The New inReach Explorer

dotman

WKR
Looks exciting. I wonder what the premium weather package will cost.

Probably the same as it did last year, pretty cool feature actually but the current models have it as well.

Looks like you can add maps which is an upgrade.

Wow, they got that to market fast. Still an internal battery pack, and limited memory, which for some of us makes it a poor replacement for a real GPS. Screen time will eat up that battery, and I'd guess any long term use would see a guy carrying a USB batter pack for recharging. Seems to talk to EarthMate rather than Basecamp (maybe?), which if true would make it less than a true Garmin and more of a Delorme in a Garmin case.

I like where this is going, but suspect the next gen will be significantly better.

HOT ROD

WKR
I will have a inReah in 2017 to. Probably not this one. Just the base model for now. I like the direction its going though

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I hope the next version runs on AAs and has land ownership software. That would be just about perfect for me.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Seems pretty similar to the 2016 in reach explorer? Very little in upgrades other than looks.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
I hope the next version runs on AAs and has land ownership software. That would be just about perfect for me.

If this were available, I'd upgrade my base model SE today. This new model doesn't hit the mark high enough for me to consider upgrading my base model SE.

Battery life and the need to recharge is the biggest hurdle to me buying an InReach for extended hunts.

Brendan

WKR
Pretty sure you can get landowner info on this new one since it'll accept the onx maps.

Where are you getting OnX compatibility from? Basically the only difference I can see from the website is Topo Maps without having to use the EarthMate App. Can't see any difference (other than minor form factor) for the Inreach SE...

dotman

WKR
Under the specs for Maps it lists that is has the ability to add maps, being Garmin I would think that means the same as their gps but maybe not. I would ask if I was in the market to verify.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Im with the others, doesn't look like much of a upgrade to change out the current modells

Under the specs for Maps it lists that is has the ability to add maps, being Garmin I would think that means the same as their gps but maybe not. I would ask if I was in the market to verify.

It's not Garmin yet in anything other than name. I think the added maps are only in the cell phone app. This software looks exactly the same as the last model. Only a new sleeker looking shell and increased price tag (+$100 for the SE, $50 for the explorer).

oenanthe

WKR
Battery life and the need to recharge is the biggest hurdle to me buying an InReach for extended hunts.

Battery life is pretty good if you only use it briefly a couple of times a day. I was out for 15 days this year and still had plenty of battery at the end (about 1/3). This despite having left the unit on nearly continuously for days 13-14 while trying to arrange a flight out from a different strip. Up 'til then I'd used about 1/3 of the battery over 12 days; typically sending 2-3 texts a day and receiving an occasional text and forecast..