The New inReach Explorer

Trial153

WKR
I had pretty much had nothing in the way of service last month in NM ...my wife hammered out messages on inreach. Very thank for the phone interface as it makes it much easier. Wasn't so thankful for the bill but alas it was worth it to keep things a little smoother on the home front.

Hey guys, I got the new Explorer+ a month or so ago, but just spent the time to get it all setup. This was my first inReach device, so I didn't know what to expect really.

It was super easy and intuitive to setup, activate, and configure. I think the buttons and layout are really straightforward and simple. Overall I am pleased. Start to finish with the unboxing, registering, picking a plan and all of that - I was sending a test message to my wife within about 30 mins. This is one of those products you can tell just works....which is generally a good sign.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I hope the next version runs on AAs and has land ownership software. That would be just about perfect for me.

Ryan, I spoke with the rep the other day when he was in the store and he informed me that they are coming out with a land owner status mapping system for this unit.

ndbuck09

WKR
If I buy an older one on the used market, can I connect it to the sat network and buy the message plan?

If I buy an older one on the used market, can I connect it to the sat network and buy the message plan?

Don't see any reason why not. Might be worth asking InReach because they may have something similar to cell phone providers where you can get screwed if the previous owner was delinquent on charges or something. If so I would ask them if there is a way for you to provide them a serial number, device ID or something to check.

ndbuck09

WKR
I will look into it with them tomorrow!

Also found this little blog/review post when I was researching these. 12 FAQs and the guy, Andrew Skurka got Garmin to answer the questions. For me, I run a Garmin Oregon with an awesome topo and don't need any screen really at all so I'm interested in a lightweight inreach and there's a question specifically about an ultralight version that is stripped down to what you need simply to message and Garmin's answer basically is plead the fifth, which to me means its coming lol!

12 FAQ's: inReach SE+ & Explorer+ || Incl, Will old devices be serviced?

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the discussion guys. I'll probably pick one up next month or so since it looks like I'm solo this season. Her Ladyship isn't thrilled with the idea of me heading into the wild at my age. I don't have a "smart" phone or other electronics other than a GoPro and point&shoot, but they both recharge off my Goal Zero. This will work to keep her from worrying, and I like the tracking function so she can keep tabs on me.

This may have been already covered and if so I apologize....how much are the monthly plans? And can you buy just a month? I.e. if you are going on a trip and need a plan but won't be needing it for a while in the future?

Thanks

I bit the bullett and bought one waiting for it to get here so I can learn how to use the darn thing Its hell keeping up with technology

muddydogs

WKR
This may have been already covered and if so I apologize....how much are the monthly plans? And can you buy just a month? I.e. if you are going on a trip and need a plan but won't be needing it for a while in the future?

Thanks

They have two plan category with usage packages, one is a yearly plan and the other they call the freedom plan which is month to month. The freedom plans cost $10 more a month they the yearly plans. I started with the freedom plan but would forget to shut it down or shut it down only to have something come up and restart it so after a year I figured I was paying more on the freedom plan then if I just did a yearly plan so I switched the the yearly outdoor plan which is about $25 a month for 40 text messages. 40 text messages is enough except for the 2 to 3 weeks in Oct - Nov when I hit hunting camp but upon a little figuring I figured it wasn't worth paying the money to change to the next higher plan then dropping back down so I just pay the $0.50 per message if I go over. I take the unit with me all the time as I figure its a good backup communication since it will work about anywhere and there are still stretches of highway in the Western US that don't have cell coverage.

AdamW

WKR
After using one in CO last year and it working great, I'm in the market to buy one. Can't decide whether to go with the original SE or make the jump to the SE+ for the extra $100ish. Been holding out for a sale of some kind but I keep barely missing them it seems.

Mine is $15 plus activation fee for the new device- $37.58 total. you have a few choices depending on what/how you use it.

Thanks man, this is def on my list for things I need before Sept next year! I have determined that I won't be using mine as my main gps so is their a cheaper version to mainly be used for text? I see someone said they might be releasing a lighter weight version as well, has that come out yet?

There is the garmin inreach se
It doesn't have pre loaded maps and is $50 cheaper. I personally feel the $50 is worth spending and get the explorer+

I use my phone for maps most, in airplane mode with OnX Hunt Maps App.
The Garmin is my back up gps but also my emergency sos tool.

I also use a garmin fenix 3 watch for maps, tracking, gps etc.

dotman

WKR
It doesn't have pre loaded maps and is $50 cheaper. I personally feel the $50 is worth spending and get the explorer+

I’m just not sure what you gain with the explorer, the se displays the gps maps through the Earthmate app but I guess if you lost your phone it is extra insurance for only $50.

Its the redundant availability outside the phone- lost, dead, cracked screen, what ever

The battery life on these Garmin is incredible too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Its the redundant availability outside the phone- lost, dead, cracked screen, what ever

The battery life on these Garmin is incredible too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah it is amazing how much better the battery life is on the Inreach vs the Garmin gps products.

There is no reason this couldn't be your main GPS unit. It is good enough for that no problem.
Sure the screen isn't as big as most smart phones.
In todays tech abilities the smart phone with Onx is the way to go, for me personally.
But the Garmin InReach is no doubt a good enough system to be a stand alone GPS unit.
Just wanted to point that out.