked enough about this on here I think we need you to write an article this. : )
I, personally, always find your posts very informative.

As for the battery issues on post brought up, if I can recall you had a plan for that to. Some combinations of settings on the phone and alternative power sources / charging? Either that or someone else mentioned in a previous thread on this.

Either way thanks for the info.

Yeah, it's on my list for a project this winter. I want to make videos on how to use each of these as effectively as well. The problem is that Android has changed a lot and some of the strategies/tricks I used to employ aren't necessary anymore. In response to some issues others mentioned:

Time to GPS fix:
Phones don't have very big GPS receivers and due to the fact that apps are constantly asking for your location for the purposes of advertisement, Android plays a lot of GPS tricks under the covers to improve battery life. In the early days of Android you couldn't hope to have your phone last all day because every app you had was constantly asking for your location to bombard you with ads. Now Android uses GPS as a last resort and first uses cell tower and wifi triangulation is the first resort because those antennas are on anyways. Google's street view cars have been mapping out the MAC addresses of Wifi routers all over the world and now your phone can quickly guess where you are just based on what routers are in range without having to turn on the GPS antenna. As far as GPS is concerned: I am pretty sure most phones keep the chip powered off, unlike dedicated GPS units, so starting from scratch will take a while due to the incredibly complicated clock synchronization required. That being said, it usually takes about 20-30 seconds on my phone. Also, I don't turn my GPS on all that often and if you know how to read a map you are really only turning it on for verification purposes.

Battery Life:
This is the major drawback, but the main consumer of a cell phone's battery when in airplane mode is the screen. The only other thing that can drain battery is a graphics heavy game (ie PBA Challenge will drain a battery in about 2 hours). If you were to only use your phone for navigation I would estimate 2.5-3 days per charge with airplane mode on. That being said, I use my phone for more than that including playing music and playing games while falling asleep or sitting a water hole. My phone could last 2 days if I limit my game playing to games that don't do much for graphics and keep the brightness turned down. I have a system where I use 18650 batteries for my flashlight and also have an 18650 charger that will output USB power.

Hmmm the guys that just use their phone, does your gps work when you out of service? On my android my gps doesnt seem to work when I cant hit a tower.

Yes it does. GPS will work while in Airplane mode. What phone do you have? Older versions of Android required an app to make this work called GPS Airtime. You may need to change some settings in location services.

Samsung Galaxy Prime.

So assuming you have the latest update you should be on 5.1.1 Lollipop. Go to Settings > Location and verify that the toggle in the top right is on and the mode is set to "High Accuracy". Install GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play and put the phone in airplane mode. Now open "GPS Status" and you should see some green bars that show which satellites you are getting a signal from. Once you have 3 you should get a fix with location data at the bottom.

08uO8bA9Li4p5DDYRey59V-1Wcacn_InAdlAA9G5zPJ7aZKnGKvjIBA-o4q796M256IcagGaMbgG6g=w848-h979-no

vanish

WKR
I paid like $400 for a "real" GPS about 10 years ago. Man, did it suck compared to my old iPhone 3. I still use that thing for GPS.

1.) Lock the SIM, this prevents cell signal and saves battery.
2.) Shut down all apps, including your GPS app, until you need it.
3.) Reduce brightness to minimum visible level.

Don't try to track your location, that just sucks up juice. I can go a whole week on a single charge.

I am rolling with a Garmin 64s, Delorme inreach and an iPhone 6 w/onx maps app. I am the wrong guy to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
My Garmin Oregon eats batteries like candy. If I only use my phone for occasional locations it lasts for a few days. I have been in places I cannot get a signal on either device, so not sure I'm losing much performance. Very similar functionality between the two, just saving a bunch of weight by not packing the Garmin, case, batteries etc.

>>>-------------------->