Wireless Trail Cameras - recommendations?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody using wireless trail cameras? I know western hunting (like alaska) doesn't always lend itself to use of trail cameras, but I've decided I need to add a wireless camera or two for use at our property in Wisconsin. I currently have several Moultie M1100s and Moultrie now has a "Wireless Field Modem" but it requires hanging two different items on a tree, doubling the chance of being seen by four and two leggeds. :/
The brands that ive seen for wireless/cellular are Bushnell, Spartan, Covert and Amcrest(?).
I tend to buy brands with a good reputation, but it seems more and more like I'm just going to have to take a plunge on one and see how it goes. Let me know if you have any experience with any of them. Thanks!

Chris Roe

FNG
Hey - Just now seeing this.

I purchase exclusively through Game & Trail Camera Reviews - Trail Cam Buying Guides-Trailcampro.com. Go there, and check out their reviews of Cell Cams. I use Spartan GoCams - both the ATT and Verizon NoGlow versions. In my opinion, for the money, they are awesome! As far as their performance, I think they are a great camera for the money, but take a look at TrailCamPro, and see what your budget allows. Good luck!

rbljack

WKR
I tried one last fall; purchased a bushnell aggressor wireless trail camera and went on a scout trip to NM to set it out. It worked ok as a trail camera, but did not have good enough reception in any of the mountainous spots that I wanted to set it. Got lots of good pics of elk, deer and coyotes, but they would not upload to the server can I could not view them from back home. Big bummer!

One thing to keep in mind is that the bushnell works off the ATT network, so you have to check the map of the location where you intend to place the camera and make sure they have the coverage. Despite the fact the location I used the cam in NM was listed, the mountains seemed to decrease signal strength and it didn't send pics out.

Despite that fact, I bought a second one for local use, and its been a lot of fun. Works better here (in the flats of texas) for whitetails.

Over on another forum, we got to talking about them (wireless camera options), and I compared mine, to the picture quality and what others had to say about theirs. Might want to check out the Spartan...you can read about it here...I am posting the link to that (assuming that's ok).

If this is a no-no moderators, feel free to remove the link:
Cellular Trail Cams? - TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums

If they need to remove the link above, here is what I posted over there regarding the Bushnell Agressor wireless Trail Camera:
I have two of the bushnell aggressor wireless cams, and here are my observations so far with about 3 months use. I bought the first one for our NM Mule deer hunt in the mountains which is 5 hours away. I ensured my buddy had ATT service first, which he did. Bought the cam and although it took some great pics of elk, turkey, coyotes and deer, I could not find a location where the wireless service would work. We verified my buddies phone worked at the same location we tried the cam, but no go, so that was a bummer. I bought a second one for use at a local property. It has worked fairly well, and I have to say that its kind of additing when those text messages show up, you just HAVE to go look and see the pic is going to be. We did notice that for whatever reason, it wasn't taking a picture of a deer when it should have been. I know this for a fact because we were watching the deer from the blind, but never got a single picture of the deer. No idea why though?? That same camera has taken many nighttime shots of deer though, and a few daytime shots, but not as many. So the jury is still out on the sensor. It may be a positioning thing, and I may have to try moving the camera.

The other thing I love about the camera is the ability to change settings remotely. My nighttime shots were too dark at first, so I was able to go in remotely and change the Nightime shutter speed from medium to slow. The pics blur a bit more, but I was able to get more range out of the IR flash and illumate the deer better. Battery life is hard to judge because it depends on how you have the camera set up. I haven't messed with the video mode yet, but do like the field scan option too. Used it, and like it for scanning fields or meadows. The wireless cams will also function as a regular trail camera, so you aren't stuck spending money on the data plan when you don't need it. Overall im happy with the one that is being used locally. I was disappointed that the NM set up didn't work. I plan to swap the cameras on our next trip out there and see if there is a problem with that specific camera, but I think it was just due to the mountainous terrain.

I also like the smaller physical size of the Bushnell. I will probably pick up the solar panel to go with the camera that is here locally so I can get more pics per set up. feel free to ask me any questions you have. I don't have a lot of time with the cameras yet, but they have been fun so far.

Last edited: