The New inReach Explorer

muddydogs

WKR
There is no reason this couldn't be your main GPS unit. It is good enough for that no problem.
Sure the screen isn't as big as most smart phones.
In todays tech abilities the smart phone with Onx is the way to go, for me personally.
But the Garmin InReach is no doubt a good enough system to be a stand alone GPS unit.
Just wanted to point that out.

Why if your using the InReach and your smart phone are you paying for the ONX maps when for less money you could be using the Garmin Earth mate hunt addition?

I had the Onx app long before the Garmin In reach.
I have not played with earthmate much and don't have the Hunt version either.

I had loaded earthmate on my phone when I had the delorme unit, but utilized onx maps and kept the delorme as just my emergency system, and occasional waypoint or tracking system.

With the new Garmin, I have to decide which system will be my primary.
I have had Garmin GPS units before and got used to them and really like them.
The battery life on it is way better than my phones, even in airplane mode.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why if your using the InReach and your smart phone are you paying for the ONX maps when for less money you could be using the Garmin Earth mate hunt addition?

Because you get way better layers with the OnX than you do with the Earthmate app

muddydogs

WKR
Because you get way better layers with the OnX than you do with the Earthmate app

I would disagree with you on this for the most part. I don't see any difference between map layers with the two products, about the only thing ONX is better at is they have more landowner names on there landowner maps.

The earthmate app is nothing compared to the onx.
Is There is a new version of earthmate ?
I read something about earthmate hunt, but still cant find it. All that comes up thru a search is the original earthmate

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
I read something about earthmate hunt, but still cant find it. All that comes up thru a search is the original earthmate

Hunt is an add on service to Earthmate. Log into your Delorme account and there is a section where you can add services. It’s there. It adds layers to the Earthmate map kind of like how OnX does.

Hunt is an add on service to Earthmate. Log into your Delorme account and there is a section where you can add services. It’s there. It adds layers to the Earthmate map kind of like how OnX does.

cool thx I will give it a try later

muddydogs

WKR

I've compared the earthmate hunt edition and the ONX side by side in the field and would say that your dead wrong. Even just the free earthmate that comes with the InReach purchase has photo's, maps and land ownership maps that are just as good as ONX. The hunt addition adds game management units and land owner names to the mix.

I've compared the earthmate hunt edition and the ONX side by side in the field and would say that your dead wrong. Even just the free earthmate that comes with the InReach purchase has photo's, maps and land ownership maps that are just as good as ONX. The hunt addition adds game management units and land owner names to the mix.

Well you have your opinion and I'll stick with mine and actually to me,
You just proved my point.
Hunt boundaries are critical as I often hunt the fringes. And If I need permission to retrieve an animal or something else, I want the owners name so I can acquire info. And from memory there are a bunch more layers onx has that earth mate original doesn't. Like walk in access areas, WMU units, habitat areas.

The basic earthmate app doesn't compare on specific critical details to some people, maybe to you. The hunt edition, which I added today, seems to fill the gaps it was lacking originally.

I'm not saying you're dead wrong, you just have a different opinion.
But I am definitely liking onx maps for those hunts I don't need my emergency SOS unit. The onx /phone does it all well as the earthmate hunt edition seems to be right there.

There are reports that onx is adding new layers as well, like burn areas/dates- which again to some, might be great info to have.

To each their own.

muddydogs

WKR
Well you have your opinion and I'll stick with mine and actually to me,
You just proved my point.
Hunt boundaries are critical as I often hunt the fringes. And If I need permission to retrieve an animal or something else, I want the owners name so I can acquire info. And from memory there are a bunch more layers onx has that earth mate original doesn't. Like walk in access areas, WMU units, habitat areas.

The basic earthmate app doesn't compare on specific critical details to some people, maybe to you. The hunt edition, which I added today, seems to fill the gaps it was lacking originally.

I'm not saying you're dead wrong, you just have a different opinion.
But I am definitely liking onx maps for those hunts I don't need my emergency SOS unit. The onx /phone does it all well as the earthmate hunt edition seems to be right there.

There are reports that onx is adding new layers as well, like burn areas/dates- which again to some, might be great info to have.

To each their own.

How did I prove your point. You compared the somewhat free comes with the purchase of an InReach Earthmate app to the ONX paid app so your comparing apples to oranges then you go on to say that the paid hunt edition fills the gap. Yes the hunt edition fills the gap and it's only $40 a year for all 50 states.

ONX doesn't have a bunch of extra layers over the hunt edition, true ONX shows walk in access units where the Earthmate doesn't. I haven't found a Wildlife Management unit that I haven't been able to find on one layer of the Earthmate or the other.

I don't care how far from the truck or others I am, I have an InReach and I pay for service so the unit is strapped to my pack just in case I need it as one never knows when bad things are going to happen and I would be pissed if I was laying 100 yards from the truck bleeding out and didn't have my InReach so I could at least try and get help. I throw the unit in my truck when road tripping in case I have an issue somewhere without cell coverage.

You know that the Earthmate app works on the phone just like the ONX map without the InReach device right?

Yep I am, in fact I have had all 3 items talked about- the Delorme SE, now the Garmin In Reach SE+, and Onx .

The reason for the Delorme and now the Garmin is just what you said- the SOS features.
I don't use the system in some of my hunts, just not needed where I have cell service and no reason to carry it. Its faster to get a response and easier to call then hit the SOS button.
I also don't take it when I go out to eat, jogging, working out, or working, shopping cause my cell phone works in all these areas.
Pretty sure you don't take yours every where either?

As I stated so clearly before, you have your method, others have theirs depending on type of hunt and cell coverage.
I am liking the Earthmate, especially now with the hunt edition added, that has never been a dispute with me.

The whole point is the Onx variations trumped the original earthmate in what it DIDNT have, but now does.

It will be interesting to see the new layers from Onx and if they once again excel over the Garmin In Reach....
This set up really shines when groups hunt together and the expensive Delorme or Garmin Emerg devices aren't needed by all in the group.

I personally will not go into some hunt areas w/o my Garmin In reach. These areas are void of Cell coverage, but other areas it just isn't needed.

dotman

WKR
Yep I am, in fact I have had all 3 items talked about- the Delorme SE, now the Garmin In Reach SE+, and Onx .

The reason for the Delorme and now the Garmin is just what you said- the SOS features.
I don't use the system in some of my hunts, just not needed where I have cell service and no reason to carry it. Its faster to get a response and easier to call then hit the SOS button.
I also don't take it when I go out to eat, jogging, working out, or working, shopping cause my cell phone works in all these areas.
Pretty sure you don't take yours every where either?

As I stated so clearly before, you have your method, others have theirs depending on type of hunt and cell coverage.
I am liking the Earthmate, especially now with the hunt edition added, that has never been a dispute with me.

The whole point is the Onx variations trumped the original earthmate in what it DIDNT have, but now does.

It will be interesting to see the new layers from Onx and if they once again excel over the Garmin In Reach....
This set up really shines when groups hunt together and the expensive Delorme or Garmin Emerg devices aren't needed by all in the group.

I personally will not go into some hunt areas w/o my Garmin In reach. These areas are void of Cell coverage, but other areas it just isn't needed.

And Gaia trumps OnX, imo, after using all of these as well.

And Gaia trumps OnX, imo, after using all of these as well.

I have read a little on this Gaia
But if I over load my brain with too many systems I crash my hard drive.

Are you apple or droid?
I hear there is a difference depending which phone?

Sad thing is too often we get used to a system, and resist change.

I have been getting into the Garmin related items ( In Reach Explorer and Fenix watches, and Earthmate maps).

dotman

WKR
I have read a little on this Gaia
But if I over load my brain with too many systems I crash my hard drive.

Are you apple or droid?
I hear there is a difference depending which phone?

Sad thing is too often we get used to a system, and resist change.

I have been getting into the Garmin related items ( In Reach Explorer and Fenix watches, and Earthmate maps).

I’m apple and all the onX issues drove me nuts, for one their lack of land owner information, they don’t have 100% in their app. Gaia is much much better and you get all states for the price of one state with OnX.

Also I hunt 2 states sometimes more each year, OnX pricing sucks for what you get, I have to pay $99 a year to get a product that doesn’t always work and is constantly getting bug updates vs $29 for a product with more features that has so far been more reliable when offline and actually has 100% land owner info. My guess on the OnX pricing premium is because of all their marketing and people they sponsor.

Last edited:
I’m apple and all the onX issues drove me nuts, for one their lack of land owner information, they don’t have 100% in their app. Gaia is much much better and you get all states for the price of one state with OnX.

Also I hunt 2 states sometimes more each year, OnX pricing sucks for what you get, I have to pay $99 a year to get a product that doesn’t always work and is constantly getting bug updates vs $29 for a product with more features that has so far been more reliable when offline and actually has 100% land owner info. My guess on the OnX pricing premium is because of all their marketing and people they sponsor.

Yea they utilize social media a lot. My onx works flawlessly everywhere I have used it, guess it depends on your scenario and locations to how you like certain things. Word on the street is Gaia is IPhone friendly and biased and droids not so much.

muddydogs

WKR
mfllood3800
You keep bringing up using ONX when the InReach isn't needed, you do realize that the Earthmate app is a separate deal from the InReach unit and the Earthmate mate works on a phone just like ONX. Just asking since it seems from your posts that if you don't need the InReach because you have cell service then you use your phone with ONX and the way you state it it seems that you think you need the InReach unit on to use Earthmate.

mfllood3800
You keep bringing up using ONX when the InReach isn't needed, you do realize that the Earthmate app is a separate deal from the InReach unit and the Earthmate mate works on a phone just like ONX. Just asking since it seems from your posts that if you don't need the InReach because you have cell service then you use your phone with ONX and the way you state it it seems that you think you need the InReach unit on to use Earthmate.

Muddydogs

Your perspective of what I am saying is way off. For some reason you keep implying false information about what I am saying. Why do you do that?

I haven't even come close to what you are saying, cause I know all of my systems and how they work and would never say what you are implying I am.

I never mentioned or implied I needed the handheld device on, or with me to use the phone app, in fact in another thread I mentioned using the phone apps with no hand held units, or cell service with preloaded maps on the phone.
It seems you want me to be misinformed so you can appear as the more informed, why?
Cause I like a different system than you?

When I don't need my Garmin, I have a choice to use what ever freaking APP I want.
I just choose onx as I am used to it and like it better and for me IT IS BETTER. Why is it better? Cause All the States I hunt are already layered with the specific layers I want in this app. My waypoints are already marked as are my tracks. There is a ton of info in the onx app I utilize each year.

Troll someone else I am getting sick of your crap.

dotman

WKR
mfllood3800

To sum up what he’s been saying, he likes having a stand alone gps incase his phone craps out making it impossible to use Earthmate or OnX, but when his phone works he prefers OnX over Earthmate. Not sure where you got what you are saying. Now I don’t think OnX is the best option but he prefers it for his use which we all have our preferences.

Personally I’ve never had a phone issue other then batteries going dead but that is easily solved and today’s phones last much longer on airplane mode then even phones from 2 years ago. So I don’t see the need for a redundant GPS, but I also believe everyone should have a paper map and compass as electronics can fail.

Last edited:
To sum up what he’s been saying, he likes having a stand alone gps incase his phone craps out making it impossible to use Earthmate or OnX, but when his phone works he prefers OnX over Earthmate. Not sure where you got what you are saying. Now I don’t think OnX is the best option but he prefers it for his use which we all have our preferences.

Personally I’ve never had a phone issue other then batteries going dead but that is easily solved and today’s phones last much longer on airplane mode then even phones from 2 years ago. So I don’t see the need for a redundant GPS, but I also believe everyone should have a paper map and compass as electronics can fail.

Thx Dotman
I like onx simply cause I had it first and all my data is on it.
I had a scenario this year that caused me to evaluate my system. We all have our syatem based on what we have or haven't gone thru yet..

I killed a bull way back in a drainage. I marked several areas on the way in on my phone app- it was a nice cloudy evening hunt. I really went in to check cameras and check out a new meadow I discovered the day before.
It was an evening hunt, I killed a bull, rain set in and it was miserable on a vertical wall of this drainage I just hiked up almost 700 vert feet. I worked til midnight breaking the elk down, hanging meat and hauling the first load out.
In all that I forgot to turn off my phone or put in airplane mode and it died. It didn't break, crap out or get wet in the rain- I just forgot to turn it off as I didn't plan on what happened to happen.
The mountains in the dark are a different animal than in the light. I struggled to get out of where I was. From then on I decided the stand alone GPS unit is a must for me. Their battery life is tremendous and with the garmin I had my sos system all in one without the need for the phone.
But I refer phone apps- easier.
I now mark waypoints in the gps and the phone app onx- 2 separate systems. Cause when you are exhausted, 2 miles from spike camp, 7 miles from base camp, at night in the rain, I like the comfort of back up.

The only reason I am using the earthmate app is because of Garmin. There will probably be a transition from onx to earthmate, but not until I can rebuild a data base from one system to the other- and I personally don't think earthmate is any better than onx
Your Gaia might be, but I haven't messed with it other than a google search of reviews.

Just don't need anything more than onx at this time.

The issue is everyone has an opinion on their scenarios, and rightfully so. Mine is built a certain way for a real reason. What happened this year wont happen again. I will continue to modify anything and everything in my system as scenarios dictate.

muddydogs

WKR
Muddydogs

Your perspective of what I am saying is way off. For some reason you keep implying false information about what I am saying. Why do you do that?

I haven't even come close to what you are saying, cause I know all of my systems and how they work and would never say what you are implying I am.

I never mentioned or implied I needed the handheld device on, or with me to use the phone app, in fact in another thread I mentioned using the phone apps with no hand held units, or cell service with preloaded maps on the phone.
It seems you want me to be misinformed so you can appear as the more informed, why?
Cause I like a different system than you?

When I don't need my Garmin, I have a choice to use what ever freaking APP I want.
I just choose onx as I am used to it and like it better and for me IT IS BETTER. Why is it better? Cause All the States I hunt are already layered with the specific layers I want in this app. My waypoints are already marked as are my tracks. There is a ton of info in the onx app I utilize each year.

Troll someone else I am getting sick of your crap.

I'm just asking questions because the way you write things makes me think that you didn't know that the Earthmate app would work without the InReach. Why would one pay for both the ONX app and the hunt edition app, that doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe you need to work on your writing skills to convey what your saying instead of getting all mad and calling me a troll. From what I find in life the one that speaks the loudest and starts calling others names is the guy with the problem and is trying to cover up there own inadequacy.

As for crap you seem to be spewing the most misinformation, confusion and carp.