The New inReach Explorer

Hunter6

WKR
Am I missing something. Other than looks and price there is no difference to the new garmin inreach. I'm looking at getting the SE edition. Does someone see something I don't. I don't want to pay 100 more for the looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Screen size is double on both (battery about the same) and the Explorer+ has shaded relief topo maps with a super fast refresh rate. The SE+ basically became the old Explorer with a grid map. The interface is similar, but much easier to use in my opinion (more responsive and buttons are less "sticky"). The weather feature on the device itself is much like what you would have found on the app before...cleaner and with simple graphics. The SOS button is in a place easier to use with one hand, yet less likely to be accidentally activated and the power button is tight against the antenna so it is less likely to be turned on or off if rubbing something. I used it without the app for the last two weeks of season in Idaho and loved it...I was skeptical even as an employee. I am a hunter and rokslide user so ask me some questions! View attachment 45819... Josh (delorme rep turned garmin rep)

wentrot

FNG
Been eyeballing the inreach explorer, do you figure it's worth going with the new model? Larger screen is definitely nice. Hoping it fits the bill as a GPS as I don't really want to carry a separate device

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

cocky84

WKR
Screen size is double on both (battery about the same) and the Explorer+ has shaded relief topo maps with a super fast refresh rate. The SE+ basically became the old Explorer with a grid map. The interface is similar, but much easier to use in my opinion (more responsive and buttons are less "sticky"). The weather feature on the device itself is much like what you would have found on the app before...cleaner and with simple graphics. The SOS button is in a place easier to use with one hand, yet less likely to be accidentally activated and the power button is tight against the antenna so it is less likely to be turned on or off if rubbing something. I used it without the app for the last two weeks of season in Idaho and loved it...I was skeptical even as an employee. I am a hunter and rokslide user so ask me some questions! View attachment 45819... Josh (delorme rep turned garmin rep)

Is it compatible with the onxhunt map sd chip?

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Question: If your spouse sends a text message while you are in woods with unit turned off, will it pick up the message when you turn it on?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Been eyeballing the inreach explorer, do you figure it's worth going with the new model? Larger screen is definitely nice. Hoping it fits the bill as a GPS as I don't really want to carry a separate device

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It works REALLY well paired with a cell phone. Uses the inReach gps and gives you a giant touch screen GPS on your cell phone. The OnX maps app works well for looking at terrain but I've had way better luck navigating with the inReach mapping program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Question: If your spouse sends a text message while you are in woods with unit turned off, will it pick up the message when you turn it on?

I'm about 99% sure it does - I run around most of the time with the unit off and turn it on to check in - sometimes I'll get a "reply" message back from the past when I turn the unit back on.

I still have the original and until Delorme makes another one that runs on AA batteries I'm going to hold onto it. Love the original for that reason. I've had it since 2012 and it still works flawlessly. Weather would be a cool feature but I pretty much get everything else on my iPhone.

dotman

WKR
I still have the original and until Delorme makes another one that runs on AA batteries I'm going to hold onto it. Love the original for that reason. I've had it since 2012 and it still works flawlessly. Weather would be a cool feature but I pretty much get everything else on my iPhone.

I prefer having the built in battery as I always have a battery pack to charge multiple items from gps, inreach, cell phone, camera, go-pro etc and have no need to carry a ton of batteries or limit use. I now only carry extra batteries/battery for my headlamp only.

I prefer having the built in battery as I always have a battery pack to charge multiple items from gps, inreach, cell phone, camera, go-pro etc and have no need to carry a ton of batteries or limit use. I now only carry extra batteries/battery for my headlamp only.

I do the same. I've been using a Dark Energy Poseiden for the last season and love it. And I'm like you in that I rely on it to power a lot of electronics in the field. With regards to the InReach, I just prefer the AAs. It runs off of two AA batteries which weigh an ounce (it's the only device I need AA batteries for now so I typically only am carrying one extra pair). For an SOS device, the AAs feel a little more dependable/reliable than relying on the battery pack/cable combination, particularly when I'm relying on the battery pack for other devices (phone, camera, etc).

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Do any currently available DeLorme model InReach units run off AA batteries?

Squirrels

WKR
I just bought a Inreach 1.5 which is the model with no screen that runs on AA batteries, scored it on ebay. It's not here yet but it may be just what I am looking for, time will tell.

Ive got a question on all of the inreach devices, older and new.

The 100 hour battery life that they talk about, is that accurate if you have the device on AND connected to the phone at all times?

I want to just put the inreach in my pack where I don't have to worry about it and only have my phone out, but if my wife texts me, I want to get it immediately, not wait to reconnect and all of that later on in the day. But, I also won't have enough battery pack with me to charge it every day. If I could get 3 days with it on at all times, I think that would be enough.

colonel00

WKR
I'll defer to someone that's has better info but I'd doubt that it would last that long with a constant BT connection but it might. It might also cause more drain on your phone too. However, you really don't want this thing tucked away in your pack. It needs to be able to see the sky, just like a GPS. Worst case, leave it attached to your pack on the outside so it can connect. Also, I'm not 100% sure that the BT connection stays active all the time. Eventually the inReach or your phone will go to sleep and that may break the connection. Interested to hear from someone that has used it more.

I've only used the connection with a phone on a limited basis. It's definitely nice if you are using the mapping features or need to type out long messages. For me, I found I just like to use the unit as it is. It keeps me from draining two devices when I don't really "need" to. Plus, having the inReach in a place where it has a view of the sky should allow you to quickly read any incoming messages.

If it supported Bluetooth 4.1 or higher you would most likely be able to leave it on all the time, but since it most likely is only 2.0 or 3.0 then you will want to make sure and turn it off. I would have to verify if turning it off at the phone would be sufficient. If so, you could turn on the bluetooth on your phone when you hear it beep and it should connect without having to take it out of your pack.

Another major advantage that I just noticed in the newer models is a trans-reflective TFT display. This means that it allows the sunlight through the display and reflects it back out which means that in full sunlight you are still able to see it and can also get away with a much lower brightness therefore saving battery. These displays have not seen wide use yet due to a slower refresh rate which is why they have not made it into too many electronics yet, but should be sufficient for the needs on this device since you aren't playing games or watching movies.

dotman

WKR
I found myself not connecting it to the phone very often and just typing a short response from the unit itself or a preset message.

I found myself not connecting it to the phone very often and just typing a short response from the unit itself or a preset message.

Same here, don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. The short character limit makes you keep it short anyway, so it would take longer to hook up my phone most of the time.

dotman

WKR
I used the old version attached to my phone a lot. The phone interface is way easier to use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Easier sure I guess if connected but it's not like it's hard to type on the unit.